O/T: Never Thought I'd See It

Page 2 of 3

writes:

I hear you... to some extent. The "fact" is though, there is no health benefit to smoking to anyone concerned. When the (US and some others) gov. figured out the detrimental effects of asbestos, it was outlawed. Do you support the right to choose to use or quit using asbestos? The same goes for lead in paint or water pipes, for that matter... or DDT to control mosquitos... or a bunch of other stuff currently illegal to use.
I have smoked. Up to 3 packs a day and for 35 or so years. I quit 4 1/2 yrs ago. I still love the smell of the stuff... I never cared about people smoking in restaurants or much of anywhere. Truth be told, sometimes I stand downwind of smokers, on purpose. What I'm saying is that my opinion is *not* based on overzealous, holier-than-thou ex-smoker hoo-haw. The *facts* are overwhelming against smoking. A lot of the public perception is based on carefully orchestrated science based campaigns to sell us the stuff.
Sorry, I think the days of smoking are numbered and I think it is a good thing. I think that *is* the function of government.
Ed

Hear ya. I quit smoking a little later than that, and admittedly slipped in a puff, now and then, in later years. I allow myself a celebratory cigar about once a year. but I have been pretty clean for the past 15 years.
We had a couple of bars in the Wichita area that make wonderful, old- fashioned hamburgers. I really enjoyed the hamburgers, but secretly enjoyed the smoke.
Addict.
RonB

Not according to a number of medical scientists. Of course, you're free to label them as caveats too.
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Think that is called a "No Smoking" sign.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Nope, that's the government _setting_ the smoking policy.
If someone wants to hang a sign on the door that says "smokers of pipes, cigars, cigarettes, and tiparillos are welcome in this establishment and anybody who doesn't want to be exposed to smoke is asked to take their business elsewhere instead of coming in here and whining about it" they should be able to.
The result of the current laws is that there are already smokeasies open in some cities.
Why are you people so bound and determined to create a new income source for organized crime?

for
Come on! That's pretty simplistic don't you think? As long as there's any type of society, there's always going to be criminal elements trying to make illegal profits out of it.
Upscale wrote:

Let the market decide.
Smoke-free restaurants and smoking restaurants. Or separate sections in the same restaurant.
This simple solution is, however, insufficient for the True Believer (see the book by the same name by Eric Hoffer).
People mind their own business when it's worth minding. When it's not, they take their mind off their own meaningless affairs by minding someone else's business.
These folks are, nevertheless, a source of some amusement. Whenever some granny-lady starts whacking me with her umbrella and screeching in a voice that has not endeared her to any number of husbands: "You godless communist, you can't smoke here!," I simply reply: "It's all right, madam, I'm French."
HeyBub wrote:

Next time, try, "Being French, it is incumbent upon me to ask you this question, madam. Do you screw."
With any luck she'll pop a blood vessel and the world will be a better place.
J. Clarke wrote:

Not a good idea, the harridan might say, "Sure, let's". :)
dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

Then you get to say "only if I can smoke after".

I smoked for a long time, quit about 7-8 years ago. I really notice the smoke, but don't bitch about it.
I agree with you. Let the market decide.
The businesses that catered to smokers would attract that business, and vice-versa.
--
Kiva - Loans that change lives.
http://www.kiva.org/lender/david87375440
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Back several years ago when AZ went the "smoke-free" path, a restaurant owner wanted to turn his restaurant into a "smoking club". To a reasonable person, this seemed pretty reasonable, there are lots of restaurants in Tucson and there would be no doubt what one would be walking into if you entered this person's establishment. To a reasonable person. Reality? Full force of the law came down on this guy's head. How dare he think that he could run HIS business as he saw fit?!

Mark & Juanita wrote:

But just think what could have happened if they had allowed it...
The club is a rousing success, filled with patrons happily puffing away. One of them opens the door to leave and at that very moment an innocent non-smoker is passing by. WHAM! That innocent inhales - ACTUALLY INHALES - a whiff of the transient smoke and now has to live with the certain knowledge that his/her life has been shortened and may end painfully and slowly from lung cancer.
Arizona - and California, Washington, New York, Florida, et al - knows best. So does big brother.
dadiOH
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Wonder what would happen if you advertised for something (a job, selling chia plants, tutoring, offering a kitten for adoption, etc.) and said in your ad "smokers only need apply?" That is, who would get their panties in a wad if you discriminated against non-smokers?
HeyBub wrote:

Yeah, but was anybody preventing a "well behaved" non-smoker from walking into that smoking club and having a good time in spite of the smoke? I doubt there was there a sign on the door of the club that said "Non-smokers not allowed", so I don't see now they could have shut it down because of discrimination.
Steve Turner wrote:

Nope, there was no requirement that people entering that club had to smoke, just that they could.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Once upon a time, a fried-chicken joint in Kentucky applied for a Service Mark ("Ford has a better idea" "Coke's the real thing") from the Commissioner of Patents and Trademarks. Several groups objected the the issuance of the service mark and a notice was placed in the Federal Register regarding the form and times for commentary.
In my view, the service mark "Jack's Fried Chicken, where a breast in the mouth is as good as a thigh in the hand" would have been a self-correcting problem. Either Jack would have made a fortune or somebody would have burnt his place to the ground.
But noooo! We had to have notices in the Federal Register, meetings hearings, documents in triplicates, writs by the wagon full, twelve lawyers singing, notaries public without number.
Oh well.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The revenge of the flower children. Marijuana is legal but Dad has to sneak around to smoke his pipe.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

And I've watched what amounts to the reverse. Mother and son doing some shopping in the supermarket. The kid was pretty big, I figure about 10 years old. He wanted his mother to buy him things as they were walking around and she was refusing. He was punching, kicking and slapping her because he'd put something in the shopping cart and she'd put it back on the shelf.
They weren't speaking English so there wasn't much I could say. I was sorely tempted to slap the kid silly, but I didn't really feel like spending time in jail.
There was a case where some kid was just losing it and wailing away in a supermarket. The kids mother pretended not to hear any of it. This kid was apparently shrieking like a stuck pig. A woman walked up to the kid's mother and slapped her.
If this happened around here, I would be contributing to the slapper's defense fund.
Last year I saw a similar incident in a local grocery store except the mother could not control the child. The kid had to be 9-10 years old. I walked up to the mother and asked if she would like for me to take care of the problem. She said if you can, yes. I looked at the kid and said I can, and then walked over to the boy and simply said we are going to take this out side where we will not be bothering any one, I suggest you straighten up now. He shut up. I did this for a single mom neighbor about 10 years ago also. The trick is to make a suggestion but not explain the details, let the child imagine what could happen. ;~)