Finishing the top of newell posts

I have successfully produced my first set of stairs - they may only be four rises high, but I feel a sense of achievement. They lead up to the verandah of my kids' cubby-house.

To give them a really "finished-off" appearance, I would like to do something nice with the tops of the newell posts. I have seen other posts with the tops "routered" I think, but I can't imagine how I would set up and control my 2HP router to get a neat finish. I have tried chamfering the edges with a planer, but got fairly poor results and a lot of chipping-out.

Can anyone suggest a reliable method for somebody relatively new to this stuff please?

Regards

Scott Forbes

Reply to
Scott Forbes

chipping-out.

Are the posts 4 x4's? ... if so, the BORGS (don't about Oz) sell caps of various sizes already made that save a bunch of time and look nice ... just apply construction glue/liquid nails and you're done.

That said, I've beveled the edges with a circular saw set at 45 degrees to good effect. Easier to do with the posts on a saw horse, but quite doable after installation with a steady hand.

Reply to
Swingman

Yes, they are 4x4 posts. I'll have a look at the borg (Bunnings here). I know they have all the ball-top trims, so I could get lucky.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Scott Forbes

Reply to