Opinions on Delta lathe?

Anyone here have this Delta lathe? http://urlsnip.com/577876
Pros and Cons? Looks pretty solid.
Dean
Have U checked out the Grizzly lathes yet? You can get a lot more lathe for the money.

I searched this newsgroup for the Grizzly G0584 lathe, but didn't find any hits. Does anyone here have any experience with this model? I have the G0555 bandsaw and I love it. It looks like a great deal, but you never know.
Thanks
OTR wrote: Anyone here have this Delta lathe? http://urlsnip.com/577876
Pros and Cons? Looks pretty solid
After reading the reviews on Amazon's page, I'd say the pros and cons are spelled out for you. Read "viberation"! Well, not spelled very well. I like the pivoting headstock, though. Tom

It was the unavailability of gift wrap that did it for me.
That, and I got a Nova 3000 with Supernova chuck, extra toolrest, extra insert, handwheel, etc for less, three months ago....

it came down to that lathe, at $650, or the jet 1442 VS at $850....
My wife researched them and read reviews for a few hours...
They were horrible on the Delta... bent pullies, hand wheels falling off, head stock not aligning, poor customer service, etc., etc...
After reading over 30 reviews on the Jet, the only negative she found were 3 mentions of minor sticking of the speed control..
I talked to the local place that sells and services both lathes and they said "oh, most of the problems with the Delta 14" have been taken care of". When I asked them which lathe they would buy for their own use, all 3 guys said "the Jet" without pausing...
We got the Jet 1442 VSK (with legs) for $917 out the door and I'm very pleased with it..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:17:28 -0700, mac davis

Wierd. My little Delta Midi is a real workhorse. You'd think the larger one would be better. It's kind of hard to complain about Delta's service, IMO. I've had one or two thing break in shipping, and they get replacements out right away. The only downside I've seen with the Midi is that the plastic handles busted, and I had to replace them with suitable ones.

Have fun!

14" model.. like any manufacturer, they're going to have some models that work great, some with design or tooling problems..
If the Delta midi is as solid as the Jet mini, it will out live the cockroach! Mines in the shop now for a new motor (on warranty) but even if they hadn't covered it, I'd say that I got my money's worth... I paid a little over $200 for it and turned more than 200 things on it... not exactly normal use, since I got it in late November as a Christmas present.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:44:36 -0700, mac davis

It's awfully solid. They didn't have a Jet in stock for me to look at when I got the Delta, but I've heard they're pretty similar. Got mine at about the same time as you got yours, and I've done quite a bit of playing with it as well. No problems so far!
OTR wrote:

Dean: I have six of them here at the school. Great starter lathe....good price and I have always had great customer service from Delta. IMHO this lathe would serve you very well.
Mike
On 9 Jun 2005 15:35:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com wrote:

Mike, what's the difference between it and the older 46-700?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Delta has been having the problems one could reasonably expect from a company in transition to a new corporate owner. Service. Delivery. Employees unsure of their future. The old rules may not apply any longer.
And Jet has been doing a really good job in the small to medium lathe market lately.
I recently bought the Jet 1442VSK, after examining the Deltas, as well as other alternatives. Could not convince myself that I was ready for a REALLY BIG LATHE quite yet. I'm very pleased with the Jet.
Patriarch
I've had one for about a year. No problems. The stand is lightweight, which is probably why a lot of people complain of vibration. I built a box on the crossmembers and added 200 lbs of sand. I did need to take the tailstock apart and clean/lube it after turning several large wet pieces.
Bill
OTR wrote:

: Anyone here have this Delta lathe? : http://urlsnip.com/577876
: Pros and Cons? Looks pretty solid.
kIn that range, I would gor for the jet 14/42 lathe
(Amazon.com product link shortened)18556111/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl60/002-0836398-5014421?v=glance&s=home-garden&nP7846
or a Nova 3000 (the lathe I have). Better motor, beefier castings.
    -- Andy Barss