ON TOPIC: goatees

April's Fine Woodworking features articles by Gregory Paolini, Michael Fortune, Harold Greene, Philip Lowe, Peter Gerdy and Doug Stowe. Aside from woodworking, all six have something in common. They all wear goatees. Did I miss the memo? Why is a mid-90s facial hair configuration suddenly raging through the woodworking community?

Editor's Note: The author is clean-shaven (usually)

Reply to
Jeff

Probably just hipsters from the artistic end of woodworking trying to stay relevant.

I have a 'stache, but I have had that for 30 years.

I shaved of his lower counterpart when it became so white it looked like whipped cream on my chin.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

wrote

LOL ... now I know what the subconscious impulse was!

The last time I was without one was when I got out of the service in '72. SWMBO, after 24 years of marriage, has never seen me without a 'stache; and Mom has never seen my father without his, and they've been married for 66 years.

Mine still has a black streak, sort of a reverse skunk look to it ... well, until recently and if the light's right. Besides, a goatee cuts back on the shaving time, if nothing else.

Three years back, when I went to England for oldest daughter's wedding, I was a touch nervous about my goatee due to my ex FIL, who was anti beard/mustache when I was courting his daughter in the 60's. Lo and behold, at the age of 87, there he was, sporting a goatee that put mine to shame ... so it's not just us young guys who are doing it. :)

Reply to
Swingman

My wife tells me to keep the goatee with short hair.

I was clean shaven when I still had long hair, as I don't do the Jesus look.

If I ever let the hair grow again, off with the facial hair.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

Yep, when my hair starting disappearing in the front, I moved the pony tail to my chin to balance things out.

Reply to
Swingman

My father grew his beard after his hernia operation.

He said he wanted to see where it grew the fastest.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I have a family history of old guys with no bald spot.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

RE: Subject

Brings to mind the old question:

"Why cultivate under your nose what grows wild on your rear end?"

Tried to grow a stache once, the wild hair looked better.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've been thru various stages: hair down my back w/ full beard to shaven head and no facial hair. I found no hair at all makes woodworking cleanup easier and can make a better good seal with my dust respirator mask. I hate shaving or fussing with a goatee, though.

Reply to
Phisherman

True, but...I'm trying to recall when I grew mine. Either '64 or '65. I've been without maybe three times since, usually long enough to take a good look in the mirror and realize I need to cover as much of my face as I can. It's mostly white now, which is funny, because my hair is still salt and pepper.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I grew a beard when I got out of the Army in '68... haven't found a reason to shave yet.. Am I in fashion now??

Can I get a modeling job, maybe for Dust-bee-gone?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I have a beard and ponytail, but the wife calls the top of my head a "nohawk'..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

By age thirty I realized that "full head of hair" wasn't in the cards for me, If I wanted to be able to know when I was "going gray" I'd need an alternative to tell of my impending "metal phase of life " (silver hair, gold teeth and lead butt), a mustache would do it, but just a mustache didn't look right to me - on me. A full beard raised the equivalent lady's question "do these pants make my butt look big" - but in a male facial context - does this beard make my face look fat?

The obvious compromise was to add a goatee to the mustache. So as the top and sides of my head began losing the Follicle Battle, the mustache and goatee provided a "gray hair" alternative.

Then one day I fell asleep in the "barber chair". My "barber" was a little Russian lady at Super Cuts. I awoke to here gleefully saying "You look JUST LIKE - Lenin!" Even half awake, I knew I looked nothing like John Lennon. And when I realized it was THE Lenin, after whom Leningrad was named - I began shaving my head - but kept the stache and goatee.

After four or five years I shaved them both off - only to discover I seemed to have no upper lip - or chin. Kept being startled when I'd see a stranger out of the corner of my eye and wondering how he got in my house - only then realizing it was my reflection in a mirror. window of picture frame.

Now I'm thinking - if my eyebrowse keep getting longer - maybe the mustache and goatee can go - and I can go with the Fu Manchu eyebrowse look - or maybe the Pirates of the Caribbean braded thing! Hmmm - a change to look foreward to . . .

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

No help here. My beard is so slow, by the time it came in, it was gray.

jc

Reply to
Joe

A friend of mine maintains that guys with facial hair all have something to hide.

Reply to
Robatoy

My oldest brother was pretty much bald by 30.. he used to say that God only made a few good looking heads, and put hair on the others..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Someone else suggested to transplant the hair off his ass onto his head. He also mentioned he wouldn't have to part it either.

Reply to
Robatoy

Certainly a product of the women's movement. I remember when that harassment angle was the rage with the ones without franks and beans.

I always thought that odd coming from a group that shaves their legs so no one will know how hairy they are, ones that wear lipstick to make their lips more appealing, powder on their faces to hide their facial flaws, dye their hair to the color they want, wear padded bras for better shape, plastic fingernails to make their hands more attractive, punch holes in their ears to hang decorations from, etc.

Odd indeed.

Robert

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

A friend of mine in Oz refers to that as her 'war paint'.

They do that for 'US', dontcha know?

( There's a joke making the rounds on the Net which states that we drink to make them more appealing.)

But Robert, the alternative... hairy girls..armpits 'n'stuff...isn't really all that appealing. A bikini without a wax? *shudder*

Reply to
Robatoy

I have a several ladies that I am good friends with that are in really conservative and work in a very buttoned down environment.

When I have seen them all decked out for a big meeting, I always know. They are in what I call "full battle gear".

Oh, yeah.

One of the variants of looking at them through beer goggles, no doubt!

I remember the 70s and mid 80s while strategic trimming was done, the lawn (carpet grass?) went wildly unchecked.

Then somewhere along the early-mid 80s I ran into a girl that told me that "a well tended garden was fun to work in".

She supplied the proof! Boy was she right!

She was ahead (ahem...) of her time.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41