new table saw

I`m returning my Craftsman table saw to them. It is a 10 " bench top. With tax it was $400.00. I want to buy another about $400.00 to $600.00. What would you suggest in brands? I want something that I can at least fine tune. Was not able to with the Craftsman. Patt

I recently purchased the Ridgid TS3650 after reading probably hundreds of reviews and articles. I have not been disappointed.
Patt wrote:

If you can go a bit higher... http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0478
If not... http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?keyS0000
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Minor correction - Number 12 wire is only rated for 20A. 30A requires 10.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

It surprises me that you cannot fine tune your saw Patt. What do you mean by fine tune? Are you talking about aligning the blade to precise parallel with the miter slot or are you talking about very fine adjustments of the fence? Either should be possible with any saw sold by Sears today.
Often the standard fence that comes with saws - especially in the $400 - $600 price range, are not the greatest fences and you really want to look closely at what you're getting for $600. Equally often, they are plenty good enough saws if you invest in a good aftermarket fence system. I put a Sears Align-A-Rip 24x24 on an old Craftsman Model 100 and I can get all of the precision you could want for building furniture. Simply. The fence system is dead accurate and easy to adjust. I paid under $200 for it. You can look at lots of other fence systems for way more than that, but you will have to decide if you're getting way more fence for way more money. All I can tell you is that mine is great.
Is this the saw you bought?...
[http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid922104000&vertical=Sears&BV _UseBVCookie=Yes]
If so, you should well be able to get the fine adjustments and precision you want out of it. Maybe you could provide more information.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Patt wrote:

Got my used delta unisaw for $350, plus $80 for new arbor bearings and $25 for belts. Another $300 for a new biesemeyer.
Can you get to $800 if you save for a bit? If so keep your eyes out for a unisaw or pm 66. You won't regret it.
A.M. Wood
Check http://www.tools-plus.com/del-table-saws.html They have a Delta 36-977 left-tilt contractor's saw advertised for $539, which sounds like its in your price range.
--Jim

I'd stick with the Rigid!

Thu, Sep 28, 2006, 4:13pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca (Patt) doth claimeth: I`m returning my Craftsman table saw to them. It is a 10 " bench top. With tax it was $400.00. I want to buy another about $400.00 to $600.00. What would you suggest in brands? I want something that I can at least fine tune. Was not able to with the Craftsman.
Interesting. I was able to "fine tune" my $60 HF bench saw with no problem. Of course the fence takes a lot of fiddling to use accurately, but by using a saw sled the saw is plenty accurae.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax
J T wrote:

Huh! Apparently you haven't read all the posts saying you need to shell out at least $800 (not including another few hundred on machinist tools for setup-- mere pocket change when you think about it) for a saw that is scarcely worthy for a stray dog to throw up on. Don't you know that runout of just .4 paramecium nose hairs can cause impotence, sunspots, and reversal of the Earth's magnetic polarity? Let's just pretend you didn't even use the word "accurate" in the same sentence (or paragraph or post or newsgroup or universe) as what I'll politely call the HF-word. There could be children reading this.
Fri, Sep 29, 2006, 9:55am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (boorite) doth inform: Huh! Apparently you haven't read all the posts saying you need to shell out at least $800 (not including another few hundred on machinist tools for setup <snp>
Guess it's a good thing I didn't know all that, because if I did, I'd have known I couldn't do it. But I didn't know I couldn't do it, so I went ahead and did it.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?. - Granny Weatherwax