No respect for for the line...

Page 1 of 3

Hi all,
This has always bothered me (anal as I am).
Whenever I trace/draw a pencil line on a piece to be cut, I never have confidence in it. If I am doing (say) crown moulding, I will hold a piece up there and mark a line. I never/seldom actually believe in the line I just marked - I will allow an extra 1/4. It is never correct. Then I step down off of the 8 ft ladder and cut again. Now it's only 3/32 off. Down again, back to the MS to trim "a hair".
Still doesn't fit right.
OK, another hair...then another....
It's kind of funny every time I think about it.
Next time, I use a sharper pencil.
I "mark" the line, but I don't "respect" the line (I know it's a Seinfeld thing).
I've been a hobbyist for near 20 years now.
Still no respect for the line.
Maybe its time for a marking knife...but will I respect that any more?
Thank the Lord I don't have to do this for a living!
Lou
loutent (in 130920052032242993% snipped-for-privacy@dot.net) said:
| Still no respect for the line. | | Maybe its time for a marking knife...but will | I respect that any more?
Well, if you use a knife you might as well cut to the mark since it can't be erased. Challenge yourself to make every saw kerf remove just the waste side of the mark - it's possible, but not as easy as it sounds (pencil lines and laser guides will suddenly look fat and crude).
Don't buy one of the Lee Valley French-made ebony-handled marking knives! I bought one and it's absolutely useless. It's so beautiful that I just can't bring myself to actually use it - I use my old pocket knife instead.
FWIW, being AR might be an asset when your goal is a fine, exact fit.

I'm always game for a new toy, but other than a rotating laser level to install a counter, cabinets or wainscoting, I have found lasers on mitre saws a complete waste of time. The lighter the colour of the wood, the fatter the line. Useless. I always have a proper Staedtler pencil sharpener in my pocket. I use 2H pencils to mark my line and I get good results. I only go up and down that ladder 2 or 3 times, as opposed to the usual 6 or 7.
When the weather cools off, I sometimes use a mechanical pencil as I then have a pocket for it. In summer, the lighter wooden pencil lives on my ear. So much so, that when I'm on the phone, and somebody wants to leave me a number, I reach for my ear...even though there may not be a pencil there...much to the entertainment of my daughter.
I'm with Robatoy. I use #2 pencils all the time for just about everything. They are so cheap at the dollar store and when the back to school sales go on that I stock up.
They have to be wood; NO plastic or composite. Must be #2, and I like the round ones when I can find them but 'ol yeller works fine.
I keep a small pen knife that is razor sharp (aka: splinter removal tool) for sharpening my pencils. If I need something hair fine, I put that point on the pencil and usually get two marks out of it before resharpening. Who cares if you burn a pencil or two a day?
I sounds like you just need more consistent practice and you will be fine cutting your marks.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm sympathetic to the esthetic appeal of using a real wood pencil, but I've become quite fond of using a cheap (few dollars for a dozen) .5 mm mechanical pencil. It stays sharp all the time and marks a fairly fine line. Yes, you'll break the lead frequently, but you can feed more out with one hand and keep going.
I use a .7mm when I don't need the precision. It doesn't break as easily.
The downside, I can't get one to stay on my ear!
Tom
tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Got to hate it when looking up to mark a small piece of crown moulding and have the damn pencil slide off you ear, eh?
I believe God gave us ears for safety-glasses, cool shades..and pencils..NOT to listen to rap.

Yeah, I believe the same about rap... and every time I think about it or say it, I suddenly hear my dad saying "That ain't music, it's just noise" when I was a teen listening to CCR or Buffalo Springfield, etc., etc. Dave Hall
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw
Never could understand how Dad couldn't like the music of the swing era and Benny Goodman and others!

[schnippered]

Actually, it must be very difficult to spew that much bullshit in 3 minutes and have people actually buy it.

Buffalo Springfield was way up on my list in those days. Their music still appeals to me. CCR, on the other hand, is a different story. Not their fault. But so many really bad bar-bands butchered Proud Mary etc., that I couldn't even stand the opening chord of any CCR after a while. A total burn-out. Besides, my head made a left turn in there somewhere and started listening to The Doors, Hendrix, Who.... that kinda stuff.
Now back to our regular programming.
Robatoy wrote:[snip]> Buffalo Springfield was way up on my list in those days. Their music

Clapton is god.

No, Yngwie is God. Clapton is just really, really, really good.

no, yngwie is a pretentious plagiarist. Zappa is god.

Yngwie is a plagiarist? And, by your logic, God is dead, right?
Dave Hinz wrote:

yep. took 16th century classical music, arranged it for heavy metal instrumentation and claimed to have written it.

you'll have to ask god about that one.

Yngwie ripped off Nicolo Paganini's caprices and violin concertos. If you even hear them back to back, your chin will drop. That's not to say that Malmsteen doesn't have amazing technique, he has to have to play stuff like caprice # 5... but he is a plagiarist....IF he claims to have written any of that baroque stuff he plays....

Not to mention...damn. What are those guitar exercises really called? I always called them "The Arpeggios from Hell" but was regularly corrected. Some Italian guy from the 17th century or so...

Maybe Paganini was reading from the same Arpeggios book?

Note that I also didn't take exception to the "pretentious" part. I mean, he's not nearly as bad as that guy from U2, but he certainly has an ego.
Damn fast fingers, though. Oy - this is interesting:
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/l/li/list_of_popular_songs_based_on_classical_music.htm (mind the wrap)
Some of these are blisteringly freaking obvious, like "Hall of the mountain king" (the who, 1968) was inspired by the Peer Gynt Suite. No shit? Whooda thunkit? But yeah, some of them are surprising. Oh, and Yngwie is in there...
Anyone remember the guitar exercises I'm trying to think of the name for?
Dog is god (and my co pilot!) max

Clapton is highly overrated... IMHO. Cream was cool...Clapton got to be a bit of a bore.
BUT!
Live in Hyde Park is one of my absolute favourite DVD's (Gadd on drums....YES!!)
Hell... it's all good when it sounds good...cuz if it sounds good, it *IS* good. (I think Glen Miller said that.)
I have to confess to be a bit of a Joe Walsh fan...hehehehe...

You got those all night laundrymat blues, do ya?