O/T: Web Design

Page 2 of 2
:> :>I found it hard to find a website with few errors.
: That's because it's hard to find web developers who know (or adhere to) : standards. :-) Some succeed, though: : ibm.com -- zero : sony.com -- zero : w3.org -- zero : mit.edu -- zero : xkcd.com -- zero : navy.mil -- zero errors, two warnings, both trivial : craigslist.org -- one error, one warning :
Add to that www.opera.com, which also makes a browser that strictly adheres to international standards.
-- Andy Barss

Wrong. They validate _exactly_ to the standards. They are the people who *make* the standards.

That's _no_ surprise. Microsoft can't do _anything_ "according to accepted standards." "Enhance and extend" is a corporate *requirement*.
There's more than a little truth in the old joke: "Microsoft buys Electo-Lux; makes extensive product design changes. Now they have a product that _doesn't_ suck!"

I use MS Frontpage.
Although the tool referenced reports 45 errors, the site (www.rexn.com) appears to work well enough for my purposes.
But, thanks for the "checker" as I will use it to clean up some of the errors I introduced when adding non MSFP bits to the site.
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 08:04:25 -0800 (PST), the infamous Hoosierpopi

Page Affront? Joys!
--== Friends don't let friends use Front Page ==--
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

In the browsers you've checked it with, that is. <grin>
If it passes the validator, 'error free', it is guaranteed to appear consistently, and 'as intended', in any standards compliant browser.
To d*mn many "web-designers" think that if it renders in MSIE (*maybe* they check with Firefox, 'for completeness') that it is correct and good for everybody. Ever hear of 'lynx' -- a text-only browser that works from character-mode terminals? Used _extensively_ by the blind, because screen-readers work with it -- and it cam provide visible/audible labelling of all the links on a page.

Then go through and clean out all the sh*t that MSFP puts in. You'll have a much better site for the experience. <grin>

Do you like Their web site?

Nope. I do all my web work using nothing more than a text editor.
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 16:51:19 -0600, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) scrawled the following:

NoteTabPro. ASCII editing on steroids. Reformats whole pages of caps in a single bound!
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

On the Mac, BBEdit.