danish oil on qtr sawn white oak project

Hello

I made a cribbage for a fundraiser this Sat night 7/31. I was going to just poly it but thought it may look better with a coat of Danish oil so the flecks pop a bit.

Can I apply the oil Wed night or Thursday morning and have it be dry for Sat morn delivery for the auction Sat night?

If not any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Larry C

Reply to
Larry C

I've done three coats of polyurethane on a blazing hot day, out in the sun, in the old days, before you could recoat in less than 24 hours. It was hard as a rock at the end of the evening. I was impressed. Worried the hell out of me about heat blisters though and I got none at all. Brushed on it was very smooth.

I made a cribbage for a fundraiser this Sat night 7/31. I was going to just poly it but thought it may look better with a coat of Danish oil so the flecks pop a bit.

Can I apply the oil Wed night or Thursday morning and have it be dry for Sat morn delivery for the auction Sat night?

If not any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Larry C

Reply to
Josepi

One of the wipe-on oils w/ driers, sure. You'll give it a final buff/rubdown w/ dry cloth that morning but it should be fine.

I've used the Minwax Tung Oil or Original Oil finishes w/ that or shorter time w/o problems. Being white oak is better than red as porosity is much less (w/ red I'd recommend a paste filler first).

The only potential way it could possibly be a problem imo would be if your humidity is also 90%.

--

Reply to
dpb

------------------------------------- SFWIW, I use BLO on white oak, have a piece I'm finishing right now.

My experience is that 48 hours is enough drying time; however, probably takes 2-3 weeks to fully cure before waxing.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A coat might be OK but be careful and wipe excess. I got into a time crunch, with a gift quilt stand several years ago. I stained it and started doing a full danish finish. I wiped several continuous coats watching for the soaking process to slow. But then I walked away without wiping all of the excess. It was done during cool weather and humidity was not an issue but it took 1-2 days to dry.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:33:16 -0400, "Larry C" wrote the following:

Heathen!

There ya go!

One coat, which is not enough, would be fairly dry by then.

4 coats of wiped-on Waterlox Original, then buff with Johnson's Paste Wax usind a 0000 steel wool pad on Saturday afternoon.

-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes

  1. IME, oil is reasonably dry after 24 hours.
  2. You really need more than one application.
Reply to
dadiOH

Try (on a scrap) a mix of shellac and danish oil (or even tung oil). In the limited experience I have doing this, it ...

gives you the pop and depth of finish several coats of oil do gives you more build in less time dries quickly

-- Andy Barss

Larry C wrote: : Hello

: I made a cribbage for a fundraiser this Sat night 7/31. I was going to just : poly it but thought it may look better with a coat of Danish oil so the : flecks pop a bit.

: Can I apply the oil Wed night or Thursday morning and have it be dry for Sat : morn delivery for the auction Sat night?

: If not any other ideas are appreciated.

: Thanks

: Larry C

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

I already used the danish oil on the cribbage board and it looks great. I am also making a checkerboard and may use the same on that.

Thanks again

Larry C

Reply to
Larry C