Norm's mahagany finish

Page 1 of 4  
I was watching a re-run of YW this morning and Norm was making a tray table out of mahogany. Nice looking wood that sells for about $6.50 and up. When it was almost done, I thought it looked pretty good.
Then he said mahogany can be too red so he put a dark walnut stain on it!!!!. I'm glad this was before breakfast or I would have puked. He'd have don better using mdf and a couple of coats of brown latex.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Always remember Edwin the guy is really a carpenter Thats why he shows his ignorance on such matters for all to see on TV. I bet he never even mentioned a "brown " mahogany stain
Stuff like Honduras mahogany is wasted on the likes of Norm.....Even stranger when I come to think of it wasn't someone on this group talking about making a deckout of it six months or so ago ......those kind of people should be locked up .....mjh

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Actually mahogany is used quite often for high end decks because it is rot and decay resistant. It is also used in the marine trades for the same reason.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

...and "red" mahogany turns brown in sunlight anyway. Isn't Chippendale's furniture mostly mahogany oiled brown?
--
Doors - Locks - Weatherstripping
POB 250121 Atlanta GA 30325
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:
[ill advised response to troll snipped]
Please don't feed the trolls.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You know, I don't like to stain wood either. However, since Norm is making the item for himself, why shouldn't he be allowed to finish it however he likes?
scott
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

making
No one said he can't and no one cares what he does in the privacy of his shop with consenting adults.
HOWEVER, this is more than just a guy making a tray for himself. He is a celebrity that has much influence to his audience. My mother bought Lipton tea because Arthur Godfrey advertised Lipton tea. Kids buy sneakers because the associate the brand with their favorite star. Sadly, people will be putting walnut stain on mahogany because Norm did. Celebrities do have some responsibility and can be held to a higher standard. Ed
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So because some people are gullible sheep, Norm shouldn't do what he thinks is correct, right and proper for him? The argument doesn't hold water.
There is nothing fundamentally incorrect about using stain on mahogony, purists notwithstanding.
scott
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote in message

Lipton
because
some
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Scott Lurndal wrote:

As I said, I don't care what HE does, but he is a teacher, a leader, a source of supposedly good information. He should be teaching how it could be finished, not just doing what he wants with no explanation. .
Yes, gullible sheep will do exactly as he does. How many times have you seen a request for plans here asking "I want to make an 8" burfl, but the only plans I could find are for 6" burfls" because the twit has no concept of adding two inches to a couple of dimensions? Same with finishing
If he shows a piece of the natural mahogany and one with stain, I may have thought nothing of it, but he leads people to belived that wood must be stained. I'm sure you don't agree, but I think he should encourage free thinking, not just doing it one way.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I like Norm, but I also know that an awful lot of people watch his show and think "I could do that if only I had all that stuff." We 'wreckers all know that tools are only part of the equation. I know that if I had Tom Plamann's shop, I still couldn't build one of his stairways anytime soon. In time, maybe, but I certainly know there's a lot of talent and hard work behind the finished products. I can go on and on about people looking at a creation of mine and commenting on the tools. I think Norm often makes things look too easy.
However, Norm does seem to have that bias towards a certain company's finishing products. I don't know if it's lack of knowledge about other stuff or pure sponsor pressure.
I'd at least like to see the guy use a GOOD quality stain like Mohawk/Behlen's. Or maybe talk about oils vs. dyes vs. pigments vs. combinations of all of the above, and show the difference. A mention of stock selection, considering the part, would be excellent as well. At least he's spent a minute or two on milk paint.
I don't see a problem with staining mahogany at all. I do have a problem with staining mahogany with 'el cheapo products!
OTOH, David Marks seems to put Tung Oil on EVERYTHING!
Barry
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
B a r r y wrote:

He does make it look easy. I've never seen him do a work around because he did not have the right tool. We might use a router and table saw and drill press and tweak with planes and chisels to get a ceratin cut, but Norm just puts in on the Binford Wood-O-Matic and pushes the button.
While the show encourges woodworking, I imagine that some people get frustrated because it takes them a half hour to set up a cut and Norm has the whole project built in that time. And they think they must have the Wood-O-Matic to do anything good.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

If they aren't smart enough to realize that the project isn't *really* built in half an hour, they don't deserve a Wood-O-Matic.
Neither Norm nor Marks build their project in a half hour. It's called television entertainment production. I would think you'd be clever enough to have noticed that.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Norms shows are entertainment but many consider them to be instructional, anyone but a rank amateur who sees the show as instructional knows these projects are not done in 30 minutes.
As I said earlier Norm is in fact a glorified carpenter. At least in other show TOH he uses experts in the various field of house renovation. So why not someone who knows at least the rudiments of finishing in his other show . After all the finishing aspects are just as important as how the thing is built ,if the finish is crap so is the end item.....mjh
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Of course they're instructional. I defy anyone to not learn something from them.

I think you do a disservice to rank amateurs...and place too much emphasis on what the show is or isn't, or what you think it should be.

You say that as though it's a crime.

Like the project where he got finishing tips from a professional finish restorer? And the projects subsequent to that where he has mentioned he's employed those tips in the currennt project?

Please. What "rudiments" of finishing does he not know? If you're just a finishing snob, then there's no correct answer. So many finishing snobs blindly prostrate themselve at the altar of David Marks and his incessant tung oil use that they get completely lathered at their perception of what the *right* finish shoudl be.
Honestly, you sound as bad as the guy who posted a while back that Norm doesn't show the proper respect for the wood. What hogwash.

Crap? Norm has done polyurethane, wax, modified French polish, tung oil, and a couple of others that I can't recall. Are they all crap, or is it just one or two you think are crap?
I suppose the same naysayers who rail on him about "doing a whole project in 30 minutes" figure he's doing a crap finish because he "does it alll in the last two minutes of the program."
Not one time have I heard any one of these same people say what finish it is that he *ought* to be doing.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Even if it is how not to do it !!!

That was in fact a comment on someones earlier observation

I have the utmost respect for carpenters, they make important contributions to construction on a daily basis

Ah so the idea of covering up a perfectly good piece of Mahogany with walnut stain wasn't Norms idea

is
Poly is probably the most durable but I don't care for it personally ,it looks like a sticky finish with no character, french polish is a great finish but very suceptable to water let alone alcohol. Tung oil in one of the constituents in varnish, on its own it will continue sink into the wood and gather dust in the wood pores until the surface is almost black. Even worse if at some later date you wish to refinish the item [perhaps to get back to the items real color] it is extremely difficult to get a finish to take due to the ingrained oil.
Yes i would say most are crap.

As important as finishes are your hero should perhaps consider doing at least a couple of programs on finishes alone, then perhaps he could enlighten the audience on why he picked a particular finish and how it was applied. Perhaps then your next comment would be answered.
In another post someone mentioned going to Charleston and seeing a piece of Mahogany and admiring the quality of the finish . The thing that struck me was he thought it was JUST a sprayed on finish . People should realize there is a little more to it than just pulling the trigger on a spray gun, similary with french polishing it is more than wopping on a bunch of shellac mixed with alcohol and bit of oil on and calling it french polished ,people used to be french polishers by trade ,much like carpenters are today with the exception that you had to serve a five year appreticeship before you qualified.

mjh
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Right on.
"Nothing is ever *totally*useless*, it can always serve as a bad example."
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:
[utterly useless "everything he does is wrong" patter snipped]
And for all of that, you still haven't told us what finish we all are SUPPOSED to be using.
According to you.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not sure what you are saying, but you sure seem to enjoy saying it. Why not provide some criticism? So far all that has been said is that he stained mahogany. By all means give us more, something of substance, especially the woodworking part, since he is a "carpenter."
By the way, you can find plenty of pieces that run in the tens of thousands that are made of mahogany and stained. What was the historical reference that was used in the show that was such a travesty?

lol... the "rudiments" are lacking? Tell us more.

Can we see some of your non-crap finishing? What do you use? The other guy who was dissing him used stain on pine. He probably used a wreck approved top coat though.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:36:37 -0600, p snipped-for-privacy@postzzzmark.net (p_j) wrote:

You're wasting your time p, or should I call you Mr. i? I've seen his type on the internet for years; all criticism, no examples of his own, better, work.
What is a wreck approved top coat, anyway? I hear bitching about poly, bitching about, shellac, bitching about French polish, bitching about wax. That almost leaves tung oil and lacquer. Are those it?
No one ever mentions Watco; is that verboten, too? I'm sure someone would bitch that all you do is slather it on, hit it with a few dozen paper towels (when everyone knows you're supposed to use lint free cloth), and then parade it around as if you'd done an actual finish.
Harrumph. Finishing snobs.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.