ornamental mill

Been looking at an ornamental mill from Legacy woodworking. Read an article in a magazine about them and got me interested. Anyone know anything about them? They sure aren't cheap?

Reply to
bumhead

Seems expensive. I'm interested in such a gadget (Seems like most of my friends have already built their own, in various sizes) but I'd be looking to pay their non-CNC price for a CNC machine.

There seems little point in one that isn't CNC.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I have seen them in the past at WW shows. Apparently they were not selling enough to justify going to the shows. I have not seen them being for a long time.

Anyway, do you NEED the machine? IMHO they are way complicated and you may need a refresher course each time you pull it out to use it epecially if you will only be using it occasionally.

They are cool but again if you don't need one how long would cool trump the time for set up?

I am advising more on "do you really want to invest money in this thing or not" more so than if you are getting a good machine or not.

Reply to
Leon

Well, they were at the last one I was at (Utah wood-turning this past summer)

Or why I've never bought one

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Reply to
bumhead

Steve

Back before I built this CNC joinery machine I posted the final drawings to a.b.p.w

body (chassis?) of the machine is baltic birch, and the step size is

1/4800" (~0.0002"/0.005mm) - good enough to allow deciding /how/ tight you want parts to fit together...

It can be fun (and hugely satisfying) to design and build a machine for exactly the kind of work you like to do. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Cambam is software that makes standard Gcode (machining paths) for you, in various ways: from CAD drawings of finished objects, simple drawings, or JPG import. You then run something like Mach3 to interpret the G and turn it into stepper movements. The guy behind it is a friend of a friend. He has a forum with pictures of people's machines:

Andy Dingley