OT- Filter for a Netscape user???

Greetings All, I wonder if I'm able to use filters to block these losers (Dzium, etc) while using Netscape 7.1. I know there are much better news readers, but I kind of like using Netscape. It's either that or just keep viewing the full headers. TIA Mark

What headers can NS filter on?
djb
--
Was that last sig line lame or what?

Just hit K for ignore thread.
JJ
Dave Balderstone wrote:

You apparently don't know how to filter *before* you see the thread.
djb
--
Was that last sig line lame or what?

I do, but it is easier to scan through a high volume group like this and just hit K. As I am reading over 30 groups I have to work fast :-)
JJ cheap teak
Dave Balderstone wrote:

It's way easier to set up global filters that catch 80% of the crap in *all* newsgroups.
IMO, YMMV, PIALINR.
djb
--
Was that last sig line lame or what?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:10:03 -0600, Dave Balderstone

umm.... PIALINR?

"Park it and lock it, not responsible"
;-)
--
Was that last sig line lame or what?

Outlook Express has a simple filtering scheme than can be turned on. I am not sure if Netscape has a similuar filtering scheme, since it has been a couple of years since I have used Netscape. I am using Outlook Express to filter my messages with moderate good success. Outlook Express is capable of deleting (filtering) messages that have certain words in the subject line and it is capable of deleting (filtering) messages sent by certain individuals. The filtering controals can be accessed under tools in the newsreader. I have entered a list of about 20 four letter words appearing in the subject line that will automatically delete a message from appearing on the screen and I have a list of individual spamers that I automatically delete. It will take a little work to set it up, but Netscape will do a reasonable job at filtering the most objectionable and presistant span from apearing on your newsreader's screen.

Mark wrote:

Filters (3rd down). This brings up a message filter box. Click on New... and go for it. It's fairly intuitive (try Help pages if necessary). Does similar stuff to what Joe Nation described for OE.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Thanks jo4hn, and mahalo right back at ya. This seems to work well. Mark
jo4hn wrote: Snipped myself

nFilter/NewsProxy will work with _any_ MS-Windows based newsreader. It sits as a 'man in the middle' between the newsreader, and the server at your ISP (or wherever).
I publish some rule-sets for nFilter that are 100% effective at catching the cr*p through the dizum anon-remailer/mail2news gateway.
"Everything you need to know" about 'de-noisifying' rec.woodworking, is up on the web-site at:
<http://www.r-bonomi.com/rec.woodworking
Start with Dave Eisen's 'troll control' article, then the nFilter FAQ, then grab the program itself, and some of the pre-built rulesets, and you're set to go.