Propane Tank Explosion

A man in a rural area apparently hit the valves on the top of a buried propane tank. The explosion and fire eventually killed him.

The tractor looks like an 8N Ford. Those old things are worth quite a bit compared to others. They're nice to climb and sit on. They had a three point hitch that would let the use a blade or some other equipment. Some of it was made by Dearborn Farm Equipment. They made mowers, cultivators, plows, rear scoops, front end loaders etc.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Rest in peace.

His obit calls him Crazy Joe ..

Not sure how to distinguish the 8N 9N 2N ? from this photo.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

8N and 9N sold at a recent auction near me -

- note Canadian dollars - only worth about 70 cents US :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Machinery Pete's has listings from $1200 (not running) to $19,500 (parade ready).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Ha ! ... you could certainly get these ones parade-ready for a-lot-less than the $ 20,000 price difference ! LOL.

.. and someone just paid almost $ 1700. Canadian for a PEZ dispenser :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Possibly. But possibly not. First you have to either be willing to do the work yourself, or you need to find someone that is both capable and willing to do the work. Then there will be a small matter of acquiring OEM parts, particuarly the cosmetic parts (headlamps, rear lamp, badges) that may be more difficult to acquire in good shape. An one hopes the block isn't damaged.

It's likely worth $20k to someone with the bux and no inclination to do the work.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Dully restored they can go for 10 times as much

Reply to
Clare Snyder

$1200 to $15000 Canadian is quite common for a REALLY NICE ine

Reply to
Clare Snyder

So is it dangerous to drive around rural areas? I might hit the valve of a buried propane tank? Or my farmer cousin might?

Reply to
micky

I've been around maybe hundreds of fuel tanks over the years. I don't remember hearing of a buried tank until this story. The tanks I've seen have an inverted steel bowl over them to protect the valves on the propane tanks. The tanks are painted white to lessen the effect of sunlight on tank pressure. It might've been just the cost of burying a tank or the potential harm if one leaked that kept them above ground. I did find some tanks intended to be buried for residential use. I can't help but wonder where the warning post or barrier was to keep the poor soul away from the valves.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

And a 2N sells today to complete the set ! :-)

Also Canuck Bucks.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

It must be a Canadian tractor. The rear tires are on backwards.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

They're backwards for field work - but these guys tend to use their pet tractors to go-to-town for breakfast get-togethers .. The backwards tires are said to wear and ride a little better on the blacktop. John T.

Reply to
hubops

A likely story.

Why are the front wheels apart and not next to each other?

Reply to
micky

Tell it to _ them _ :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

The Wellesley Reitired Farmers gathering at Schmitsville?

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not too too far off :

Once, just to say I did it, I took a short drive to north west South Easthope so I could gaze across the road at south west North Easthope :-) ... the view wasn't anything that special, actually - but at least it wasn't Blandford Blenheim .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Stability is one reason. Tractors with a wide front are safer than ones with the tricycle type. There were a few with a single wheel in the front. Some pictures here:

Another reason is row spacing. Row were 40" apart long long time ago. Then they were narrowed to 36". A lot of them are spaced at 30" now. Another reason is using a combine eliminated the need for a mounted corn picker. The front wheels had to be next to each other to allow for the corn pickers.

Dean Hoffman

(tractor)

For row cropping.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I often wondered why - on certain tractors - < olden days > the front wheels were close together .. Our 1949-ish Avery had the wide wheels but some of the same/similar tractors came with 2-narrow wheels .. ? < even one front wheel >

The aforementioned 3-point-hitch was probably the death-knell for this brand of tractor - and many other brands. Ours had a middle-frame hydraulic mechanism - that was quite versatile in many ways but required a lot of custom ie: home-made fitment for implements. I remember my older brothers fashioning a front-mount snow plough - from a halved water heater tank, and a couple pieces of long heavy angle iron .. pivot on the rear ; raise & lower from the middle hydraulics .. it worked like a charm ! That little Avery pulled a single furrow plough - .. might pull 2 on a good day ? .. maybe. But it taught us a lot ! Trips to the junk yard when we started scrapping old cars fo beer money ; on a home-made trailer .. I wish I had a few of those old cars today !

John T.

Reply to
hubops