Oscillating spindle sander

As a weekender, I have neither the budget nor the space for a whole shop full of dedicated tools. I have to maximize my usage, floor space and dollars.
I was thinking of buying a PC portable oscillating spindle sander, drilling mounting holes in the plate and mounting it inverted on some sort of stand. My thought was to make the table surface out of 1/4" plexi with hardwood gussets underneath to keep it flat.
Has anyone tried anything similar? Any problems?
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in message

drilling
stand.
IIRC, Tom Watson uses one on his router table. AAMOF, there is a router table insert specifically made by someone that will hold the portable PC OSS. Might want to do a Google.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks, guys. I found the router table insert for the PC oscillating spindle sander on the Rockler site.

drilling
stand.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Chuck, Consider this: PC Oscillating Spindle Sander 250. Table insert 41.00 291.00 Jet Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander 350.00 (Amazon)
For $60. more you have a substantially better tool. IMHO I know space is a premium but, for my money, the Jet is better. I have both, and almost never use the PC. It is a good tool but the Jet does the majority of the sanding.
Dave

Add pictures here
βœ–
And well. I modified a router baseplate to take the guides, and now do pattern sanding!

Add pictures here
βœ–
I purchased the Powermatic spindle sander about 10 years ago. Jet purchased the Powermatic line and now markets it themselves. I bought it because it has spindles down to 1/4 inch. There is a problem with the worm gear. We replaced it once and it is now making noise again. We also lost the switch twice, and now use a different brand of switch which holds up better. Jet told us we will have the same problem with their unit. I think the Delta Boss and the Ryobi, both cheaper will work better. max

Add pictures here
βœ–