O/T: Gotta Love It

Page 8 of 8
J. Clarke wrote:

Bingo! But, if you REALLY want to stop it, the ONLY thing that would work to make "enforcement" efficient/viable are stiff fines for first offenders, and mandatory jail sentences for the second offense.
Put some soccer mom's high school kid in jail for thirty days, and it wouldn't take long for the ADD generation and their spawn to get the point.
Too damn bad the warm fuzzy liberal judges, the ultimate political appointees of the very folks screaming the loudest in favor of the laws, won't do that.
A perfect example of the built-in inconsistencies in warm fuzzy thinking ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I was hoping somebody would try to make this a purely one-sided partisan issue.
That train ain't never late.
That person ... always seems ignorant to the corporate interests whose profitability would be *decimated* by proposals like banning cell phone use while driving.
And ... as we all know ... only one party is beholden to the interests of Big Business, right??
Hmm.

Which ... as it turns out ... usually leads to better conclusions than not thinking at all, or -- perhaps worse -- confirmation bias ;-)

Excuse me, but ... every point you made was both reasonable and well made.
Please stop.
;-)
Steve Turner wrote:

This debate is as old as technology. I have some old amateur radio magazine from the 50's in which there were discussions of various municipalities banning the use of microphones while driving. Much for and agin' on the ham radio side. This whole thread could have been held in a several month sequence of letters to the editor in "CQ" magazine back in 1955.
/disclaimers: a) No, I'm not that old, I got the magazines from a family friend when I was about 12. and b) no, I'm not a ham operator, I could never teach myself how to reliably receive the required morse code at speed. Sending, no problem, hearing -- big problem. But I did actively pursue it when I was young, built a couple of receivers and spent a lot of time listening as well as shortwave listening.

Rob Leatham

Jammers are available.
In fact, for the States, the UK is our primary source.
But ... think about it: if you think the cell-phone-using driver is distracted while they're mindlessly chatting away, then just imagine their reaction when their call suddenly drops.
I think you make a horrid situation worse.
Movies? Restaurants? Elevators? For environments like that, I'd LOVE to have one ;-)
The operation of a jamming device in the US can get you a $20000 fine and five years in jail. The operation of such a device in the UK can put you in violation of two laws. One carrying a maximum fine of 5000, the other a maximum of two years in jail and an unlimited fine. In the US, many things are available for purchase but are not legal to use. In the UK, devices that are illegal to use are generally illegal to manufacture or purchase.

Likewise.
I'd love to have a personal 100 ft radius jammer. The number of people who blather endlessly about inane crap is noise pollution in the worst degree. It's only due to the power of corporate money that has made the cell phone unstopable in everyday life. OTOH, with the advent of texting and the horrendous charges inflicted on the customer, I'm amazed companies have not made a u-turn and advocated the banning of cell phone conversation many places. Now that texting is possible, the lame excuse of "my baby is on fire", along with the higher texting fees, makes cell phone drone laws completely bogus.
nb

to turn the TV off, this will not work through a hat, and the remote needs to be aimed at the TV for it to receive the IR beam. Secondly most cheap TVs do not have discrete off codes, it is the same code that turns the TV on -- it works as a toggle -- so if the TV is off it will turn it on, if it is on it will turn it off.
"EXT" wrote:

I'm just the messenger, not the designer/builder.
BTW, there seems to be a commercially available unit which was posted in a previous response.
Lew
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 00:07:18 -0500, the infamous "EXT"

All of the new DVRs use an RF signal, so this is more plausible than you think.
-- "I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy." --Tom Clancy

Some do, some don't. At the present time they all accept an IR signal as RF signals cannot be learned by Universal Remotes. Most better Universal Remotes can send RF signals to a Black Box next to the equipment which then in turn forwards an IR signal directly to each piece of equipment's IR receiver.
On 12/27/2009 11:55 AM, EXT wrote:

The DirecTV DVR remote is programmable to use either RF or IR to the DVR. It is also programmable in IR for your TV, DVD, HT audio, etc. It's a fairly decent universal remote.
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:37:39 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

I've done the same thing before, but my preferred target is a bar when the Leaf's are playing and I get to watch everybody freak out. It's truly amazing to see the fans support such an inept hockey team when they've given so little back all these past years.