O/T: Gotta Love It TV-B-Gone and similar devices

Merely stated that CA had enacted cell phone legislation, and that they had some company since they weren't the only state with legislation on their respective books.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A question for you Canucks ... I always wondered about these guys ... there was a small group of them (Canadians) serving as advisers (US) to a Montangard tribe in the Central Highlands and were reportedly indians themselves. Although I heard them daily on the radio, I actually ran across a couple of them in Dalat when the ARVN Ranger outfit I was with occupied a firebase there for a few weeks. Besides decidedly Candian accented English, they spoke Quebecois French, similar to what I heard as a kid and what my Dad spoke natively. Since Dalat had been under French rule for some time, and French was as prevalent as Vietnamese in that region, I figured that was why they were in the area.

Where and what kind of Canadian indians would be serving in the US Army during that time?

Reply to
Swingman

Hm.

No sense in me checking to verify whether or not I made a mistake ... since ... you just did it (again?) :-)

Reply to
Neil Brooks

Best guess from me would be volunteers. I have heard of a number of instances where Canadian natives volunteered for US service since Canada was not actively involved in a war or 'police' action.

Reply to
upscale

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 22:37:14 -0800 (PST), Neil Brooks

Hope it doesn't put you off. Name calling and insinuations are fairly common. Hell, I specialize in name calling. If I couldn't do it, I'd be cut off at the knees. :)

Reply to
upscale

What the hell does that even mean? You have no idea how aware I am of my surroundings when I'm driving. I *know* my awareness is as good as it gets, and I *know* it's better than 90% of the other people on the road. Of course, I can't *prove* it to you, and even though I've had a clean driving slate for

15 over years, I'm sure statistics will "prove" that my use of a cellphone on the road makes me an unsafe driver.

Oh yeah; that safer driver? That's me. Does that earn me the right to use my cellphone when *I* deem it to be safe? No, I didn't think so.

I see. Since nobody can ever be perfect, I guess nobody can ever be trusted to operate a cellphone in motor vehicle in a responsible fashion. What about all those commercial drivers out there that use other forms of "contraptions" to communicate with their central office or co-workers? Two-way radios? I don't recall this issue ever coming up with CB radios.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Native Americanadian Indians don't recognize the border between the US and Canada. At least, around these parts, they can work and live on either side of the border. Maybe that applies to all Native Americans.

Reply to
Robatoy

Do you know how to read? You certainly seem able to snip things that don't play into your "argument"...

Reply to
Steve Turner

Don't think I've ever met a Canadian overseas that wasn't proudly, and obviously, just that. These guys were the same.

But maybe it was just the times ...

Reply to
Swingman

Well, that got it back on topic ...

Reply to
LDosser

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 00:45:57 -0600, Steve Turner

Just because trucker's two way radios are currently in the news doesn't mean that they're safe. It just means they're not currently up for discussion.

I think even you'll admit that cell phones on the road out number truckers two way radios by a very large margin. Cars outnumber trucks by a large margin. To me anyway, it makes sense that cell phone use by regular drivers is what should be targeted.

I don't see too many truckers applying their make up or putting on lipstick while holding a mirror and cell phone and driving at the same time. Or perhaps reading stock market results while driving and talking on the cell phone? Cars and cell phones? I've seen all instances a number of times and I don't even have a car. How can you refute that cell phones are not a distraction... a distraction for everybody, no matter who you are?

Reply to
upscale

Come back when you've got Fifty.

Reply to
LDosser

Exceptionally well. Thank you!

Your argument.

I was interested in a discussion.

Carry on.

Reply to
Neil Brooks

On Dec 28, 2:30=A0am, Neil Brooks wrote: .

No you're not. You're being a dick.

Reply to
Robatoy

Unfortunately far too many of them are travelling tired or wired.

Reply to
LDosser

That, I have heard and also that there's a move in Ontario underway (or might already be in effect) to limit the number of hours they can drive.

Reply to
upscale

Oh, you mean like your not-so-couched threat to visit great physical harm on those who offend. Momma notbob never raised such a foolish child, whackman.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Ouch.

Reply to
Neil Brooks

Ok, so you've always been a perfect driver, whereas I've made a few mistakes along the way before I learned my lessons. The fact is, we're both demonstrably "safe" drivers, but that means nothing in the face of the crusade to ban the use of cellphones while driving. I can still have my hot cup of McDonald's coffee in one hand, a hash brown in the other, fiddling the controls on my road shaking stereo system while checking my look in the vanity mirror, but the minute I put that cellphone to my ear I'm a *criminal*.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Nah.

HUGE numbers of people vocally advocate for enforcement of "distracted driver" laws that are already on the books of so many municipalities.

But ... those cries seem to fall on deaf (or cell phone distracted) ears.

Why? I can only speculate.

If municipalities WOULD start enforcing distracted driver laws -- a proposition with just about zero downside -- then there would BE no additional law needed.

Reply to
Neil Brooks