OT Another nuclear plant explosion

Page 1 of 2
This time in France with 4 reported injured. I wonder how big of a disaster this actually ends up being.
@swbelldotnet says...

A furnace at a storage facility? Can you say "blown out of proportion"?
says...

I read 1 dead from a non-nuclear industrial accident in a metal-melting furnace. It said there were something like 67,000 becquerels in there, or less than 2 microcuries. I have worked with millicurie amounts, at least 1000 times as much, and no sweat ...
Hoping the news media info is correct ...
--
Best regards
Han

Leave it to the anti-nuke folks to blow yet another tiny mishap into a global nuke scare. Clarky is in my twit filters and I avoid hearing about all of those...usually.
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw
says...

That's what I've always hated about becquerels, the numbers are too big. I'm used to milli- and micro-curies as being useful (1 uCi=2.22x10^6 dpm). For becquerels, one needs to work with mega and giga ...
Good thing I retired ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 9/12/2011 2:43 PM, Han wrote:

Perhaps Obama can use them to back his currency?
--
Jack
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a Trillion!

"Would you like fries with that? That will be 22 billion Microbamas, please."
-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

This isn't funny. The underlying cause of WWII was the discontent of the Germans with the hyperinflation that crippled the working people.
--
Best regards
Han

"Deadly blast at French nuclear facility" (actual headline)
What images do people have in their minds when they read that?....and how inaccurate those images will be? Hint: Mushroom clouds, thousands of crispy dead bodies, glowing...
In a similar vein: Guy steps in front of a bus, downtown LA. here's the headline: (mine)
" Deadly transportation accident in earthquake prone major city"
On 9/12/2011 2:19 PM, Robatoy wrote:

You could be a journalist! :~)

If I was a journalist, as opposed to a headline writer, I would have added: "None of the shocked bystanders could confirm the victim was an Al Qaida operative."

If I was a journalist, as opposed to a headline writer, I would have added: "None of the shocked bystanders could confirm the victim was an Al Qaida operative."
-------------- A REAL journalist would have written "None of the shocked bystanders could confirm the victim WASN'T an Al Qaida operative." Art

Indeed.
On 9/12/11 5:09 PM, Artemus wrote:

--
Froz...

No, a REAL journalist would have written "None of the shocked bystanders could confirm that the driver or the victim weren't Al Qaida operatives. Film at 11."
-- Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable, when we fail to take risks or seize opportunities. -- Susan Rice

LMAO!!!
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 12:19:21 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Right you are, sir. "Let's push the fear whenever we can!" and they do it with politics, forestry, climate, nuclear energy, and whatever else they seem to be keen on this year.

Ayup. Fear again.
--------------------------- CNC CNC CNC CNC CNC CNC CNC
On another subject, I downloaded the trial version of Aspire and am going through the tutorials and videos. It sure as hell is intuitive. Nicely done, guys!
-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

three people...boogabooga 40,000 rounds missing from Ft Bragg..boogabooga..jets up in the air...
Theory? Well if something went wrong, they warned us. If nothing happened, the terrorists were beaten. Win win. The DOFear, was thinking. They have a bust of Goebbels at the entrance.

Once get the full impact of the 'two-rail sweep', it will blow your socks off.
Also, it's one helluva deal as it rivals packages that cost up to 5 times as much.
J. Clarke wrote the following:

I heard there was an explosion on a nuclear powered US aircraft carrier. Some sailor put a frozen meal in a microwave over without taking off the aluminum foil and it exploded all over the inside of the oven. There were no initial reports of any radiation leakage, but the NRC is investigating and their report is expected in a few weeks.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Trash incinerator. Materials include empty beer cans, used gloves, nothing high level which would have to be entombed in a cask.