OT: Cherry Firewood

I was quoted cherry firewood vs. "various hardwood" firewood. The cherry cost a little more, so I figured it must be "better".

Any idea why? Does it burn longer or smell better??

Thanks.

Reply to
Rileyesi

Depends on what the other wood was. Cherry is pretty good wood for a fireplace, though mediocre for a wood stove. I have never noticed any smell from it, but you shouldn't from a properly functioning fireplace or stove.

If the other wood was "mixed hardwoods" then the cherry might have been worth a premium. Some hardwoods are pretty bad and give you more ash than fire.

I have 18 acres of oak, sugar maple, cherry and hickory; but when there is storm I scout neighborhoods with black locust looking for cut up trees. Black locust is primo for wood stoves and worth the effort.

Reply to
toller

You're burning cherry?!?!? ...anit talkin to you no more. ; )

Reply to
zax63

Some cherry that's grown in wild areas isn't suitable for much else.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Firewood dealers know how to chisel, just like everyone else. Some can stack a "cord" that compacts 30% when you restack it, some take advantage of the broadleaf definition of hardwood to include bass, aspen, or, as one jobber in the area was notorious for - black ash, which _never_ dries. Even willow is a hardwood, but it'll put a fire out.

A pound of wood is a pound of wood. The best is the one with the highest dry weight, plus or minus a bit of coaling capability.

Reply to
George

Different woods perform differently as firewood. Check this site out for some info:

--jeff

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.gov (Rileyesi) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m07.aol.com:

Reply to
Jeffrey Picciotto

The website is misleading. It considers only the value of wood for heating purposes. Cherry is not that good for heating. But it produces a nice flame, and is good for a decorative fire; which is what most people (especially those who don't know one wood from another) want. As I said, black locust is the best stove wood, but it is not so good for a decorative fire.

Reply to
toller

cherry that we get in CA for firewood is all "trim" wood... small branches that don't even turn well..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

great info, Jeff... thanks!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

we bought a cord of "mixed hardwood" last year from a tree service.. had quite a bit of redwood in it! Never considered redwood a hardwood OR firewood... it's fire resistant and tends to char and stop burning, to protect itself from forest fire..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

It makes a nice flavor on smoked chicken. I've never burned any quantity of it so I don't know how it performs. I'd not pay extra for it for my use in a wood stove. Maybe a fireplace is different if it looks pretty burning. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski