Norm's mahagany finish

Page 4 of 4
George responds:

Everybody's mother WAS a virgin.
Is Norm Jewish or does someone think Abram sounds Jewish? Honest question. I've never thought about it before. Probably never again.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Half a dozen rejoinders popped to mind. All of them without malice intended; all likely to offend someone, someplace. <sigh>
All hell - "vive l'difference" and "can't we all just get along?".
mttt asks:

Well, I still don't know, which fits right up there with how much I care. My remark was to the person who said he was Jewish, not meant as a snip at either Abram or Judaism.
I wouldn't even care if he was Scottish or Irish.

Well, no. No reason we should. But the arguments shouldn't be based on religion.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
Y'need new glasses, Charlie, or perhaps you should sit closer to the front of the class. Luigi's statement that "Norm is Jewish and a carpenter and his mother was a virgin. 'Nuff said!" seems an obvious reference to someone else who flourished a couple millennia ago....
You also passed on my rejoinder that Norm could not speak ex cathedra without his brad nailer in hand as well.

showing my ignance ,what do "ex cathedra" mean...mjh

It means "from the chair" (of St. Peter).
Specifically, it refers to a precondition for infallible declarations by the Pope. He must be speaking on matters of faith and morals and must declare his intent to be speaking "ex cathedra"; that is, with the authority conferred on St. Peter as Pastor and chief Doctor of the church.
For a more scholarly treatment see the following:
"A sheriff could never subpoeni Giovanni Baptiste Montini Cause no one would ever dare quibble With a man who is infallibibble"
    (unknown c. 1970's C.E.)
{1) aka Pope Paul VI (rip)

Say - he does take a shine to Plaid, now - doesn't he?!? :)

Add in "race, gender, choice-of-finish" and I'm with ya'!

On 24 Feb 2004 19:39:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Just so long as he's not Swiss.
Everyone hates the Swiss.
And they deserve it, too.
Swiss bastiges. . .
Say, did ya hear the one, "Two Swiss guys go into a bar. . ."
How about the one ...there was a young girl from Madras who had a very fine ass, not round and pink as you may think, but was grey, had long ears and who ate grass. alway did like that one ....mjh
(Charlie Self)

How about this one?
A guy sends his wife to the drug store for deodorant, she can't remember what kind to get.
Wife: "I don't know what kind of deodorant to get for my husband."
Employee: "Does he use the ball kind?"
Wife: "No, the underarm kind is what he normally uses."
boom-crash! <G>
Barry
On 24 Feb 2004 13:17:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) scribbled:

I haven't got a clue, and I care as much as you probably do. I vaguely remember someone asking or mentioning it or arguing about it on the wreck many years ago. I just thought it was a good line and stole it for the Anti-FAQ.
Ah! Actually, a Google search revealed that the Heartbreak Kid once said, back in 1996 when I started lurking here: "I believe that you are in error: although he is Jewish and a carpenter, he is not God." So, that's where I got the line.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:50:30 -0500, "George"

Only when MIke is speaking Ex Cathedra, and, having seen his chair work, I feel that he's entitled.

Mike Hide? If so, please tell us the gnarly details of his fastener free, glueless, secret formula topcoated dream derriere dishes.
The "carpenter" in a repeat of his amateurish travesty of tv, used a spokeshave, chisels and a lathe to mangle what he called a chair. Pray, tell, how can we rise above?
The "carpenter" keeps going to museums where fools preserve stained mahogany and even dross cobbeled together with metal fasteners! Where can we go to see real furniture?
Always remember Edwin the guy is really a carpenter Thats why he shows his ignorance on such matters for all to see on TV. I bet he never even mentioned a "brown " mahogany stain
Stuff like Honduras mahogany is wasted on the likes of Norm.....Even stranger when I come to think of it wasn't someone on this group talking about making a deckout of it six months or so ago ......those kind of people should be locked up .....mjh
--

"Edwin Pawlowski" < snipped-for-privacy@snet.net> wrote in message
news:a09_b.17043$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
Can't be a man, 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarette I do.

I don't agree with the walnut stain, but .... I was at a Woodcraft store in Charleston,S.C. last weekend and one piece of wood that caught my eye was a finished piece of mahogany.
The finishing schedule was written on the back.
I was blown away by the results and kept expecting to see the words "sprayed finish", which didn't ever appear.
The basics was sanding,staining,sealing,top coat,sealing, more top coat,sealing,rub out.....(13-14 steps as I recall)
It was beautiful and had at least two "stains" applied to it. A cover stain of water based "dye" from Jeff Jewitt and then a "colored filler" by Behlen.
I was blown away by the finished results.....
When I asked why he stained it, he said most people(pros) will end up staining mahogany to get a "slightly darker" look than the native "pink" that mahogany often shows.
After seeing this "all hand applied" finish, I have to vote in favor of "helping" the mahogany.....