OT: Duck

Page 2 of 3
Peter Huebner wrote:

Sounds as if someone's trying to roast /all/ the ducks down there. :-|
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I read this to my pet Woodduck and he whistled. I guess that means he thought it was funny too. Marc (who is typing while his pet Woodduck watches from a perch near the computer)
marc rosen wrote:

I couldn't read it to the Guinea Pig. She's in school.
The cats and fish didn't seem to care.
How did you end up with a pet Woodduck?

HeyBarry Thanks for the interest. My wife and I have had ducks as pets since 1989. Our oldest is Lassie, a Mallard that we purchased from a breeder in 1990. She will celebrate her 19th Hatchday in April. Lassie is still very active for being so old. Anyway, about 4 years ago (in May) our neighbor brought us a day old duckling from his pond. He's had successful woodduck nestings since he dugout his pond 40 years ago. He saw this solitary duckling swimming around and checked the nest box, only to discover 4 dead ducklings and 3 unhatched eggs. He figured since we were so successful raising our Mallards we could give the baby Woodduck a good life. The Woodduck is so comical and animated, he makes the mallards appear boring. He sleeps in the house and has four separate perches where he stays so he can always be with us. One perch is by the computer and the other is by our back door so he can interact with our two pet Canada Geese. The other two perches are next to mirrors that allow Tee Nee to interact with himself. It's funny, he'll have these short battles with the duck in the mirror and then proceed to preen for about 5 minutes chirping or whistling the entire time. Sorry about the long answer to your question, but I like talking (typing) about my ducks. Marc
Sorry about the long answer to your question, but I like talking (typing) about my ducks.
Can all these birds be toilet trained to go in a certain place? How do you handle that with uncaged birds in your house?

Lots of paper towels! The Woodduck is the only one who has "free range" in the house ( the other, older ducks who come inside stay in pens (meduim size pet taxis) on cold nights but go to their outside pens during the day) .His droppings are small and he rarely craps anywhere except on his perches. The perches are large, about 12 x 18 inches, covered with remnants of old bath towels, so most of the mess is contained. Marc

Are those birds friendly? Like... do you pet them? How are they with strangers? Do they let you know when they are hungry?
A client of mine has guard geese. Nasty!
Robatoy wrote:

They SURE ARE! Fast, too!
When I was a kid, our neighbors had them.
on 2/12/2009 10:29 AM (ET) B A R R Y wrote the following:

Swans are worse. They put them in ponds on golf courses to keep the geese away.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
B A R R Y wrote:

Tom Turkeys can be even worse. We had one while I was growing up that terrorize my younger brother. The thing would jump at him and beat him with its wings. It would stand on my grandfather's feet while he was working under machinery and stomp on his legs. Not only was it mean, it was really tough when we finally ate it.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Yep, I remember calling supper by its given name, and you are right he or she was generally tough.
basilisk

Hey Robatoy, The geese are very fgriendly to us, but they are protective too and will threaten visitors until challenged, then they back off. However, one of them knocked over my 93 year old mother-in-law (and no, I'm not glad, she's a real nice mother-in-law) and my wife was ready to kill that goose. It spent the rest of the day in detention (its pen). They will let us tickle them sometimes when they are preening. Scary thing is when they fly down the driveway to meet me. Have you ever been hit by a flying 10 pound goose who can't make sharp turns? It's no wonder they can take down jet planes. Marc
marc rosen wrote:

Ever had a Muscovy?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I take it we're not talking in a culinary sense... I hear they are leaner and tastier than the normal fare.

Hello DadiOH, (Is that a hydroxyl group on the end of your name, basically speaking?) No Muscovies, but we almost adopted one from a wildlife rescue lady. We decided against it after we heard that it was beating up on the rescued Mallards she had. We were worried about our own Mallards. Marc
In article <d233f305-ce81-485d-859c-d5c41a24fbb3

Some Muscovies beat up on people too - they're much more aggressive / territorial than other ducks.
-P.
Peter Huebner wrote:

I can't say I have found that to be the case. We've had Muscovies around for the last 4-5 years and - IMO - they play nice both with each other and other birds. They are very social, greeting each other affectionately by bobbing their heads and wagging their tails; they don't do that with other bird species (moor hens, mottled ducks) but they don't bother them either.
Of the 12-13 Muscovies around, all but one are wild birds. The odd ball - Elby - was the progeny of wild birds but raised by us (along with sister Bo) because they hatched late and mom and siblings had already left the nest. Bo left to make a life for herself when she was seven months old but Elby stayed. (Bo came back to visit a few times 14 months after she left).
Both Bo and Elby were very affectionate as they were growing up. Yes, they bit sometimes but it was more an affectionate or exploratory nibble than an agressive bite...gotta remember, ducks have no hands so the only tactile contact they have with things is via beak. Muscovies' upper beaks have sort of a downward hook so even an affectionate bite can bruise, that from a full grown male could take out a chunk if he was pissed at you; however, it isn't hard to avoid those nibbles.
The only problem time was when Elby was about 4 months old and testosterone - or duck equivalent - kicked in. Muscovies don't really have sex, they have rape...the male grabs the object of his affection behind the neck, forces her down and has his way with her. They often jump in the water afterward to bathe. Well, I was Elby's "object of affection" initially. He couldn't reach my neck so went for my feet. Easy solution - wear boots, long trousers and let him try. He soon decided it was a lost cause. With me. He then decided my wife was fair game. She was a bit intimidated - a full grown Muscovy male is about the size of an eagle - but coped.
About a year ago a lady duck - "Pretty Girl" by name - showed up and Elby decided she was more worthy of his affections than my wife. In fact, *four* lady ducks (including PG) showed up so Elby was a happy camper for several months. PG nested in some ferns in our courtyard and raised her three babies there; the other ladies nested further away but brought their (few) surviving babies back when the babies were half-full grown. During that time, the ladies aren't interested in the males so Elby spent much of the day in my shop with me...he would play with wood offcuts and nap, wander around and investigate stuff by nibbling on it. Loves to be petted, almost coos. If he was a cat he would purr.
During this sexual off season, Elby comes to the back door at sunset, asks to come in and spends the night on the screen porch in a little "duck house" I made; at dawn he wants out and spends the day browsing and in my shop. When the lady ducks are receptive he stays out 24/7. Pretty Girl is making eyes at him now so I suspect there will be more babies this summer. Last summer's are still here but I imagine they will be leaving in a couple of months.
In short, I find Muscovy ducks affectionate and intelligent. So much so that I gave up eating duck. I will admit that our dog, Lila is KOS (kill on sight) with Elby...he is jealous of her.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
marc rosen wrote:

:)
My nym is the computer speak version for hip speak daddy'o.
--

dadiOH
"dadiOH" wrote:

Many times.
Used to raise them.
Much less greasy than a Pekin.
Lew
marc rosen wrote:

Do wood ducks talk? I have an orange wing Amazon parrot that never shuts up, someone taught it to say "I'm a cat" and I am faced with listening to this until my dying day. Maybe I could trade it in on a wood duck.
basilisk