New woodworking tool gloat

Ever since I started working with wood I've been building stuff to make it easier to get better and better results with inexpensive tools (partly because I'm lazy and partly because I enjoy creating tools as much as I enjoy making things with 'em).

A couple of weeks ago I had a visitor stop by the shop to take the tour - and when he left, he carried off a little no-moving-parts gizmo I'd put together that'd caught his interest. One thing led to another; and Saturday morning I mailed back his copy of an agreement licensing production and sales to his company in return for royalties.

This is a first for me. Probably won't ever make me either rich or famous - but it's a good ego trip. The link below points to a web page with info. I don't know when it'll hit the market, but hope to see it listed in catalogs sometime in the next six months.

The gloat part: It'll be labeled "Made in USA".

Morris Dovey

Looks like a great Idea. I wish you all the best for full scale production. Hope you seel a million. and make a few as well

C> Ever since I started working with wood I've been building stuff to

Reply to
Connor Aston

Congrats on getting to this guy before anyone else did. This type of device has been used on construction sites since the invention of the circular saw. Worked great when framing my windows a couple months ago.

Reply to
CW

Congrats Morris.

I have a couple commercial versions of this already. And they are too short and are hard to hold down when using. Make sure this is wide enough to cut stock that is at least a foot wide.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Reply to
Lenny

Sun, Dec 11, 2005, 2:32am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (Morris=A0Dovey) proudly announces: get better and better results with inexpensive tools I mailed back his copy of an agreement licensing production and sales to his company in return for royalties. This is a first for me. Probably won't ever make me either rich or famous The gloat part: It'll be labeled "Made in USA".

Actually, most of us just figured you were cheap. LMAO Good on ya Morris. You were in the right place, at the right time - that's hard to do. It'll make you more famous, and rich, than most of us - Hell, you might even wind up being a hundredaire. Now I just hope the guy isn't gonna outsource 'em to Mexico, or China.

JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.

Reply to
J T

Good on you! Your CNC will be able to make a lot of parts for this gizmo, eh?

"Gizmo Square. The only corners we cut are square ones."

You will remember us little people, won't you?

Congrats, Morris, you deserve it.

Reply to
Robatoy

Very Cool Morris. I wish you Good luck. Show him the Router Dado Jig next time. LOL

Reply to
Leon

I used to work for a hardware company. A guy sent us his new patent for a hasp with a hook built in. Odd think is that we were already selling it; in fact it was in our 1898 catalog. A year later I went to Mexico and found it on the door of a house built in

1575. Yet the US Patent Office gave him a patent. Go figure.
Reply to
Toller

If the original actually had a Patent, it may have run out. Patents running out is the real "bottom line" reason that R12 is no longer used as a refrigerant in the US.

Reply to
Leon

It's pretty hard to miss - hanging on the wall next to my table saw. I restrained myself only because I've been waiting for you to come up with a version that allows using bits without pilot bearings.

He's one of the few people that immediately picked up on the cut placement aspect (the only thing that makes it different from squares already in use) and the ability to RE-calibrate to maintain cut location accuracy whenever saw or blade is changed.

Morris Dovey

| Congrats on getting to this guy before anyone else did. This type | of device has been used on construction sites since the invention | of the circular saw. Worked great when framing my windows a couple | months ago.

Yuppers. I'd seen guys using several kinds of squares as crosscut guides for framing. I liked the idea but the precision wasn't up to cabinet-building standards - and it was the precision and ability to recalibrate after a blade change that this guy liked.

Morris Dovey

R12 (Dichlorodifluoromethane) was on the list of chemicals banned by a treaty in 1999. It had nothing to do with patents.

Dave

TeamCasa

With the way the US Patent and Trademark works today, they should simply remake the application and resubmit. It's guaranteed they'll get a new patent on the old tech.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I wish you all success. Keep the ideas coming! Dave

TeamCasa

| Congrats Morris. | | I have a couple commercial versions of this already. And they are | too short and are hard to hold down when using. Make sure this is | wide enough to cut stock that is at least a foot wide.

My thoughts exactly. This one is a full foot wide and the saw fence is a foot long with screw holes so that it can be extended to whatever length is needed. I don't think I'd want to use it with an extension for precise crosscutting of stock wider than about two feet.

It does a really good job as is with stock up to a foot wide. The "extra" fence length is on the end where the cut starts (as opposed to where the cut finishes) to make it easiest to get the saw lined up right before starting the cut.

The only commercial version I've seen that provides for precision cut placement is a fairly recent lightweight plastic square that can be calibrated - but not re-calibrated after a blade change. I'm just too cheap to buy a new square every time I change blades.

Morris Dovey

| Now I | just hope the guy isn't gonna outsource 'em to Mexico, or China.

I don't think that's going to happen. Plans are to have 'em laser cut right here in Iowa. I was asked to set up the part programming to mill a promotional batch out of 6061 aluminum using the 'Bot in my shop. That prospect makes me a little nervous because I've never (intentionally) used the machine to cut metal before.

His other product, the Saw-Jaw, is made just down the road from me at the same facility that made the molded plastic parts for my Kreg Jig. My guess is that production will stay in Iowa.

Morris Dovey

| Looks like a great Idea. I wish you all the best for full scale | production. Hope you seel a million. and make a few as well

Don't know if I'll ever make enough to pay the shop rent - but your good wishes are *much* appreciated.

Morris Dovey

| In article , | "Morris Dovey" wrote: | || The gloat part: It'll be labeled "Made in USA". | | Good on you! Your CNC will be able to make a lot of parts for this | gizmo, eh?

Only the first batch and only maybe. I've provided CAD files that should allow going directly to laser cutting. Wow! Would you believe that that the laser kerf is only 0.01" to 0.005" (depending on the laser) in 16 ga. aluminum? I want a laser head for my 'Bot!

| You will remember us little people, won't you?

I can't even remember where I put my glasses - but you're still welcome to drop in for a cup of coffee and as much "show and tell" as you can stand. :-)

| Congrats, Morris, you deserve it.

Not sure that 'deserve' has much to do with anything but I appreciate your good wishes.

Morris Dovey

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Think you will find this one in Fred Bingham's book, "Practical yacht Joinery".

I made mine years ago.

BTW, glad to see you got a deal.

Lew

Reply to