nfilter

Page 1 of 2
Hi guys. www.nfilter.org doesn't seem to respond. I have been trying to get it for two days. Does anyone have it where I can download it?
There was a wrecker who was hosting it, but I tried downloading it and it was corrupted... said the install wasn't a valid Win32 application.
Thanks, Mike

Yep, nfilter went away. I have a copy of the self-extracting installation file at http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe .
Same here. Interested in getting a copy.
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 02:21:11 GMT, "Mike W."

I have never figured out what to do with it. I mean you put the netnews server in but what does it do? will it work with agent? and if so how?
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

It runs as a proxy server. You configure Nfilter to connect to your news server, using the same configuration you now have in your news reader. Then configure the news reader to connect to Nfilter (usually using IP address 127.0.0.1) instead of the news server. Nfilter removes whatever you tell it to remove in the filter file before it ever reaches your news reader.
I don't know specifically if it works with Agent, but I know of no reason why it would not. Check the archives, maybe someone has already posted that information. I do know that it works with NewsXpress and Gravity.
You can download a copy from my website www.milmac.com/np-120.exe
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:55:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote: [snip]

I've been using it with Free Agent, works great. Thank's Doug for the rules, they really help.
-- John, in Minnesota

now I got it. wonder if it slows things down at all?
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Slightly. But only when downloading headers. I haven't found that to be much of a problem.

it was dog slow today. but when I set agent back to normal it was still slow but not as slow. so it may be comcast right now.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve,

why is it when you try something new something like that happens at the same time and you don't know if it is the new thing or the service? I hate when things like that happen.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Jack

Not significantly. If you put in a lot of rules, it *may* seem to slow things down somewhat, but the same thing would happen if you put the same rules in your newsreader. All in all, unless you have a very marginal machine (I.e., not enough RAM, disk space or processor speed to run your OS smoothly), you won't notice anything, except that you've got another program running in the background.
Jim
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:55:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I'm using nfilter with agent. I just got it going this last wave of troll posts, but it seems to be working....

Works fine for me in Agent (v1.92/32.572) under WinXP.
--
Alex

http://www.milmac.com/np-120.exe
I had the same problem. When you download it is is named np-120.exe. That is wrong. Rename it to np-120.zip. Open that in WinZip and select install.
Chuck
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 02:21:11 GMT, "Mike W."

Sorry, that's not correct. np-120.exe is right. It's a self-extracting archive. Just execute that file.
Well, it did not self extract on my Win2K machine. I don't know if the executable flag bits/bytes changed between OS versions or what. Although it showed a custom icon from the exe file Exlporer would not start it.
Chuck
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:56:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Thanks Doug for the file dat file...it's working great!
I had to change the extension of the np-120 from .exe to .zip, extract to install.
Thanks again...
Darwin

trying to

and it