Newbie Question

Would anyone have any info on making wooden signs with a router? I have seen these set-ups @ art fairs, flea markets, etc. Thanks for the help!

Reply to
davemccon

|| Would anyone have any info on making wooden signs with a router? || I have seen these set-ups @ art fairs, flea markets, etc. Thanks || for the help!

I have a web page with step-by-step photos and a description of my first attempt to rout a sign at the link below.

You may prefer lighter-duty equipment and using templates you cut on a scroll saw.

Morris Dovey

Now that is a wood shop Morris!!

All I can say is .........DAMN :) You could build an ark in that place.

I'm impressed. The sign is superb Morris, wish I had half the skills you have.

RangerPaul

Reply to
Ranger Paul

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 8:49am snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net queies: Would anyone have any info

Yep. Lose the html in the sig block while posting here. It's not considered polite here.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Actually, that _Woody_ Paul, Ranger _Doug_, and Too Slim. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

| Now that is a wood shop Morris!! | | All I can say is .........DAMN :) You could build an ark in that | place.

Only if it was a _tiny_ ark. If I could keep planes from for using the front yard for landing and taking off there'd be plenty enough room to build several arks outside. :-)

| I'm impressed. The sign is superb Morris, wish I had half the | skills you have.

I'll agree that it wasn't a bad first effort. I discovered forty-leven things that I'll do differently on the next one, though.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that it didn't take much in the way of skill. I drew the sign in about five minutes using DesignCAD with the customer watching over my shoulder. Then handed the drawing file to a CAM package and told it how deep to cut. So much for skill...

What's interesting is that the OP can design his sign with a CAD package, take the file to Kinkos to have it printed full size (might have to have it printed in sections if it's really big), use the full size print-outs to cut plywood or hardboard routing templates with a scroll saw, and then use those to produce as good or better results.

The hardest part of the job was dismantling the old sign and cleaning up the mess without trampling the shrubbery.

Morris Dovey

Ahh,... Swingman knows his Riders, let's not forget Side Meat though and those wonderful biscuits he rustles up from time to time.

I've seen em and met em before, got about 8 of their records, they're my heros!

Remember there's a wrong way and there's right way, and there's even an easy way, but there's no way better than.........The Cowboy Way.

Later gator,

RangerPaul

Reply to
Ranger Paul

I forgot about weather station in sig- sorry you find something so trivial so offensive!

Reply to
davemccon

JOAT is not alone in expressing a desire to respect the conventions of usenet, Dave. In these days of broadband it's not as big of a bandwidth issue as it used to be, but it is still a convention of usenet. Frankly, it tends to say something about a poster when they have been advised about including binaries in text-only groups, yet they elect to continue to do so. I snipped your weather binary from your sig in the above post. I have to wonder why a fellow would continue to post with a binary in a text group after someone has brought it to his attention.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I forgot about weather station in sig- sorry you find something so trivial so offensive!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

wrote

I forgot about weather station in sig- sorry you find something so trivial so offensive!

It is neither trivial nor offensive, but it is inappropriate and tends to screw up those of us who don't have broadband, not to mention those of us who don't much care what the weather is in Pawpaw, MI. What I get is the boxed red x, which is what many get. It is also a PITA to get off here without getting messages that it is inappropriate.

Reply to
Charles Self

My apoligies to the ng- webtv does'nt allow me to temporairily erase my sig- I'm outta here!

Reply to
davemccon

up those of us who don't have broadband,

However your own message was posted in HTML and four times the size!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's not a .sig they come after a sig delimiter of "-- " (dash, dash, space - the space is significant). If you could put a .sig separator in there, then it might defuse a lot of the problem.

OTOH, if your only net access really is through this obscure gadget and it _forces_ you to have the HTML carbuncle, then it's really no big deal. It's the equivalent of half-a-dozen lines, which is less "wasted space" than some careless editing in a quote. Better an interesting poster with a WebTV than someone like Vito or BAD running a perfect client with no content.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 7:48am snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net now doth claim: My apoligies to the ng- webtv does'nt allow me to temporairily erase my sig- I'm outta here!

Now, that's a load of crap. WebTV DOES have that option.

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

Uhh, don't look now, but you forgot to switch back to Plain Text; your post is in HTML

Pop

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... Ah, another one of those folks who use webTV.

It may come as a shock to you but webTV folks do many things that are offensive to Usenet denizens. That big ugly black line to the left of your message means that we can not bottom post as is standard among folks who actually know how to use usenet.

Another thing that you may not be aware of. That so called trivial weather station in your sig is exactly the kind of thing that allows scumbags to identify which computer received it. Which is why I block all such graphics in my e-mail and newsgroup activities.

Also, many newsreaders will not display any html. Which means that it is effectively blocked by many readers anyway.

Crap deleted

Reply to
Pop

Umm, you forgot to switch back to Plain Text., too. You're set to "respond in kind" and your response was HTML. And pretty large to boot .

Pop