Norm

Page 3 of 5

He has that stuff because the underwriters want it seen on the show. In PBS you can't have sponsors with ads but you can have underwriters who generally have an extremely short identification clip at the beginning and end and then have to rely on him using the stuff on the show to get it seen.
I think he (and the producer) does a good job of picking projects that hit a middle ground in degree of difficulty. And the finishing is usually just an afterthought that takes up about 20 seconds at the end of the show. You could do a whole show to put a first class exotic finish on a piece.
And off the show in person he is a genuinely nice guy.
Frank
He has stated on the show that he is not very good with finishes. Everyone's got a weak spot.

CW wrote:

How true--my weakness is chocolate.
dave

Mine too - plus, that stuff is damned hard to wipe off my furniture pieces.
- Matt

I've tried repeatedly to use chocolate as a finish, but for some reason, it always disappears before I can get it to my furniture.

Not if it's got poly on it first....
Gary

Do I hear the makings of a sad shop story there? :)
Matt
Josh wrote:

Many of us have shapers and router tables. Custom profiles aren't that out of this world, but you could always substitute stock profiles.

Which works exactly like the $50 pocket hole jigs, only faster.

I agree, and you'd be shocked how many people buy the big ticket tools.
Barry

From what I have heard by a user, the "faster" part may be debatable.

Nobody is as good as we are led to believe. The nice thing about 'Nahm' is he make the same mistakes as 'normal' folks and sometimes the cameraman is fast enough to catch them and the producer leaves it in the show. If you had the resources that the two productions he's in have available to them, you too could look good if you had presence. Norn has learned to get some and he hosts the show very well.
Pete

Norm is fine for what he does, he attracts a lot of people to woodworking, but once you get past the initial stages and are making finer projects, he's really not all that interesting. I still watch him from time to time when I can, but there are things that he does that makes me cringe, especially his finishing and the ever popular "shoot a couple billion brads until the glue dries".
It's different tastes, I guess.
He talks funny !
Wear gonna bowar a 1/2 nitch hooe in this baward.

Don Dando wrote:

All of us New Englanders want to know what you mean.
Next, you'll say Cliff Claven talked funny... Jeez! <G>
Barry

Simple. Go To Texas and listen to how we speak. We of course speak English as it was intended. All Y'all up there add sounds to your words. :~)

... or take sounds away. It's draw-ERS folks, not draws, and when I read it car has an "r" in it, not a "w" :-)
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:50:21 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Actually, as you move down to Southern New England (East Westchester County to Charlie), we sound less like Norm, and more like Tony Soprano and Gene Simmons.
So yes, Norm does talk funny, but not as funny as Texans. <G>
Barry

Whew, the first time I read that I though you said that you sound more like Tony soprano and "Richard" Simmons. ;~)

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 18:25:45 GMT, "Leon"

Well, actually, Richard Simmons _is_ from "Lon Gisland"...

Its funny, send for measured "drawerings" of a chest of "draws". And that garden expert on TOH and Ask TOH.... I often have to pause, back up, mute to see the caption, and play my DVR forward again to understand what he is saying. Let's take a Wok to the Pock to see if the Goden needs Waddur.
And speaking of drawers, I and I am not the greatest speller, I have seen drawers spelled draws repeatedly.
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 18:34:56 GMT, "Leon"

In a recent episode, he (Roger Cook, by the way) was helping a gal with a sprinkler and had her digging a hole. The first shovelful she tossed on the grass and he said, "whoa, don't put it on the grass!"
She said, "that's where you told me to put it; on the top."
He said, "no, I said put it over here on the top." (pointing to the blue tarp nearby)
I've seen that episode two or three times and replayed it a couple more and I'd swear he said "top" too.
On another episode he had done some job in Cambridge and in the discussion after the segment the three others (Kevin O'Connor, Rich Trethewey, and Tom Silva) tricked him into saying something to the effect that he had to, "pahk the cah in Hahvahd yahd." He caught himself just afterward as the others were rolling on the floor.
Years ago I was working with a couple of guys from Ware County, GA (Waycross area), and when the two of them got together and started talking it was almost impossible to understand them.
One day I asked them what you called the thing you shot with a bow. "An err." Okay, what's that stuff you breathe? "Air." Alright, what's a mistake? "A Err."
They pronounced all three indistinguishably.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite