Tool Gloat!

Folks -

It finally happened! I've got a gloat! This gal in my woodshop class has had a mess of tools and things in storage back east for several years. Anyway, she finally went back and got them all shipped out and had NO room for many of the items. I've helped her in the past, cutting down plywood, doing grunt work for her, she's just a slip of a thing, and has tested postive for AARP....

She has a Porter Cable Tiger Saw, about 3 cuts away from new, a Milwaulkee

1/2" BEEFY angle head drill, a Senco 2" finish nailer, and a Craftsman Stationary Drill press. She wanted me to have them for Rose and I going over to her place and assembling an huge old bookcase! Whooeee! I didn't say no!

So, we got the booty home, and I was checking things out... All this stuff was NEW - the power cords still had their twist ties and talcum on them. Though I am always on the lookout for a good deal, this was a bit over the top. I knew that she knew what the stuff was worth, but I called her anyway and told her that I'd consider it that I was just "storing" it for her until she got things better organised - I didn't want to take advantage of a situation. She was thankful, and very gracious, but was very sure she wanted me to have it. She explained that she'd tried to sell some of her other tooling, only to get a pittance for it, and she'd have more satisfaction knowing that it went to someone who would use it and appreciate it. In closing, she said she had a "whole bunch" of Freud router bits that she wanted to give to me, once she found them.

Sometimes fortune favors the foole!

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

Searcher

AARP?

And the spiraling winds of suckage. Thou suckest muchly sirrah, muchly.

(And for any anal people in the audience who want to point out that I didn't conjugate that verb correctly using the archaic verb forms... Yes, I'm perfectly aware of that. So nyah.)

Reply to
Silvan

you suck.

Reply to
bridger

If lending a helping hand when you can, making every effort to never take advantage of anyone, and being a good friend makes one a fool - you're in very good company. Though I'm sure it wasn't intended, your deeds are the gloat, the tools are icing.

Contrary to the opinion of the skeptics, good things do happen to good people.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

SWEEEEEEET!!!!!!! Gotta love those AARP beauties!!! ooops

Reply to
Bullwinkle J. Moose

Great line!

But you earned it. Good luck with it. And in return, if the new replaces anything old, dispose of it for the same price. It makes you feel good.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Have not posted for quite some time, but I had to chime in on this one...

you suck.

Kevin B.

Reply to
Kevin B

You certainly do!

AARP?

... snip of that which is too painful to read again

... and you sir, are a gentleman and to be commended -- upon such people should such gloats be bestowed. Good for you!

... and she seems a charming and gracious lady. Very good!

alright, that's over the top -- you suck. :-)

Congratulations and commendations. And for more than just falling into some good tools, also for your gracious actions.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

This reminds me of an event that happened to me about 20 years ago. I had an ad in a local paper for cleaning out attics and such, sometimes for the contents. Got a call from a little old lady about

70 to clean out her garage. When I arrived, she explained that her husband had died and she wanted all the stuff moved out of the 2 car garage so she could use it as a garage again. I took a look and found a 10" powermatic TS, Jet jointer, drill press, bandsaw, lathes (both metal and wood), and handtools too numerous to mention. Cutting torch, welding machine, basically a complete metal and woodworking shop.

I asked her how much she wanted for it, and she wanted nothing, just to get it out of there! I wandered around the shop for about an hour inventorying the place, but couldn't bring myself to just take it. I told her that unless she was very well off that I would try to sell it for her and give her the money and take whatever was left.

I called a friend of mine that had a cabinet shop. He came over and after he and a welding friend of his were through, the lady was $7,000 richer and I still had over a thousand dollars worth of various tools, bits, blades, etc, plus free use of the cabinet shop when I needed it!

I felt better than if I had just taken the whole shebang, and the little lady was thrilled.

Now that I have a few bucks in my pocket, I am waiting for a similar deal to come around again.

Reply to
Robert Allison

It must be about 15 years or so back there was this elderly woman at Loma Linda Hospital (CA). She was terminal. There was this one orderly there in his mid 20's. He noticed she never had any visitors come and see her so he started to chat with her and visiting with her on his breaks, sometimes taking her on wheelchair walks through the hospital area. The woman, as it turned out was rich and left the kid her house(a big one, Victorian style in Redlands) and a pile of cash. It pays to be nice.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Reply to