Odd tool ID

Can anyone help me ID this tool?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/leeana14861/1.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/leeana14861/3.jpg
leeana wrote:

Is there a hole down through the threaded part? If so, it looks like a plumb bob.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
leeana wrote:

Is there a hole down through the threaded part? If so, it looks like a plumb bob.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Kate wrote:

Almost all plumb bobs have a threaded part at the top that the cap the string goes through threads onto. The thing that makes me feel like this is something else is that the threads at the top of this one are left handed threads.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

It's 3 1/2" + in diameter. I don't think I've ever seen a plumb bob that big. It must weight several pounds.
Any markings on it?
Paul Franklin wrote:

We had a 10 pound plumb bob that we used in wind areas of a chemical plant that I worked on about 30 years ago. It looked similar to, but different than the one in the photos. We used it to plumb for long drops, often 100' or more. Lasers have pretty much reduced the need for those.
We also had a plumb bob that was totally enclosed in pipe. It had a telescoping sleeve so that the string was always protected from wind by the sleeve. (No relation, just remembering some old tools.)
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Paul Franklin wrote:

Might have to call it a plumb Robert...
--
Russ

"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by

LOL!

The thread could be to attach an item that is rotated by this spindle, the cylinder section could be the bearing, and the cone could be a drive element (rotating CCW as seen from the cone point, it tightens the attached item screw under load).
Or maybe the threaded end is driven, and an abrasive collar (sandpaper or buffing wheel) is friction-fit to the cone? If there's a rubber collar that fits around the cone, the sandpaper idea is quite likely.
leeana wrote:

Something to drill a well?