OT. Free Shipping Lee Valley

Page 3 of 4
Steve wrote:

Well glad that free shipping tip came in handy.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

they do... I requested that LV ship any order by UPS, and they were happy to oblige. Gotta love them
shelly
wrote in message

If I have a complaint with Lee Valley's service is it sluggish shipping. Most mail order companies seem to be able to get the box on the truck within a day, but even when everything is supposedly in stock LV seems to take at least several days, sometimes longer. That isn't a life-and-death issue, but who wants to wait for a shipment of shiny new tools any longer than necessary?

It's inexcusable to leave money on the table a second longer than necessary, IMO. The most successful mail-order businesses ship the same day. I got an order from McMaster-Carr within 48 hours (8:00PM Monday to Wednesday's mail) of placing the online order. Same for New-Egg and Amazon (my drill press took six days (Tuesday to Monday - the trucker called Friday afternoon to arrange delivery, Monday).
wrote in message

Funny you should mention Newegg, I'd never order from them again. I bought a video card from them that was DOA, and when I called to get a return authorization number they not only wanted me to pay return shipping but the woman in "customer service" gave me a lecture on how they don't actually have to take anything back, they could tell me to return it to the mfg. (the mfg. had already told me to send it back to Newegg). So I asked to talk to a supervisor and asked him if he wanted me to reverse the charge on my credit card and wait for them to send a UPS call tag or was he going to cover the return shipping without me doing a chargeback--he chose option two. I wasn't asking for a refund in advance, just for them to pay the shipping on a defective item. I can understand charging return shipping if someone just changes their mind, but on a defective product? That was the last time I ordered from them.

I haven't bought much from them recently (maybe once every four or five months), but I have bought a *lot* from them in the past. I've never had a problem with NewEgg. There are some products where their return policy is suspect. I go elsewhere. That's the nice thing about capitalism.
"They didn't actually have to take anything back"? Yeah, right. You did as I would have done, though. "Which orifice would you like this in? I can be nice and you can eat the shipping, or...".
DGDevin wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx
Here is an excerpt that may be applicable:
Newegg.com does not offer any express warranties. However, many of the products available through Newegg.com are covered by Manufacturers' Warranties. If a product is covered by a manufacturer's warranty, it will be stated on that product's web page. Manufacturers' warranty details are typically available at the manufacturer's website; click Contact Manufacturers to see a list of the manufacturers whose items we carry. Detailed manufacturer warranty information can also be obtained for free by contacting our Customer Service department. Please note that products in this category are non-refundable unless otherwise indicated.
Products that state "This item can be returned to the product manufacturer only" must be returned directly to the product manufacturer for repair or replacement, unless otherwise required by law. For these items, the warranty policy provided by the product manufacturer explicitly requires that any returns, repairs etc. be requested and processed directly by the consumer (or "end-user") of the item.
--

It sounds like you got what you wanted, and it doesn't sound like Newegg
was directly to blame. While I understand your frustration, I wouldn't
Bill wrote:

Tried them (Newegg.com) a few times and have no complaints. But living in California and using them I have to pay taxes or weird Landfill fees for items that have dangerous or what California thinks is dangerous substances made to use the product. I'd feel better if they gave you a coupon and when taken to a recycling electronic center you could redeem it for your cash back. But no California would rather collect a fee and have you dump the suspect item in a landfill. I now buy all my electronics at Tigerdirect.com and not charged ridiculous fees!!!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
On 3/20/2011 5:18 PM, DGDevin wrote:

I use Tiger Direct for most all of my computer and electronics purchases and they've been great; I've never had a single complaint with their service.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

I've heard at least 2 people complain about the products they sell. As if they might be selling "seconds" or something.
On 20/03/2011 10:38 PM, Bill wrote:

I've been dealing with Tiger Direct through the internet almost exclusively for computer parts and equipment (I build custom computers for others) for over six years and have never had a problem. In that time I returned one mother-board that was 'duff' and had the replacement in two days. Yes, they sell 'refurbished' equipment, as well as new. But the refurbished equipment is identified as such and is heavily discounted price wise.
Gil

I'll go one better than that: I once ordered some metalworking tools and supplies from MSC, online, at about 10:30 PM, for standard ground shipping. The box was sitting on my doorstep at 4 the next afternoon.
Of course, it helps that I'm in Indianapolis, and they're shipping from a warehouse in Elkhart IN (about 120 miles north of Indy), but still, I think that's pretty impressive. They're usually not quite that fast, but I don't recall *ever* waiting beyond the second calendar day after placing the order.
www.mscdirect.com -- no connection except as a very satisfied customer.

That would be an exception for me. McMaster delivery is next day if I have the order in by 5. The rare exception is if the item has to ship from another location. Our shipments come out of Chelmsford, MA.
snipped-for-privacy@snetnospam.net says...

Same here. Even weekends--I've ordered stuff on Sunday and had it on my doorstep Monday morning.

Don't remember where the order came out of, but it came US Mail, which adds to my amazement. ;-)

Again, you're talking about US postal and shipping service. It's really expensive to get anything close to US service in the Canadian market. In many ways, especially this one, we are not competitive. Add to that border delays and tax concerns and you begin to see the problem.

Not that you were suggesting it, but FYI...Canada Post is not a government owned corporation. As they own 90% of Purolator, which _is_ profitable, a lot of resources are focussed in that direction. A very good friend of mine retired from his job at Canada Post a few years ago. He was the Marketing Director. He made it clear that a lot of work is being done to smooth the interface between USPS and CP. It is of benefit to both countries that we can exchange goods as quickly as possible. Americans forget that Canada is the largest trading partner the USA has... unless you look at the EU as a single entity. Of course, if you throw the TSA in the mix..well all bets are off. They have to fondle EVERY package...:-)

That interface has been pretty seamless, IME, at least in this direction. I've ordered a number of things from eBay-ers on that side of the borDER without problems.

I helped. I have rather hefty investment in JessEm stuff. ;-)

Um, did they fondle your package? Was it as good for you as it was for them?

But he said LV only shipped it the previous Thursday. They had it two weeks, no?
On 3/20/2011 4:12 PM, DGDevin wrote:

Agreed. They're never in any hurry to get the order out the door, and on more than one occasion I've gone to a different vendor for that very reason.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.