O/T: Gotta Love It TV-B-Gone and similar devices

Doesn't seem to make any difference witness the fact that Maria got a cell phone ticket.

You are kidding yourself if you think you can hold a meaningful conversation while driving and not sacrifice the amount of attention required for safe driving.

In the SFWIW category, back in the mid '60s, The City Of Brooklyn, OH, a burb of Cleveland, was the first city to enact seat belt legislation requiring that they be worn while driving in Brooklyn.

Thirty years later, Brooklyn was again the first city in the USA to ban the use of Cell phones while driving in Brooklyn.

Don't know about now, but back then, Brooklyn was a very well run city and a neat place to live.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Careful there nutjob, you're way out of your league with that kind of online threat ... reconsider, very carefully, those words.

Reply to
Swingman

You brought the CA law in to this, dude ... are you telling me that the great state of CA would pass a law based on incomplete/faulty research??

Do tell ...

Reply to
Swingman

I welcome new regulation on what we can and cannot do, enforced by all levels of government. The sooner we become like the UK, or Vancouver, the better.

Welcome to our Bureaucrat Overlords! Stop me from thinking or having to accept responsibility for my actions! Make ME a victim TOO!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

No kidding ... our forefathers came here _specifically_ so we wouldn't end up like Europe.

Reply to
Swingman

Luckily, a Great Deal has changed since then.

Reply to
Neil Brooks

In CT, they outlawed "any distraction" so it includes all of those things. A little common sense on the driver's side goes a long way.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Was it Voltaire who said, "Common sense is not so common?"

Indeed.

Reply to
Neil Brooks

Or unluckily, a New Deal.

Reply to
krw

Actually, ours didn't. AND they burned down your White House.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I make no threat. I declare only that I countenance no threats from newsgroup whackjobs such as yourself.

nb

Reply to
notbob

In a few days here in Saskabush, it will be illegal to drive while talking on a phone without a hands free.

Funny, we have this statute about "driving without due care and attention" that never gets enforced.

Yup. More laws. Much needed.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yep, the British did indeed ... wars are like that, win a few, lose a few. But damn, were they happy to see us when it really counted in 1917 and 1941.

Reply to
Swingman

That's much better, nutbob ... keep in mind it's there for future reference in case you forget yourself again with further irrational behavior.

Reply to
Swingman

You know, I thought about using something other than "undivided attention", but I decided to leave it in just to see how many people would call me on it. :-)

Fine; I'll restate. For many people, there *are* situations where driving does not require 100% of their attention (Mario Andretti driving a Honda Civic at

28mph in a 35mph zone might be one example). If a careful and alert driver deems the risk factor to be low enough, many can give the act of driving all the attention it needs yet still have plenty of brain capacity left over for other things; other people, not so much. For some, anything other than their "undivided attention" would make them an unsafe driver.

I only used that as one example of the zillion things that drivers do *instead* of paying attention to the road. All I'm saying is that some people are such idiots they can't even have a simple conversation with a passenger without weaving all over the road.

Yes, and because of that idiot, those of us who just want to call our wives in light traffic to ask if we need to bring some milk home will be banned from doing so.

Teenagers have been inventing new and outrageous ways to get themselves killed on the highway for decades.

By leaving the line where it is and enforcing the existing careless and imprudent driving laws.

Reply to
Steve Turner

IIRC, I've been online since about 1994.

In that time, I cannot EVER remember me saying this, but ... it's time:

When you have to resort to name-calling, it's the surest sign that you've lost the debate.

Bravo!!!

Reply to
Neil Brooks

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 23:27:32 -0600, Steve Turner

Just the fact that you're arguing this topic shows everybody that

*you* are one of those people that doesn't have the requisite awareness to qualify for your ridiculous statement of having enough brain power left over for something else.

The real fact is that no one, not even your Mario Andretti example is capable of being aware of everything around them when they're driving. There's just too many things that can happen. There are people however that are much more aware than others. They are the safer driver.

It's like taking martial arts training. As you progress through the ranks, you gain additional awareness of what is happening around you and that gives you greater control in a given situation. But, even the top ranked in martial arts will admit that no one knows it all, there's always something additional to learn. Driving can be considered the same way. It's common sense.

Reply to
upscale

Agreed. Just as long as they got in there eventually and did their best, the rest is just poking with a sharp stick.

Despite the barbs and the arguments, I for one am glad that Canada is as closely tied to the US as it is. I can envision a lot of other locations that Canada could be placed other than North America and not one of them appeals to me.

Reply to
upscale

You won't hear any argument on that count from me ... I'm a big fan of both Canada and England, with relatives in both countries, and, AAMOF, fought side by side with a Canadian outfit in RVN ... they were in my fire support fan for 7 months and I called in artillery fire for them almost daily.

I don't understand why Dave would go off on that tangent ... but we all do strange things on a Sunday after Christmas ... maybe the eggnog, eh?

Reply to
Swingman

Oh, you're a real sharp tack. I didn't call *anybody* involved in this "debate" an idiot (though with you I'm getting pretty close). The "idiot" in this case (and let me just repaste the relevant context that you snipped) is the guy "in heavy fast moving traffic while trying to give detailed technical support to a customer". If you disagree with me that this guy's operating in an idiotic fashion, then perhaps your argument for banning his use of a cell phone just disappeared into thin air, no?

Reply to
Steve Turner