OT: Digging into the origins of sh--

Here's one folk tale. Anyone know others?

Bob

In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common. It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a\ lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term "Ship High In Transit" on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T " , (Ship High In Transport) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I think somebody fed you a load of S.H.I.T.

Ray

THE PLAN

In the beginning was The Plan. And then came the Assumptions.

And the Assumptions were without form.

And The Plan was without substance.

And darkness was upon the face of the Workers. And they spoke among themselves, saying, "It is a crock of shit and it stinketh."

And the Workers went into their Supervisors and said, "It is a pail of dung and none may abide the odor thereof."

And the Supervisors went unto their Managers, saying, "It is a container of excrement and it is very strong, such that none may abide by it."

And the Managers went unto their Directors, saying, "It is a vessel of fertilizer and none may abide its strength."

And the Directors spoke amongst themselves, saying one to another, "It contains that which aids plant growth and it is very strong."

And the Directors went unto the Vice Presidents, saying, "It promotes growth and it is very powerful."

And the Vice Presidents went unto the President, saying, "This new Plan will actively promote the growth and vigor of the company with powerful effects."

And the President looked upon The Plan and saw that it was good. And The Plan became Policy.

And that is how Shit Happens.

Tom Watson

I figured we'd get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the information, Ray. It makes more sense your way. BTW, what's the origin of f---?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

...is good, and copyrighted as well. I always knew Watson was a wordsmith and not a lawyer.

Bob, admiring T.W.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

MEMORANDUM TO ALL ACC PERSONNEL

FROM: ACC Quality

SUBJECT: Special High Intensity Training

  1. In order to assure that we continue to promote the highest quality Air Force possible, ACC has created a new Quality Air Force training program, replacing the current Awarness, Team Member, and Leader classes with a new program of Special High Intensity Training (S.H.I.T.).
  2. ACC's goal it to give our personnel more S.H.I.T. than any other command in the Air Force.
  3. If you feel that you do not receive your share of S.H.I.T. on the job, please see your Squadron Quality Advisor. You will be placed on the top of the S.H.I.T. list for special attention.
  4. All of our Quality Advisors are particularly qualified to see that you get all the S.H.I.T. you can handle at your own speed.
  5. If you consider yourself to be trained enough already, you may be interested in helping train others. We can add your name to our Basic Understanding Lecture List, Special High Intensity Training (B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T.) program.
  6. If you have further questions, please address them to our Head Of Training, Special High Intensity Training (H.O.T.S.H.I.T.) department.

Boss In General Special High Intensity Training (B.I.G.S.H.I.T.)

P.S. With the personality some of you display around here, you could easily become the Director Intensity Program, Special High Intensity Training

Reply to
Bill B

Same as s*** -- German, via Old/Middle English. "Poop", however comes from Dutch.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It is?

I got it from a website and used the URL as a means of attribution.

Ya mean that the black helicopters is still gonna come get me?

Shazzam!

Reply to
Tom Watson

Was listening to "A way with words" on NPR last Sunday, and they were talking about this very thing- evidently, acryonyms were not common usage until WWII, and there is generally a much more direct root. IIRC, Chaucer used the word shitte in The Canterbury Tales (The Miller's Tale, perhaps?), and that was long before the 16th or 17th century.

Reply to
Prometheus

G'day all, This was a yarn I heard many years ago. I think I got it in the dark old days when faxing jokes and comics was popular. I can't find my copy, so a search of net showed up this. I don't think it's quite the same as the one I had, but the point id there ;)

All the best John Do You Know "Jack Shitt"?

Who is Jack Schitt?

For some time many of us have wondered just who is Jack Schitt? We find ourselves at a loss when someone says, "You don't know Jack Schitt!" Well, thanks to my genealogy efforts, you can now respond in an intellectual way.

Jack Schitt is the only son of Awe Schitt. Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Needeep N. Schitt, Inc. They had one son, Jack.

In turn, Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt. The deeply religious couple produced six children: Holie Schitt, Giva Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Bull Schitt, and the twins Deap Schitt and Dip Schitt.

Against her parent's objections, Deap Schitt married Dumb Schitt, a high school dropout.

After being married 15 years, Jack and Noe Schitt divorced. Noe Schitt later married Ted Sherlock, and, because her kids were living with them, she wanted to keep her previous name. She was then known as Noe Schitt Sherlock.

Meanwhile, Dip Schitt married Loda Schitt, and they produced a son with a rather nervous disposition named Chicken Schitt. Two of the other six children, Fulla Schitt and Giva Schitt, were inseparable throughout childhood and subsequently married the Happens brothers in a dual ceremony. The wedding announcement in the newspaper announced the Schitt-Happens nuptials. The Schitt-Happens children were Dawg, Byrd, and Hoarse. Bull Schitt, the prodigal son, left home to tour the world. He recently returned from Italy with his new Italian bride, Pisa Schitt.

Now when someone says, "You don't know Jack Schitt," you can correct them.

Reply to
John B