Options for short grain quarter-sawn white oak paneling

I need to get a 4x5 short-grain (i.e. grain runs the 4ft length) of quarter sawn white oak.
I have the following options: 1. Custom order short grain 1/4" veneer plywood (approx $250+) 2. Apply paper-backed 1/40" thick veneer to 1/4" birch plywood substrate ($150 total cost) 3. Apply wood-backed 1/40" thick veneer to 1/4" birch plywood (approx $200 total cost) 4. Create a seam and cover with wood stile using standard grain 4x8 plywood (total cost $130)
My concern with applying the veneer myself (either paper or wood backed) is the potential difficulty of doing a quality job of applying the contact cement without mess or bubbles to such a large sheet and whether it will look as good as factory-applied veneer. But maybe it is easier than it sounds...
Also, does anybody know of a direct source for custom short-grain veneer jobs since my local place would end up ordering it elsewhere too and I would likely have to pay double shipping.
Thanks