O/T: Star Nine (AKA: *9) Is Retired

Page 1 of 2
Modern technology is grand.
Got my first telephone headset with built-in speed dial in 1986.
First number programmed in was for my Mom.
Twenty years ago, when I moved from Ohio to SoCal, took that phone with me with Mom's number still programmed in it.
For those 20 years, once a week would punch in "*9", the phone would ring, and then the "Hello" from my mother's voice could be heard.
She would always comment that I sounded like I was just outside her window rather than the 2,500+ miles it actually was.
If I failed to call on time, could expect to find a voice mail from Mom when I got home, just "checking in" to see if I was "All-Right" since she hadn't heard from me.
She had a serious accident in 01/2007 and had to move to a nursing home, a move she reluctantly accepted.
Her phone went with her, including the same number she has had for more than 40+ years.
Our weekly telephone visits continued, but with increasing difficulty as her hearing diminished.
On 04/21/2008, Mom turned 103. and it's as if she had summoned the energy to strike one last hash mark on the wall and then said, "I'm done".
I was fortunate enough to get back to Ohio to be with her this past week end when cashed in her hand and peacefully retired "*9".
You had a good run Ma, you left it all on that playing field we call "Life".
Somehow, there will be another way to stay in touch.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sorry to hear about your mom, but you're right, 103 was a hell of a run.
--John

respects to the family. Mark

Condolences. It would be nice if we all could have a run that long.
"Upscale" wrote:

Probably being a red head of German heritage, like she was, wouldn't be a bad place to start<G>
BTW, thank you.
Lew

Thanks for sharing Lew.

Condolences, Lew. Very nice story; glad you got to live it for a long time.

I sometimes hear it said: "I know how you feel."
Well, I don't. I know my parents are 87. I'm not ready to say good bye. I doubt I ever will be. Another 16 years for mine? I'll take it.
Sorry to hear about your loss, Lew.
Rob

off to across the pond to see her mother, who may be in the last stages of recognizing her.
Elderly people, especially, but not exclusively those living alone, need to wear a medical alert device. Moreover, they need to talk to all their acquaintances and family about what to do in an emergency.
Those things are a "conditio sine qua non" which simply means do it or else.
We are all on this earth to help each other, so better accept the help. It is not prying, it is not excessively relying, it is not imposing, it is just being human (you religious types may use your own lingo).
Another thing to talk about is what to do when something happens, and when heroic measures should or should not be employed. Medicine is now able to prolong suffering too long, and the question is when to let go.
To all: Happy July 4th!
To Lew: Hang in there buddy!
--
Best regards
Han

Grander than you realize! After listening to you mention your Mom for the past six or seven years, the simple truth is that, thanks to technology, she touched more lives than even she possibly knew ... now we'll all miss her!
Our family's condolences to you and yours, Lew.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Well said, and how true.
A bond between a mother an son can be a very, very special thing. I am sure yours is not broken.
I will be glad to remember you and yours in my nightly consultation with the Big Guy.
My condolences, Lew.
Robert
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Death is a part of life. Saying that does not make coping any easier. My mom made it to 98; she would have been 100 June 30. I would have cherished that extra 5 years, but it was not to be.
My condolences Lew.
    mahalo,     jo4hn
sincere condolence Lew The fond memories last forever. I lost mother (muz) a few years ago at age 82. She to was sent to a home, but it was a bad place, all they did was drug the crap outta her til she did not know if she was on foot or horseback. I could not stand to see her go that way so I did a quick remodel in our home (bedroom bath accessible) and she lasted another 3 1/3 mo. she to was 100% German and expressed it in her cooking. I still use her recepies often and there is not a day go's by without thoughts of her character. Quote from Muz : from the day you were born til you ride in a hurse there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse. ross
"Ross Hebeisen" wrote:

Definitely not the case here, Mom got excellent care.

Let's see here, tell me you make your own noodles, do your green beans in a pot with onion and bacon, and love fried cabbage with bacon.
Oh yea, don't forget the "knockers".
Lew

A bond like that doesn't just go away. She sounded like a true character and good friend.
My condolences Lew.
You mom and hopefully you have some great genetics!!
She'll live on every day in you.
It sounds like you won the "mom lottery"!
I'm very sorry for you loss.
On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:44:01 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Sorry to hear that Lew.
103. What a grand and relevant life and what changes she must have seen.
Going to see my mother this coming week. She's 84, and I should make those visits more frequently....If Boerne, TX was just a little closer....
Frank
"Frank Boettcher" wrote:

Thank you.

Starting with learning to drive a Model T.

I hear you.
Keep the rubber bands wound up tight and your arms in good flapping condition.
You only get ONE shot.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

Heartfelt condolences, Lew.
Ever is too soon if quality of life remains; unfortunately in my mother's case the last couple of years weren't...
You did get me into gloomy day, however; wife is (and has been for most of a month) doing hospice care for her next younger sister. The word this morning was not good...
"dpb" wrote:

Thank you.

The hospice procedure is in itself good news.
At least she will be kept comfortable.
Lew