Newbie Question: When do you sand?

I'm about to put together my first real project and I'm not sure of the order in which I should do things. Do you wait until the very end to sand or do you sand the cut pieces once they're cut to side? I originally thought you'd sand right away to make it easier to mark the stock but that'd change the dimensions, wouldn't it? What's the basic order of building something? Cut to rough size, joint/plane, cut to size, assemble, sand, finish?

Reply to
Ben Siders

Good question for a newbie. actually good question I sand in two parts for the bigger stuff mostly. I sand to about 100 before assembly then to 150-220 after. if I am using screws, I set the holes, pull out the screws so some sanding to 120, assemble, then finish sanding It greatly depends on the joints, shape etc. You could sand a Jewelry box after assembly, but a chair which has nooks everywhere may not do so well especially if the wood came out rough. The less hand sanding I have to do the better.

Reply to
Young Carpenter