OT: Don't forget to change your clocks.

Page 2 of 2
About as good of explanation as most they've come up with.

What the politicians won't remind us because their hands are in a lot of pockets, is that the earth has been warming since the ice age. Global warming is natural not man made. Swedish scientists observed the very large ozone hole at the South Pole back around 90 years ago, long before we started polluting the air with modern chemicals.

You are leaving out a very important piece. The warming 'rate' has been increasing also.

Maybe not, but I bet we have something to do with the increase in rate.

I strongly suspect in the next 35 to 40 years we will be worried about global cooling again. I was listening to a scientist on the discovery channel the other day as he was discussing the fact that the ozone hole was at a near all time high. He was excited of this news as he explained that the world as a whole while cutting back on the fluorocarbons for the last couple of decades has had no effect on the hole getting any smaller. He seem convinced that this is indeed a natural phenomenon.

Which ice age. There have been many. I guess you mean the last one.
Leon wrote:

Any particular reason why it can''t be both?
--

FF

Leon wrote:

NASA and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) scientists report this year's (2006) ozone hole in the polar region of the Southern Hemisphere has broken records for area and depth.
The ozone layer acts to protect life on Earth by blocking harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun. The "ozone hole" is a severe depletion of the ozone layer high above Antarctica. It is primarily caused by human-produced compounds that release chlorine and bromine gases in the stratosphere.
It was first noticed by a research group from The British Antarctic Survey in the 1970's. Joseph Farman, Brian Gardiner and Jonathan Shanklin, are the BAS scientists who discovered the Antarctic ozone hole. In the 1980's the first measurements of this loss were actually documented. In 1984, when the British first reported their findings, October ozone levels were about 35 percent lower than the average for the 1960s. When the first measurements were taken the drop in ozone levels in the stratosphere was so dramatic that at first the scientists thought their instruments were faulty.
The U.S. satellite Nimbus-7 quickly confirmed the results, and the term Antarctic ozone hole entered popular language. More recently an ozone hole has appeared over the North Pole. The ozone hole appeared first over the colder Antarctic because the ozone-destroying chemical process works best in cold conditions. The Antarctic continent has colder conditions than the Arctic, which has no landmass. As the years have gone by the Ozone Hole has increased rapidly and is as large as the Antarctica continent. The hole lasts for only two months, but its timing could not be worse. Just as sunlight awakens activity in dormant plants and animals, it also delivers a dose of harmful ultraviolet radiation. After eight weeks, the hole leaves Antarctica, only to pass over more populated areas, including The Falkland Islands, South Georgia and the tip of South America. This biologically damaging, high-energy radiation can cause skin cancer, injure eyes, harm the immune system, and upset the fragile balance of an entire ecosystem. News about the ozone hole that forms over Antarctica each October has spread around the world. The ozone hole can be as big as 1.5 times larger than the United States.
Take a look at http://www.theozonehole.com/ozoneholehistory.htm for a good treatment of this phenomenon and for links to yet more information. To be sure, volcanism and other natural phenomena have some affect but we are our own worst enemies here.
    mahalo,     jo4hn

Hmmm. I wonder how hot it would get if they went for two extra hours of daylight?

And record sales of barbecues.
Leon wrote:

Yeah but if we use enough heat pumps we can take all that extra heat out of the air.
--

FF

Somebody wrote:
> For a time. Congress, in their ultimate wisdom, has decided that they can > legislate the solar system and extended daylight saving time. Next, they > will decide that this twilight nonsense will have to go and mandate that > the > lights will have to go out at a certain time.
Been there, done that.
It was tried during the Nixon administration.
Failed then, will fail now.
Lew

Hell, I use up most of my day light savings setting my clocks back and forth. Ironically it changes so that it gets dark earlier for Halloween when the kids are out in the streets. DST makes Summer nights hotter and shorter. I forget, why do we rob Peter to pay Paul?
Leon wrote:

And next year we get two extra hours (per day) of dst. Hooray.     grumble,     jo4hn and what happened to God's time and why did He invent carbon dioxide and mosquitos anyway. Humph.

I saw something on that, but not any details. Are we changing by two hours in the spring, or are you just averaging out the time of starting it earlier and ending it later?
I'm with many of you in thinking that they should just leave the damn time alone. I work nights, and it kind of works out as daylight stealing time for me, being active very early in the morning after work, but inside in the evenings.

Prometheus wrote:

STarts a month earlier and ends a month later...

"jo4hn" t> wrote

i knew an astrologer who said that day light saving time was the leading cause of errors in astrological charts.
You know congress is overstepping it bounds when people can not get an accurate astrological chart.
Lee Michaels wrote:

I daresay the leading cause of errors in astrological charts is astrologers.
--

FF