OT: Completely OT: Backfeeding from generator to main

You guys ever heard of problems arising from backfeeding a generator into a drier 220V (30 amp) circuit?

I've read that as long as the circuit breaker panel is OFF you should be ok. This will prevent sending current out to the workers repairing service and should prevent the generator from exploding when power is restored.

Is this a bad idea? Is there any problems arising from pushing current backwards through a breasker (probably showing my ignorance here)? I assume because the current is alternating this is not an issue?

Reply to
brian

I do that. First it's illegal.. but I don't care. If you use a lockout ckt it's legal.

You can only power what the dryer line can handle. so if you have 30amp, that's it. I have to shut my water heater, and water pump since both are higher.

It's not to protect the workers.. the solar collectors send voltage out regardless. The real problem is overloading your generator.. The old statement about the workers doesn't work when you think how many solar panels are up on roofs these days. The workers always have to treat the line like it is live.

Reply to
woodchucker

Just to answer your last question, only if the breakers in the current path are rated for back feeding. Non back feed breakers are usually marked with an arrow or other indicator of current flow.

-Bruce

Brewster

Sure, other than being illegal in many areas, it's dangerous. It's dangerous for the linemen working trying to get your service back (the reason it's illegal) and suicide cords are called that for a reason.

...as long as. That's the problem. It's too easy to forget.

Yes, it's still a bad idea but not because you're "pushing current backwards". The "current" has no idea which direction it's going. Back-feeding breakers is perfectly normal, often done when wiring sub-panels.

Other than frying the linemen, the problem is the suicide cord.

Reply to
krw

Wrong, on both accounts. It is *precisely* to protect line workers. Solar collectors *only* produce power when they're connected to the line. They need the line to synchronize the inverter. You won't find a line connected solar system that will even produce power when it's not line connected. They're useless as emergency power.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and "shit happens". DONT DO THAT!

Reply to
krw

Grid connected solar inverters shut down when the grid goes down - when they don't have grid power to synchronize with.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

So let me ask this... if you connect a 6k watt generator and forget to throw the switch god forbid, do you think your generator will still try to feed the grid, mine would simply pop it's own ckt breaker since the draw would be too high.

As far as ckt breakers working in one direction... Really???? I live in farm country, I have been running a generator for years illegally .... I never had a problem ... I do always shut the main off, then all ckts I can't power..

Brian, it's illegal, but it's done all the time.. put a note on your panel door if you are worried you might forget the sequence.

Reply to
woodchucker

Wrong on both counts. It IS to protect the workers (although only a very limites scenario could ever really cause a danger) and the solar systems do NOT put power out the line in case of a grid failure because they are"grid tie - and only put power out when power comes in (simple explanation of a complex system)

Reply to
clare

I've never seen one rated as backfeed - although they likely exist - and I've never seen one you could not backfeed (other than an AF breaker or GFCI) (althogh such an item likely DOES exist)

Reply to
clare

No, there is no guarantee that it'll "simply pop it's (sic) own ckt breaker". If your line is isolated it'll happily energize it. When the power dudes show up they will be greatly, and rightfully, pissed.

Did you even try to read what was written?

"Always" is a long time. History shows that not all do, so it's ILLEGAL.

So is murder, does that make it a good idea (one that you promote)?

Reply to
krw

----------------------------------------------------------- Transfer switches exist for a reason.

They are expensive partly because they do a difficult job and require a considerable amount of hardware.

OTOH, trying to bypass one to save a few $ is shear follly.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yes it is. But it would work.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Similar to wind power, as I understand they need the grid to get the turbines turning. Once the wind gets about 12mpg they start producing power and reach efficiency about 20-25mph.

As your lineman if there is back feed from a generator. Chances are he will tell you his experience with back feed. In some places there must be an automatic cut of so when the grid goes down the grid is isolated from the generator, and visa versa.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

An "interlock" exists for just this application uses normal breakers and a mechanical interlock that makes it impossible to turn on the generator breaker with the main on, and imossible to turn the main on with the generator on.. The only difference is you don't use the dryer "plug", you use a generator plug (male plug_ so you don't need a "suicide cord" or "widdowmaker".

Reply to
clare

Can you insure that in a lost power situation that the lineman will NEVER be put into a situation where he comes in contact with the power from the generator. Remember he only has to be knocked from the pole to get killed.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Not as long as your main breaker is off. It's illegal, but not dangerous IF the main breaker is off. To make it both safe and legal, use a transfer switch or a mechanical interlock, either of which will enable connecting either the grid or your generator to your panel, but never both at once.

Correct.

Yes -- but only because many people do not realize the literally vital importance of shutting off the main breaker.

A few years ago, a falling tree limb took out the line from the pole to our house. As it was pretty cold out at the time, and SWMBO wanted heat, I hooked up the generator (backfed, with the main breaker off). It was still running when the power company guys showed up. I asked the crew chief if he wanted me to turn off the generator while they made repairs. He asked, "Is your main breaker open?" Understanding the question he did *not* ask, too -- whether I knew enough to understand what he meant -- I responded, "Yes, it's off." He told me I could leave it running. I'm sure they checked the lines anyway.

No problem with the current direction. It's done frequently to feed subpanels.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I don't see how a common breaker *could* know which side is which (GFCI, obviously, an exception).

Reply to
krw
< snips >

If your generator was back-feeding to an open circuit at the end of your driveway - thus not feeding any other loads - - the hazard exists. John T.

hubops

It's more than that. If the utility is cut even while it's producing, the generator will stop. It *needs* the line sync to operate at all.

The "cut off" must isolate the line when you're generating power independently. If you're grid-tied, then you can't generate when the grid tie is lost. BTW, I *think* (but obviously can't prove the negative) that it's everywhere. Utilities get very sensitive where the safety of their crews is concerned. It's dangerous enough without "help".

Reply to
krw

Other than frying a line man or gal - but the generator might likely blow up when the line comes on. The other problem - with the main turned on you are feeding a transformer on the pole and who knows the load it has with the neighbors on the high line it connects to.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn