Sam
Sambo145 wrote:

Mozilla Thunderbird or Forte Agent are good. I like Thunderbird.
You can also access rec.woodworking through the web at groups.google.com
Steve
On 04 Feb 2005 02:03:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Sambo145) wrote:

Sure. Use your browser with Google Groups: http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/threads?gvc=2
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Sambo145) wrote in

If you just want to lurk, Google is simple. If you want to post, then don't try to use Google. For some historical reasons, many of us filter Google-sourced posts. You'll only be seen by a portion of the wReck populace.
I use xNews as a reader. It's not perfect, but the threading is reasonable, the filtering is as good as I need, binaries are handled pretty well and the price is, well, free.
Check the recent past (archives) for free or reasonable newsfeed(s) to suit your requirements.
Patriarch
Sambo145 wrote:

free and stable.

The answer depends on what O/S you're using.
There are 'dedicated' newsreader programs (that's *all* they do), and there are 'multifunction' programs that will read news as one of their capabilities.
a partial list:
multifunction programs, available on multiple platforms: Netscape Mozilla "Thunderbird", also from Mozilla,org Outlook/Outlook Express (*NOT* recommended, tho some people like it)
For UNIX, and look-alikes, like the LINUX derivatives:
trn slrn xrn knode
For MacOS:
Thoth
For MS-Windows:
Free Agent (from Forte Systems) Forte Agent (a 'pay for' upgraded version of free agent) MicroPLanet Gravity
For more than you could possibly want to know, do a google search on "newsreader software"
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in

Actually, for more than you could want to know, but organized in a more useful manner, look at www.newsreaders.com
Reviews of various readers, sorted by platform, with links to their download sites when available.
John

I use Outlook Express. It's a piece of crap.
It was already on my machine and I've been too lazy/busy to install anything better. I'm watching for a concensus here...
- Owen -
Owen Lawrence wrote:

e=mail and a news reader. Lots more protection than MS software and more stable. Costs nothing! Installs easily. Keep your outlook (you have to use it for other stuff) and MS worked it out so that Firefox couldn't be used for MS updates.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Why use 2 products when 1 will do - Netscape 7.2? One app to install, does email and newsgroups from the same screen and is Mozilla internally, and is also free.

Well, Netscape doesn't have killfile support, last I knew. Usenet without killfiles is like a web browser without a popup blocker.
John DeBoo wrote:

Netscape 7.2 has some security flaws. It is essentially an AOL product now. FireFox is a "new and improved" version. as is Thunderbird.
Mozilla 1.7x and 1.8x is "less insecure" They are the "better" Netscape clones - Much better generally. More secure, faster.
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

I've said that before... in defense of my trusty old Shopsmith..
Of course, in later years I've added several free standing tools, but the SS is a great drill press.. wish I could say that NS was a great browser :(
I'll admit it.. I'm the one that bought Agent, instead of finding a crack..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Doubt you'll get a consensus. XNews is very good, and free (I use it). Other popular free readers are Free Agent, Gravity, and Dialog. Being free, you could try them all.
John
On 04 Feb 2005 02:03:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Sambo145) wrote:

agent is really good. they have a free version. also mozilla thunderbird will do though I have never tried it with newsgroups. http://tinyurl.com/4l0p http://www.mozilla.org /
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
If you want a simple newsreader with limited usefulness but simple to just read text Outlook express is it. A lot of people on the newsgroups just hate it (limited capabilities)but the others newsreaders can sometimes feel to complex for people who are used to the handholding that AOL gives.I use Xnews,and free agent and outlook express( different news reader for different groups type)The best advice it to try some and see which one feels best to you.

Xnews. Easy to use. Good filtering.
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 07:28:52 GMT, Nate Perkins

================================Not sure if AOL is truely in fact going to cut off newsgroups...seems to me I read it was a false alert....
But even my wife who does have an AOL account uses Forte Free Agent as her news reader... since it handles AOL's newsgroups a heck of a lot better then AOL own software...
That said... I use Firfox for web browsing...its free and much better then the browser Bill Gates wants us all to use...... Eudora (paid edition) for e-mail ...just to good for someone wh gets 100's of e-mails daily some personal some from mailing lists ...and I have been using Free Agent (the free version of Agent) to read newsgroups... for years and honestly I like it...
I may have to subscribe to a news service shortly however as my wonderful Cable company no longer carries the Chevelle newsgroup which is a major problem since I am restoring one... Xnews is the service that I was recomemnded to pay for...understand it is cheap but complete...
Bob Griffiths..
Bob G. notes:

AOL itself posts that alert EVERY time you go to open Newsgroups. If it is a false alert, you'd think someone would inform them.

I tried getting that up, and I tried Mozilla. Neither one will work with my AOL--latest version.
I was just about to say screw it, and use Google about once a month, but I'll keep trying for a bit longer.
Charlie Self "I think we agree, the past is over." George W. Bush
On 04 Feb 2005 19:18:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

===================Charlie...I just went out and checked my wives computer and the Ao-Hell she is running is 9.0 optimized.... BUT once she signs on she minimizes Ao-hell and fires up Foirefox to browse the net...or fire up Agent to read newsgroups... as much as I have tried to get her to use a "real e-mail" program she just keeps aol for that...
She did say she had a "little" bit of trouple configuring Agent..could not be much since She is more at home in front of a sewing maching then a computer...
Bob Griffiths