New woodworking tool gloat

Page 1 of 3

Ever since I started working with wood I've been building stuff to make it easier to get better and better results with inexpensive tools (partly because I'm lazy and partly because I enjoy creating tools as much as I enjoy making things with 'em).
A couple of weeks ago I had a visitor stop by the shop to take the tour - and when he left, he carried off a little no-moving-parts gizmo I'd put together that'd caught his interest. One thing led to another; and Saturday morning I mailed back his copy of an agreement licensing production and sales to his company in return for royalties.
This is a first for me. Probably won't ever make me either rich or famous - but it's a good ego trip. The link below points to a web page with info. I don't know when it'll hit the market, but hope to see it listed in catalogs sometime in the next six months.
The gloat part: It'll be labeled "Made in USA".
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/ssq
Looks like a great Idea. I wish you all the best for full scale production. Hope you seel a million. and make a few as well
Connor

--
http://www.connoraston.com

Connor Aston (in op.s1l3paurqkab0d@vigor13) said:
| Looks like a great Idea. I wish you all the best for full scale | production. Hope you seel a million. and make a few as well
Don't know if I'll ever make enough to pay the shop rent - but your good wishes are *much* appreciated.
Congrats on getting to this guy before anyone else did. This type of device has been used on construction sites since the invention of the circular saw. Worked great when framing my windows a couple months ago.

I used to work for a hardware company. A guy sent us his new patent for a hasp with a hook built in. Odd think is that we were already selling it; in fact it was in our 1898 catalog. A year later I went to Mexico and found it on the door of a house built in 1575. Yet the US Patent Office gave him a patent. Go figure.

If the original actually had a Patent, it may have run out. Patents running out is the real "bottom line" reason that R12 is no longer used as a refrigerant in the US.

R12 (Dichlorodifluoromethane) was on the list of chemicals banned by a treaty in 1999. It had nothing to do with patents.
Dave

Actually DuPont's patent was running out in the early 90's They knew this and lobbied to out law R12 and replace it with a more environmentally safe refrigerant, one that they had the a new patent on. One that would not be as detrimental to the ozone layer. Unfortunately the newer refrigerant is more harmful to humans than the old R12. There was an ongoing article back in the early 90's in the automotive trades magazines with details of how this would unfold and it all happened as the articles indicated.
Leon wrote:

My biggest complaint about R134a is that it doesn't cool as well as "good ole" R12. As much as I like my Toyota, the a/c takes quite a while to cool me down. The older car a/c's could freeze you out while driving through the Mojave in August. One more thing to miss about the "good ole days".
Dave

You know, I have heard similar complaints about the R134a but I think that the new refrigerant is being blamed for a design problem in many cases. I have found that some of the new cars will cool faster and colder than others. So far our latest vehicles seem to cool much better than the old ones. With slow air flow and lots of stuff inside the dash that has to be cooled before you feel air as cool as it is at the evaporator you do have to wonder if the new works as well.
Leon wrote:

My truck (w/R134a) cools down much faster than my Sienna. The lowest temperature of both of them, after running for at least 15 minutes is no where near the lowest temperatures provided by the R12 equipped cars. I used to service a/c's with R12 and would get outlet temps near freezing on a summer day. Not gonna get that out of today's vehicles! sometimes I'd have to adjust or replace a component to keep the older models from literally freezing up (the evaporator).
Dave
Leon wrote:

With the way the US Patent and Trademark works today, they should simply remake the application and resubmit. It's guaranteed they'll get a new patent on the old tech.
er
--
email not valid

Yeah but the old R12 was cheaper the replacement is more expensive and leads to higher profits. + the new is not as "harmful" to the ozone layer. DuPont played this up so that they could sell their more expensive newly patented Freon. As a matter of fact, Swedish scientists at the south pole back in the early 1900's studied the ozone and documented that the ozone hole was larger then that it was in the late 80's and early 90's. This was all before automobiles were much of a common thing to see and Freon did not exist then. This is all big business and government and environmentalists scratching each others backs.
CW (in VKSmf.1779$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net) said:
| Congrats on getting to this guy before anyone else did. This type | of device has been used on construction sites since the invention | of the circular saw. Worked great when framing my windows a couple | months ago.
Yuppers. I'd seen guys using several kinds of squares as crosscut guides for framing. I liked the idea but the precision wasn't up to cabinet-building standards - and it was the precision and ability to recalibrate after a blade change that this guy liked.
Mine was.
said:

CW (in KA5nf.2055$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net) said:
| said: || ||| Congrats on getting to this guy before anyone else did. This type ||| of device has been used on construction sites since the invention ||| of the circular saw. Worked great when framing my windows a couple ||| months ago. || || Yuppers. I'd seen guys using several kinds of squares as crosscut || guides for framing. I liked the idea but the precision wasn't up to || cabinet-building standards - and it was the precision and ability || to recalibrate after a blade change that this guy liked. || | Mine was.
Interesting - who made it? I looked everywhere I could think to look; but never found a comparable product (although that was before Mosaic and my intro to the web).
I'm really curious.
I did.

CW (in 5Y6nf.3050$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net) said:
| I did.
Nicely done!
(Phew! I was afraid I'd somehow overlooked a commonly available commercial product.)
Near as I know, you're the only one to put it on the market.
said:

Congrats Morris.
I have a couple commercial versions of this already. And they are too short and are hard to hold down when using. Make sure this is wide enough to cut stock that is at least a foot wide.