OT: Generator Recommendation

Page 2 of 2

Morgans wrote:

Or just tell the neighbors to take their generator inside.

ROTFLMAO! _That'll_ teach 'em!
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

My BIL had four relatives die from CO poisoning from running a generator in their garage. Their power had been turned off, but they had the money to pay the bill. They never figured out WTF they were thinking. Either about not paying the bill or running the generator inside the garage.
So, even regular people make mistakes sometimes, I guess. Too bad this one was costly.
Steve

What you will want to do is a watt-load calculation for all of the "vital" devices in the house. Freezer(s), refrigerator(s), furnace(or boiler, or heat pump), one lighting circuit, medical devices, sewage and/or water pumps, radio (not television), and anything else you need (one circuit also for phone chargers)
When you get your final wattage, add 10% then you have what you need. When I was selling generators, people get surprised as to what they will need. 5KW might seem like a lot, but you might only be able to run a refrigerator and freezer depending on the age and condition of them. Switching is a short term solution but after 24 hours, it will not do any good.
When you get your final wattage, add 10% then you have what you need. Find a dealer in generators and see what an LP version of what you need is going to cost you. I say LP as NG might not be operational. LP is in a tank on your property, so it is readily available. Diesel would be my second choice. The fuel stores longer than gasoline but is more expensive than LP to operate and can take longer to get delivered than LP in certain areas. LP dealers usually have an emergency phone number and deliver within hours of calling. Also LP tanks are available at Lowe's, HD, Wally World, or any convenient store. You would just need to make sure that you have the fittings on hand. Again, check all of your options.
Now if you only have occasional power outages (less than 3 per year, each only less than 48 hours), then a decent generator really isn't worth the investment. Then pick up a small generator. But then they take the same effort to install (correctly) than a decent 10-12KW version and would require gasoline. So I would check to see if there are any gas stations that use a generator themselves or you might be up the creek. Many gas stations don't use generators unless they are in a power outage prone area. In this area, I know of only one gas station that uses a generator.
Finally, check with your code enforcement/ building department. If you live in or near a larger metropolitan area, some do not allow portable generators. Some areas require you to have a permit to operate it. There are some things that they could require you to have as well.
Allen

Thank you for that. What you say makes nothing but good sense.
If you don't already understand transfer switches and tranfer switching, take some time and read up on it. You WILL need one for any extended power outages OR you will be running extension cords all over the place. Even with extension cords, you will still have issues with devices that are "hard wired" into your electrical system.
Pete Stanaitis ----------------
shooter wrote:

<snip>

For me the only critical hard wired device was the furnace so I added an outlet box and plug right at the furnace in the garage. Art

Get any brand with the type of voltage outlets and setups you are looking for that is powered by a genuine Honda engine.
It is the only engine that I feel confident in saying that it will start immediately after long periods of time without attention.
They will also start after filling up the tank, while it is very hot from a long, high power run.
--
Jim in NC