OT: A couple of articles by Rex Murphy.

Page 1 of 3
Rex Murphy is a talent. Phrases roll off his tongue and I can think of only a few with such command of the English language. Both small articles from The National Post, a conservative Canadian news paper.
One is funnier than anything I have read lately
http://tinyurl.com/436a9mj
The other a book review (Reckless Endangerment) and commentary on the US economic crisis. If you're not in the mood, don't read it.
http://tinyurl.com/3tqk2px
Just thought I'd share.
On 7/17/2011 12:39 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Glad you did ... even more illuminating are the "comments" on the review. Basically, a nation should look at itself in a mirror on occasion, held up by someone from outside.
It is not a pretty reflection.
Then again, I've been of the opinion for some time that this country is rotting from the inside and that nothing can stop it at this point ... simply look at the Chicago school cheating scandal, if that doesn't convince you, nothing will.
Think deeply about the forces that came together to provide us with that disgrace and you can't help but understand my pessimism.
Sad ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/17/2011 1:14 PM, Swingman wrote:

Sheeeit! ... that should be "Atlanta" ... there is a difference, barely.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

The Chicago school cheating scandal included only 10% of the teachers while Atlanta's scandal included nearly half of them. Percentages werren't given in D.C., Philly, or Baltimore scandals. Hmm, if all these teachers (I'm guessing that only about 1% are actually caught) are helping our students pass school, what happens to the dummies once they've graduated? I guess unions take over. <sigh>
Does not bode well.
-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 13:42:19 -0700, Larry Jaques

Atlanta is firing (or has "requested the resignation from") 170something teachers and administrators. *ALL* teachers and administrators should be forced to give back all raises they've "earned" over the last decade.

Well, that's what they're *supposed* to do. ;-)

They become teachers.

Nope, but such things are not unexpected when the foxes are allowed to guard the chicken coop.
On Jul 17, 5:24pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Sortakinda like the cops investigating police brutality. Will not work.

Yup, but I don't know how to get around that one. IA divisions are *supposed* to be autonomous but it obviously doesn't always work that way. Feds?
On 7/17/11 4:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I used to work at a university where I was in charge of all the audio/video gear the students used to produce their class projects. One weekend, I came back to work and noticed something some gear was missing and some funny stuff going on with the paperwork students use to check out their gear.
A student had forged his professor's signature on the form needed to check out equipment and he had essentially broken into the equipment room after hours to take the gear. I confronted the student and he confessed. When I consulted the professor who's signature he forged about disciplinary actions, the professor said he was just showing good instinct as a producer to do whatever it takes to get the project done.
--

-MIKE-

Good for the prof! Were I the prof, I'd likely have "discussed" the situation with the students and reminded them that it was a crime and that it wasn't appreciated (forgery, unchecked...). ...then let it drop.
That said, one can get away with a lot more in college than the secondary grades (and on down), as it should be. ...which is part of the reason I can support tenure for college professors and not for primary and secondary school teachers.
On 7/17/11 4:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Really? Good for the Prof? It was essentially stolen property by means of breaking and entering. You don't any reason for disciplinary action?
--

-MIKE-

Really.
Technically true. Well, at least illegal entry. Stolen, sure, if it's not returned or there was never any intention of returning it.

Sure, let the prof handle it. College is a different world, as it should be.
On 7/17/11 5:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I guess we disagree. College students get coddled way too much, which is why way too many are worthless for the first 5 or so years of their employment. They get no sense of what it's like to be employed in the real world and enter it as entitled adolescents who complain when they aren't rewarded for mediocrity, cry when they aren't showered with assurance, and can in no way possibly conceive the fact that taking home office supplies for personal use is in fact, stealing, precisely because of the mindset you employ, that "college is a different world."
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote in message wrote:

I guess we disagree. College students get coddled way too much, which is why way too many are worthless for the first 5 or so years of their employment. They get no sense of what it's like to be employed in the real world and enter it as entitled adolescents who complain when they aren't rewarded for mediocrity, cry when they aren't showered with assurance, and can in no way possibly conceive the fact that taking home office supplies for personal use is in fact, stealing, precisely because of the mindset you employ, that "college is a different world."
--

Bullshit!

I've always had a problem with "taking office supplies for personal use is stealing". Sometimes it's absent mindedness. First company I worked for they issued us a pocket protector that I filled up with the various objects needed to do my job, including a place for the badge that got me in to work--clearly the pocket protector was intended to go home with me. And its contents went as well. Sometimes at home I'd need to write something and grab a pen or pencil out of the pocket protector, lay it down, and forget to put it back. After a while I'd have a dozen pens or so, which I would take back and stick in my desk at work.
No intent to steal, just the way things go.
On 7/18/11 12:38 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

This is why I sometimes can't stand this newsgroup. From the context of this thread and what I've written, I'm *obviously* not referring to absentmindedly taking home a pencil.
We all know people who have reams of paper from work in their home office, boxes of pens, etc, or those with work vehicles who drive them all over for personal use.
The fact that many see nothing wrong with the above or that it's somehow "owed" to them by their employer, is part of what's wrong with the world.
--

-MIKE-

A WHOLE pencil? Sharpened on company time?
"-MIKE-" wrote in message This is why I sometimes can't stand this newsgroup. From the context of this thread and what I've written, I'm *obviously* not referring to absentmindedly taking home a pencil.
We all know people who have reams of paper from work in their home office, boxes of pens, etc, or those with work vehicles who drive them all over for personal use.
The fact that many see nothing wrong with the above or that it's somehow "owed" to them by their employer, is part of what's wrong with the world.
============= How many Hail Mary's do you need to say?
Are any beads involved?
--
Eric

I really don't understand the reports of Atlanta scandal. It isn't a new story. It was all over the Atlanta news in January when we were up there. Maybe because they've finally decided to do something (fire all of the accused)?
On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:39:53 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I like him and believe I'll be dropping by his column from time to time.