when to sand floor

We are renovating 2 attic rooms - stripping and varnishing doors and windows, wallpapering and sanding the floorboards.

At what stage should we sand the floor?

tia

Antony

Reply to
Antony

Before you wallpaper them.

Seriously though. Sanding will remove nearly all marks, but paint that's been left to soak in may be tough.

Personally, I'd do the sanding of the floorboards almost last, as you've then got less chance to damage the surface.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Before you wallpaper them.

Seriously though. Sanding will remove nearly all marks, but paint that's been left to soak in may be tough.

Personally, I'd do the sanding of the floorboards almost last, as you've then got less chance to damage the surface.

Do make very sure that all varnishes and stuff are totally set, otherwise the dust may get to them.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Conversely, sand em first to get the crap out of the way, and cover with tough membrane and tape it all up.

Varnish last, backing out the door..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I tend to always find that the tough membrane has a pinkhole in exactly the wrong place, and the most staining substance finds that unerringly.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Err, that should of course be pinhole. The other rather changes the meaning from the one I intended.

Reply to
Ian Stirling