Especially if it's your birthday.
75 candles on my cake today.
Lew

Happy Birthday, Lew!!
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
On 7/23/2012 2:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Happy Birthday, you old reprobate! ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Mine was the 12th (only 72 candles). I remembered today that my driver's license expires on my birthday. More bad news--new law requires birth certificate or current passport, proof of SS number, two items of proof of current address. This is for new or renewal of DL. The lines used to be long, now they are said to be unending.
--
G.W. Ross

It's amazing how much mature wisdom
On 7/23/2012 4:14 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Hell, if you don't need all that to vote ... providing you're demographically suspected of being a Democrat, that is.
Mine expired next month, except I took advantage of the ability to renew it early online about three months back ... and immediately got questioned when I presented it because it expires in August 2018, three months greater than the usual six year term.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I remember I needed something like those documents Ross mentioned to renew my NJ driver's license a few years ago (because NJ intend(ed) to have a NJ DL comply with standards for a national ID).
To vote, I walk or bicycle over and identify my listing in the book of registered voters (no, that is my wife, and that is my daughter), then sign 2 or 3 times. At least one of the people manning the polling place usually recognizes me.
Note that now the US is the only country where you can walk on the street and not have to be able to prove your identity to an agent of the authorities, unless there is reasonable suspicion you have done something unlawful. Until a few years ago that could be said of the Netherlands as well, but they complied with EU regulations, and now you have to have identity papers on you. Not sure what exactly is required over there as a minimum.
--
Best regards
Han

At what age are you required to start carrying papers?
tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in

Sorry, I have no idea. I left Holland in 1969. Visiting since then quite often, but no need for new Dutch papers anymore. It doesn't answer your question, but at 16 you'd need papers to ride a moped, and at 18 to drive a car or motorcycle.
--
Best regards
Han
Swingman wrote:

because they want to "check your vision". Probably want to see if you are really alive.
--
G.W. Ross

It's amazing how much mature wisdom
G. Ross wrote the following on 7/23/2012 8:42 PM (ET):

It would make more sense to require an EKG upon renewal. NY just did away with the vision test upon renewal last year. Now we can renew by mail or online every 6 years. The photo on the license is also a joke. I haven't a new photo taken since 1998 when I was 60 YOA. I don't even recognize myself in the photo. :-)
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 7/23/2012 7:42 PM, G. Ross wrote:

I think the cutoff for online renewal is 79 here in Texas ... the heat desiccates and preserves us, and we appear younger, even when we're dead.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
"G. Ross" wrote:

Hasn't the ACLU gone after the state of Georgia yet?
Lew
On 7/23/2012 7:09 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

for the issuing of drive license identification. I also think it has something to do with the homeland security agency.
Indiana has the same thing that will be phased in on a rotating basis.

Yes, they're doing it all at once in GA. This is a one time only thing. After that, people can go back to renewing online, unless you're over 59. :-(

Georgia? I got a Georgia license a couple of months ago and had to go through all that. They asked if I wanted a five-year or nine-year license. Figuring that not going back to DDS was a good thing, I said nine-year. The problem is that I'm over 59, so can only get a five year (eye tests required every five). I have to change my address but I can't do it online because "I can't renew my license for more than five years". Argh! All I'm doing is changing the address. So, I gotta schlep down to DDS again (and it is a mess) and change the address. They'll then tell me that I need a new license, charge me for that, and then not refund the difference between the nine-year and five-year license. I can't wait for Obamacare.

I was happy with NJ DMV (after the first time, which was pretty bad). The DMV here has really improved tremendously in service. Their vehicle safety checks may have suffered, but I'll have to rely on my intuition and my mechanic for that ...
--
Best regards
Han

The first time you have to show up. After that it's all done on the Internet. Are you saying that Obamacare will be done over the Internet? Cool! Uh, how does surgery work?

More useless government meddling.

I had to re-appear in person a few years back, because of the shift to more "secure" licenses. My first appearance in NJ DMV was 1998, and that license was NOT "secure".

I know you can read better than that. But indeed aspects of Obamacare will likely be via internet (billing?). Any doctor worth her or his Medicare reimbursement will use internet.

Begrijp ik niet.
--
Best regards
Han