Wind mill

Why would the town care how close a wind mill is to a stream? Do they leak grease or something?

Reply to
LSMFT

The whirling blades scare the fish, frogs and salamanders.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Maybe they're afraid you're stealing water.

nb

Reply to
notbob

stream floods... undermines foundation of windmill windmill falls over...

???

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Maybe they fear birds the windmill kills will pollute the stream

Reply to
ransley

They might care how close any building is to the stream. Wetlands conservation and all that.

RicodJour

They leak sound , lots of it, like screach/wap,screatch/wap repeated all day and night long.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

LMAO! good one.

Reply to
Steve Barker

LSMFT wrote in news:UAV2p.111744$Vd1.7623 @newsfe19.iad:

(One of the) First uses of windmills was to pump water from a lake into a canal. This was before steam power.

So the first question to ask is what is the purpose of the windmill? If the gadget is for generating power from wind, maybe they want to just keep it away from unrelated places, keep the stream area more pristine.

Reply to
Han

They may kill birds, like the giant wind turbines, which have a bad rap in that regard. I stayed at a salmon camp in Alaska some years ago, where the group leader took us on a tour of the local wind farm, and told us they pick up dead birds all the time.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Aside from placing any structure too near, streams are in the lowest land around (that old water running downhill bit), not a good location for a windmill.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Don't agree with that at all. Our county has hundreds of wind tower generators and none are within a thousand feet (or some large number) of a house. Even close up the sound level is very low. By my estimate the sound level is about 2% of the racket from a high school kid's car radio. It's a good idea to know what the facts are before making a statement.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

But unlike wind farms, they generate no energy. In fact, they expend only the minimum required to drag themselves to the food dish and back to bed.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Jeff Thies wrote in news:iihniv$mjg$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

sometimes,valleys channel winds.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yeah, it's not like there's not another one where that one came from. Now if we could get the windmills to whack a few hundred thousand deer also.

Reply to
Steve Barker

? "LSMFT" wrote

Probably restrictions on building anything close to a stream or wetlands.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The most lethal man-made bird killer, on the order of 20,000 birds/year: pane of glass.

Ban Windows!!!

Fake ID

There are a number of obstructions you may encounter: leaking grease, killing bats, descecrating a riparian zone, disturbing nesting birds. But your biggest problem is going to be dealing with the North American Nimby. If you want really have fun, claim it's a wifi antenna with decorative fan. Or a SmartMeter, again, with decorative fan.

Fake ID

Agreed, but unless you live in a reflective glass skyscraper (which apparently are close to invisible to birds under some conditions), residential window strikes usually only kill common back yard birds. (Even with the big raptor stickers on the sliding doors, I have to sweep up 3-4 a year.) The giant windmills kill the high-flying big impressive birds that have good PACs.

Windmills not an issue here- not enough consistent wind to make them cost-effective at current energy prices. Over by the big lake, they have been pondering a small wind farm for several years, with usual NIMBY issues. I'd be more worried about noise issues than ruined views, but I do understand why people get upset when they paid a bazillion dollars for the view. Maybe if somebody invented a system that could produce significant power without being hundreds of feet up, and a cheap reliable storage system to go with it, people could have their own small ones.

Aren't we supposed to be able to buy a B&D Mr. Fusion down at the big-box by now? :^/

Reply to
aemeijers

There are certainly some potentially legitimate issues locating a windmill or any other structure for that matter, close to a stream. In many cases areas immediately adjacent to streams are protected and you can't build on them.

However, when it comes to windmills, they are a good example of the empty promises of the tree huggers. One of their cherished answers to meeting our energy needs is wind power. Yet, in EVERY case I've heard of, as soon as someone actually proposes to build some of them, the same environmental extremists show up with a long, long list of how harmful it will be to the environment..... The birds, the noise, the fish, where the power lines will go......

In many cases, they further hide their true intentions by demanding endless study and review, only to have that process repeat itself so that nothing ever gets built. Which is exactly what they want.

One of the most recent examples of this kind of stupidity is here in NJ. Gas companies want to build an offshore liquified natural gas dock so that tankers can unload 13 miles out at sea off central NJ A pipeline would run back to land. The usual suspects are all on board opposing that too. One of the principle complaints, even bought into by some ignorant politicians, is that it could foul the beaches. WTF? It's LNG, not oil. And which would you rather have? That tanker off loading 13 miles at sea, or coming into NY harbor?

Here's a project that brings energy and jobs, and as usual, it will go nowhere. Even Christy is against it.

Reply to
trader4