OT florescent light hum

I replaced the bulbs in a florescent light fixture in the shop and the lamp now makes an audible hum sound. Any idea what causes this? Are the new bulbs the problem?

Reply to
Jim Giblin

What's the temperature in the shop ?

Depending on the type/quality of the bulb/fixture this may just go away after things warm up. Or it may continue during cold weather.

Regards & Good Luck, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {I just keep those 'fly paper strips' hanging YEAR ROUND . . .can't stand those little 'buzzers'}

Reply to
Ron Magen

Reply to
Grandpa

In my garage, I get hum from 9 high output ballasts, plus additional harmony from the contactors for the ballasts and for my electric space heater, and from the transformer for my cyclone's contactor. When I open a gate and the cyclone comes on, I add in the distinctive cyclone howl, plus the hum from the cyclone's contactor. When the house furnace kicks on in the next room with it's high pitched scavenger fan, followed shortly by the mid-bass rumble of the main furnace motor, the excitement really starts to build. When I add to this the whine of an idling router, tablesaw blade, or planer, followed shortly by a nice long moan as the work hits the blades, it's almost more than any human should be able to stand!

Man, do I love electricity!

Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Reply to
Tim Carver

Tim, I like your style!

Reply to
Jim Giblin

Huh? What? Speak up! I can't hear you!!! :)

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--