Norm's brad nailer....

Page 1 of 2
I have to confess that I watch NYW every week & have collected the tapes of each show for years. I have all but maybe 15 or so projects (thanks to HGTV).
More to the point. Every time I see Norm glue and the shoot a 1 1/4 inch brad into a dado (or whatever) I think to myself that the head of his nailer is very small compared to my PC brad nailer. I can't get into the joint as close as Norm does. My brads wind up standing proud & I have to set them manually (God!).
It looks like a Senco, but because it's PBS they try to cover the logo so I'm not sure.
Lou
loutent wrote:

Lou...
I bought Harbor Freight's cheapest (US$15) and it's done a first class job for me (@ 115 psi).
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Yep, its a Senco as I recall. Can't rember what model
John

It's a Senco SLP20. It only has a 1 1/2" shooting capacity, but that is about all you need.

Norm has used several air nailers over the years. In the brad category he first used a Bostich T31 (Hall of Fame on my Norm's Tools page at my site). He's mostly replaced that with the Senco SLP20 (also HoF), but there have been appearances by some others. He has used a Porter-Cable BN200, an Accuset A200BN, a no name T31 clone, a Paslode 16ga nailer (actually that's more of a finish nailer), and the P-C PIN100 pin nailer.
The BN200 has had sporadic appearances, but the T31 and the SLP20 have been on consistently. The Accuset was only used twice, as was the Paslode. The PIN100 first appeared just last season, and was seen at least once this season, so I don't think we've seen the last of it.
I'd be surprised if the SLP20 ever goes away. I had a T31 and I have an SLP20 and the Senco is much better.
Keep in mind that when Norm first started shooting those nails through the dado he was using the Bostich N60FN. When the Bostich was replaced with the Senco SFN40, he used the SFN40 for a while for the same purpose. Then he started using the SLP20 for that and we haven't seen the SFN40 since.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
I'l bet he reads this and laughs.
-Dan V.
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:09:52 +0100, LRod

Dan Valleskey <valleskey at comcast dot net> wrote in message

I think he did. . . right after he thought about the potential of his being stalked by a crazed hobbyist.
Hey, we all have our particular madness, but somehow, a litany of brad nailer appearances (which is, I am very certain, is indeed accurate) smacks of celebrity cult idolatry taken a tad over the top. Sort of like cataloging jock straps used by Dennis Rodman over the years (well, he started with an XL "Bike"....)
Mutt
On 23 Apr 2004 05:10:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mutt) wrote:

I'd have to disagree. Imo, what's taken over the top here is your assessment of LRod's hobby. ;>

No, what's it's sorta like is someone who has a collection. Some people collect handplanes. Some collect knowledge. Some "collect" trivia.
Seems to me LRod's just got a really _great_ collection of trivia. But it isn't trivial trivia. If there's a tool in LRod's "NYW Hall of Fame", it's there for a reason, and one could probably make worse purchase decisions than to buy a tool that gets continual use in that shop.
No flame intended here, Mutt, just my perspective.
Michael
Dan Valleskey <valleskey at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Laughs because we talk so much about him, or laughs because LRod knows every single tool he's ever used? :-)
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) I know which one I think is funnier.

I'll try to keep that in mind.

Hi LRod,
Damn...you are the man! Just the information I was after.
I thought it was a Senco. I have the PC 100, 200, 250 & a heavy duty Bostitch for shooting 3 1/2 full headers.
And I thought I was anal about this stuff... but do you have all the videos?
I'm off to check out your site.
Seriously tho, thanks!
Lou

He used to use a Bostich N80S for projects that needed framing, but that's a clipped head gun. Later he used a Senco SN70 (also a clipped head gun) for the same purpose in a couple of projects.

There are enough people with questions that wanting to help answer them inspired me to do the research. I happened to have a bunch of episodes on tape when I decided to start, which made it easier. Then HGTV had a veritable blitz of episodes (four per day) for a few years, which made it easy to catch back episdoes that I didn't have, and in some cases, had forgotten.

I do.

Thank you, Lou. It's reactions like yours that make me glad I put the site together.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Real men don't use compressors. They eat beans for breakfast and supply their own compressed air.

Have you ever removed the tip "pad"? The tip is much smaller without the plastic cushion.

My PC nailer will almost fire it through the board if I set it up to do so, or leave it proud, if I choose. What air pressure are you using?
Barry

Thanks Barry. I've never tried to remove the pad, but I have varied the pressure to achieve the "set" I was after.
Norm has that tiny tipped nailer - looking old and worn now. Just watched/taped the Gardeners Dry Sink (1613). He used it again! Also used a pin nailer which I don't remember seeing in a previous episode. The portable OSS I vaguely remember in maybe one other episode. Have to check L-Rod's site again.
Thanks all for the help & comments!
Lou

You're going to be surprised. He's used the PIN100 eight times since its introduction last season. The PC-121 OSS has been used three times.
Just in case anyone's wondering (and in reference to another thread) I won't be cataloging Norm's socks.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 02:46:35 +0100, LRod

Have you ever seen the "Saturday Night Live" skit about the Mr. Belvedere Fan Club? <G>
I find your site interesting and entertaining, keep it up!
Barry
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:55:15 GMT, B a r r y

I haven't. What era of SNL? There are several. I'm from the Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, John Belushi era.

Thank you.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:08:44 +0100, LRod

I've followed the show since then, plus, they get rerun all the time on satellite channels.
The Phil Hartman / Chris Farley era did the skit, I seem to recall Victoria Jackson also being in it.
Barry