OT: Another BLACK eye for McCain

Page 3 of 4

physiologically cane sugar and high fructose corn syrup cause different levels of insulin production. The higher insulin response triggered by hfcs creates a higher rate of body fat storage in the body. OF COURSE lack of excercise is also a contributing factor, however you have to exercise harder to defeat the insulin response and calorie intake from hfcs than you do regular cane sugar.
physiologically cane sugar and high fructose corn syrup cause different levels of insulin production. The higher insulin response triggered by hfcs creates a higher rate of body fat storage in the body. OF COURSE lack of excercise is also a contributing factor, however you have to exercise harder to defeat the insulin response and calorie intake from hfcs than you do regular cane sugar.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks, PicBoy.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

A specious argument. The same land can grow other crops that humans can consume. If the cost of cattle feed rises, the cost of beef rises. Corn doesn't grow at random, somebody decides what to plant based on the profit he thinks he can make from selling it. If there's more profit in field corn for ethanol production than in sweet corn for human consumption then the farmers plant field corn and there's less sweet corn to go around and so the price of that rises, further if the price paid by the fuel producers is higher than that paid by the cattle ranchers, then the price of cattle feed rises, and so the price of beef rises, and either way the price of food rises.

--John

Not nearly enough IMHO. :-)

Not correct. Fructose is in fact a human food source; spend a little time reading labels, and you'll be surprised how many of your foods contain fructose, often in the form of "high fructose corn syrup."
And of course while the corn fed to cattle is not itself a human food source directly, the meat, milk, and cheese obtained from the cattle certainly are.
Doug Miller wrote:

The land used for this corn is land taken out of production of other food stuffs.

Which means a reduction in the supply of those commodities and a corresponding rise in price per unit along with it.
Dave in Houston

Robatoy did NOT write it; I did.

Start checking labels on most any processed foods, Lew. I think you'll be shocked to see just how much corn and corn by-products go into our food supplies, corn fructose sweetener being one of the biggest uses.
Dave in Houston

And deservidely so. While it may only have 2 other markets, it does cost more to produce and bring to market than gasoline and it does reduce fuel mileage significantly. Add to that it attracts water and causes handling problems to prevent fuel contamination. At best it is a wash. I have heard about Algae being a good substitute that doubles its size daily and is 40 times more productive in the fields than corn.
I wrote:

"Leon" wrote:

Wonder how they manaage to sell ethanol for about 1/2 the price of gasoline.

Same problem with both gasoline as well as diesel, especially if you are in cold weather climates.
Basic rule in cold climates: "Fill up when the tank gets to half full"
Keeps the condensate formation at a minimum.

Is that the algae found in the bottom of diesel tanks?<G>
The ethanol producers are already gearing up for non cellulose ethanol.
Corn has always been a short term solution.
Lew

Two words: Federal subsidies.

Ummm.... no. Humidity can *condense* inside a gasoline tank, but water actually *dissolves* in ethanol.

The alcohol in gasohol attracts moisture and is absorbed in to the gasoline. That is tough on injectors and tends to introduce a way for rust to form in the gas lines, pump, etc.

That is not going to matter if you only need to buy gas every 2 weeks.

LOL, it might be, but I think it is in a different form once used purposely with gasoline.

Yeah, I'm not sure a solution at all, but certainly and hopefully short term although alcohol in gasoline has been around for 30 plus years that I know of. I think not so common once computers and fuel injection was introduced to the common vehicle. You being familiar with diesel and its unique problems are probably aware of the havoc the slightest amount of water causes to injection pumps.

message
They piss off Archer-Daniels_Midland.
--
FF

Garage_Woodworks wrote:

Will this do any good? OK, here's the list: Here’s a quick run-down of some of Barack Obama’s questionable and disturbing associations:
* Rabidly anti-Israel Columbia University professor Rashid Khalidi. The Obamas were regular dinner guests at Khalidi’s Hyde Park home for years.
* Terrorist sympathizer Ali Abunimah, who runs the viciously anti-Israel web site Electronic Intifada.
* Unrepentant Weather Underground terrorists William Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn.
* Reverend Jeremiah Wright. What more needs to be said?
* Anti-Israel foreign policy adviser Samantha Power — fired after calling Hillary Clinton a “monster.”
* Anti-Israel foreign policy adviser Robert Malley — fired when it was revealed he has been holding talks with Hamas.
* Hatem El-Hady, former official of the Hamas-linked charity Kindhearts, closed by the Justice Department. El-Hady’s web page—with Michelle Obama listed as an opt-in “friend”—suddenly vanished from the Obama campaign site with no explanation, after being exposed by LGF and others.
* Tony Rezko — a Chicago fixer currently in a whole lot of legal trouble.
Links: http://www.nysun.com/comments/61007 http://www.nysun.com/national/obamas-ties-to-left-come-under-scrutiny/71421 / http://www.thehotjoints.com/2008/04/25/obama-chose-to-associate-with-these-people / (opinion piece regarding the facts of associations with various radicals)
A google search for obama and any of these names nets numerous hits -- some of them opinion sites, left or right either pointing out the problem with these associations or apologizing for them.
A few here and there are understandable for a public figure, but there are just too many of these to make one comfortable with this person even coming close to being Commander in Chief.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

http://www.thehotjoints.com/2008/04/25/obama-chose-to-associate-with-these-people /
Uh oh, you're injecting facts. Stop that. The libs need to *feel* good about their world without regard to the fact.
I live in Illinois. Anyone voting for this guy is supporting far left whacko extremism. The only reason it is not more obvious is that he's not been a senator long enough to make his, er, proclivities obvious. For the record, I can't stand Hillary or McCain, but Obama is clearly the worst of a very bad litter.
'Think I'll vote for Reagan, like I said. Even dead, he's a far better choice than the current field of choices.

The NY Sun. The NY SUN? Since when is that a fair and balanced news source?

Is there some reason I should believe they were guests there? What did he blow up in this country?

Same questions.

Last I heard his Obama was involved in some civic organization which Ayers was also involved with, independently of Ayers, and many years after Ayers' involvment with the SDS. Ayers may have also donated to Obama's campaign, pretty much anybody can. I am not aware of them working together at present or back when Ayers was breaking the law. But fill me in on what details you have.

Haven't heard of her.

Same questions. Plus, being Catholic, I'm strongly disinclined to criticize others based on their clergy.

Same questions, plus, who fired her?

Same questions as immediately above.

Could you please spell out 'LGF'?

What did he blow up?

Links:http://www.nysun.com/comments/61007http://www.nysun.com/national / obamas-ties-to-left-come-under-scrutiny...http://www.thehotjoints.com / 2008/04/25/obama-chose-to-associate-with-...
That link is garbled.

--
FF

message

I'll try to remember to do that a little later in the week.

I'm also interested.
FF

Gee, didn't see that coming (from dumb and tough)
Dave in Houston
On Mon, 26 May 2008 18:03:33 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Friendship? People? According to the Sun article YOU referenced, Obama served on a couple of education based panels and a non-profit board with a UI professor who once was a member of the Weather Underground and wrote a book defending his violent actions.
That's a business relationship with one person, not "friendship" with "people" as you claimed.
Of course, there's going to be a lot of hyperbole from all sides as the election draws nearer. Your post is just one example, as is the OPs remarks about McCain.

The OP made remarks about McCain?? :^)