"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:500da9f4$0$1743 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Happy Birthday, Lew!!

Reply to
Han

Happy Birthday, you old reprobate! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Happy Birthday, Lew.

75, aye? A good day, indeed. A toast, for many more!

Wooden candles wouldn't be OT.

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

Happy one! Hope you have a lot more.

Mine was the 12th (only 72 candles). I remembered today that my driver's license expires on my birthday. More bad news--new law requires birth certificate or current passport, proof of SS number, two items of proof of current address. This is for new or renewal of DL. The lines used to be long, now they are said to be unending.

Reply to
G. Ross

Be careful. If we all start singing it could cause a natural disaster!

But Happy Birthday.

Reply to
Richard

As long as you can still count that high, it is a good thing.

Happy Birthday ya old fart!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Hell, if you don't need all that to vote ... providing you're demographically suspected of being a Democrat, that is.

Mine expired next month, except I took advantage of the ability to renew it early online about three months back ... and immediately got questioned when I presented it because it expires in August 2018, three months greater than the usual six year term.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:dt-dnYTBR-HBUZDNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I remember I needed something like those documents Ross mentioned to renew my NJ driver's license a few years ago (because NJ intend(ed) to have a NJ DL comply with standards for a national ID).

To vote, I walk or bicycle over and identify my listing in the book of registered voters (no, that is my wife, and that is my daughter), then sign 2 or 3 times. At least one of the people manning the polling place usually recognizes me.

Note that now the US is the only country where you can walk on the street and not have to be able to prove your identity to an agent of the authorities, unless there is reasonable suspicion you have done something unlawful. Until a few years ago that could be said of the Netherlands as well, but they complied with EU regulations, and now you have to have identity papers on you. Not sure what exactly is required over there as a minimum.

Reply to
Han

So, how much did a gallon of gasoline cost in 1955?

Reply to
Larry W

----------------------------- Hasn't the ACLU gone after the state of Georgia yet?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Georgia? I got a Georgia license a couple of months ago and had to go through all that. They asked if I wanted a five-year or nine-year license. Figuring that not going back to DDS was a good thing, I said nine-year. The problem is that I'm over 59, so can only get a five year (eye tests required every five). I have to change my address but I can't do it online because "I can't renew my license for more than five years". Argh! All I'm doing is changing the address. So, I gotta schlep down to DDS again (and it is a mess) and change the address. They'll then tell me that I need a new license, charge me for that, and then not refund the difference between the nine-year and five-year license. I can't wait for Obamacare.

Reply to
krw

Han,

At what age are you required to start carrying papers?

Reply to
tiredofspam

I used to renew online, but in GA you can't do that over age 59 because they want to "check your vision". Probably want to see if you are really alive.

Reply to
G. Ross

Don't know about '55, but in 61 it was 32 cents. There was a gas war in Athens, GA and gas got down to 18 cents before it started going back up. Back then the .9 cents may have meant a little on the price, but now it is useless.

Reply to
G. Ross

Happy Birthday!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I believe that is something that that has to do with a national standard for the issuing of drive license identification. I also think it has something to do with the homeland security agency.

Indiana has the same thing that will be phased in on a rotating basis.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

-------------------------------- All I remember was I could fill up my motorcycle, less than 2 gallons, with Amoco premium HiTest (White gas) for $0.50.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yes, they're doing it all at once in GA. This is a one time only thing. After that, people can go back to renewing online, unless you're over 59. :-(

Reply to
krw

tiredofspam wrote in news:ZP-dnf4iVsGNQ5DNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Sorry, I have no idea. I left Holland in 1969. Visiting since then quite often, but no need for new Dutch papers anymore. It doesn't answer your question, but at 16 you'd need papers to ride a moped, and at 18 to drive a car or motorcycle.

Reply to
Han