nfilter

Hi guys.

doesn't seem to respond. I have been trying to get it for two days. Does anyone have it where I can download it?

There was a wrecker who was hosting it, but I tried downloading it and it was corrupted... said the install wasn't a valid Win32 application.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike W.

Yep, nfilter went away. I have a copy of the self-extracting installation file at

.

Doug Miller

Same here. Interested in getting a copy.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

I had the same problem. When you download it is is named np-120.exe. That is wrong. Rename it to np-120.zip. Open that in WinZip and select install.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Hill

I have never figured out what to do with it. I mean you put the netnews server in but what does it do? will it work with agent? and if so how?

Reply to
Steve Knight

Doug Miller

It runs as a proxy server. You configure Nfilter to connect to your news server, using the same configuration you now have in your news reader. Then configure the news reader to connect to Nfilter (usually using IP address

127.0.0.1) instead of the news server. Nfilter removes whatever you tell it to remove in the filter file before it ever reaches your news reader.

I don't know specifically if it works with Agent, but I know of no reason why it would not. Check the archives, maybe someone has already posted that information. I do know that it works with NewsXpress and Gravity.

You can download a copy from my website

Doug Miller

Sorry, that's not correct. np-120.exe is right. It's a self-extracting archive. Just execute that file.

Doug Miller

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:55:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote: [snip]

I've been using it with Free Agent, works great. Thank's Doug for the rules, they really help.

-- John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John, in MN

now I got it. wonder if it slows things down at all?

Reply to
Steve Knight

Thanks Doug for the file dat file...it's working great!

I had to change the extension of the np-120 from .exe to .zip, extract to install.

Thanks again...

Darwin

trying to

Reply to
Darwin

Slightly. But only when downloading headers. I haven't found that to be much of a problem.

Doug Miller

I'm using nfilter with agent. I just got it going this last wave of troll posts, but it seems to be working....

Reply to
Bridger

This is not necessary. It's a self-extracting archive. All you need to do is run it.

Doug Miller

There is a problem with that file that causes the installation to fail on some machines. This version (np-121.exe) appears to solve the problem:

Jim Wilson

Not significantly. If you put in a lot of rules, it *may* seem to slow things down somewhat, but the same thing would happen if you put the same rules in your newsreader. All in all, unless you have a very marginal machine (I.e., not enough RAM, disk space or processor speed to run your OS smoothly), you won't notice anything, except that you've got another program running in the background.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

Works fine for me in Agent (v1.92/32.572) under WinXP.

Reply to
alexy

Somehow the file I previously had up was _one_ byte short. dunno how -that- happened -- missing one NULL at the end of the file.

reminds me of the old joke: mathmatician 1: Eureka! I've just invented zero mathmatician 2: What's that? mathmatician 1: Oh, nothing.

Anyway, it's been fixed -- good downloads now.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

it was dog slow today. but when I set agent back to normal it was still slow but not as slow. so it may be comcast right now.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Well, it did not self extract on my Win2K machine. I don't know if the executable flag bits/bytes changed between OS versions or what. Although it showed a custom icon from the exe file Exlporer would not start it.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Hill