New scheme by BORGs?

Page 2 of 3

Not only do our Borgs have them the local library now has one. Supposedly puts one library clerk out of a job.
The actual result? If a human doesn't stand there and oversee the device, people pretend to check out and then steal the books.
There's a lot of worse evils in the world, but somehow stealing books from a public library just really irritates me.
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

Our library has magnetic strips or something in the books - try to take them without checking out and an alarm sounds.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

My library has a system like that - though it's policed much like the neighborhood or mall car alarm - hardly anyone even looks up when the alarm goes off. The CDs, cassettes and videos regularly seem to not register with the system when you check them out so the alarm goes off about 30% of the time. I've even had the alarm sound when I return an item.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

a new library that just opened near me has rfid on everything. they know if the stack of items you take out is checked out by having a scanner at the exit.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/chaniarts
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:24:39 -0700, Tim Douglass wrote:

A long time ago I ended up with an unintended book. I had been doing research at the library amidst the research volumes. I re-shelved them and properly checked out several others.
The alarm went off.
I walked back over to the checkout desk and the pile was re-swiped.
Again, the alarm went off.
One more trip to the checkout counter for a third scanning.
The third time the alarm went off the security guard grinned and waved me through.
Had any of us ever looked in my briefcase we'd have found the offending volume.
That left me, a normally honest man, with a problem -- how to return it past the scanner / metal detector at the entrance.
I eventually opted to come back late at night and use the night drop-off.
Bill

For future reference, had they searched your briefcase you could have been arrested. Conceiling merchandise whether you intend to pay for it or not immeditely qualifies you as a thief with intent to steal.
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 18:43:36 GMT, "Leon"

And in Arizona this would be a capital offense with summary execution authorized.

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/relatedarticles/16544.php
http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/printDS/25838.php
Note our quirky law:
"Unklesbay said several factors played into his decision, from witness accounts that described Hernandez as provoking the fight to a state law that allows merchants to detain suspected shoplifters for law enforcement purposes. Another state law also allows people to use physical force when detaining others for law enforcement if it's necessary."
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:18:04 -0700, Wes Stewart wrote:

Yep ... and they could have looked into my briefcase, which I normally kept locked because it had spontaneously opened a couple times, as soon as the municipal police arrived with the search warrant.

And here in Michigan, sometimes a mistake is just that ... a mistake. I had a table full of books, some mine, some the library's. I had been there for hours. One of theirs got mixed in with mine. For all I know, one of mine might have been 're-shelved'.

This was a library, not a store. Libraries don't require payment last I checked.
I doubt a library would prosecute someone for a first offense, especially someone who was helpful in trying to fix the problem. Someone who wanted to steal a book would have kept right on going when the alarm sounded.
Brian Elfert
writes:

It does not matter where you are, if you pick something up and conceil it you can be liable for theft. Many libraries that I have been to do charge late fees, REQUIRE you to check out the book and some actually sell books. So yes many libraries do indeed require payment especially if you have turned in a book that was late.

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 01:00:11 GMT, "Leon"

Yes, yes. Thank you for protecting us all from the terrible scourge of absent-minded bookreaders. Now don't you have a McDonald's to sue for making you fat or something?
I know the law is the law, but it's important to use a little perspective and common sense.

Well I am not the one with the problem here. If you rely on perspective and common sense of employees of a library or store you may very well be the type person that needs to be reminded of this. I'd say 80% of retail and public workers believe that they are there for YOUR benefit. Those are the ones that get overly excited about some one breaking the law whether it be purposely or by accident. The other 20% realize where their paychecks come from and or why they are there. They tend to be the only ones with common since and perspective in situations like this. In my younger days I fell in the 80% group and most of us seemed to see eye to eye when it comes to theft. So it will be easy for you or I to use perspective and or common sense but keep in mind that it is the store employee or public worker that you must rely on to have the perspective and common sense after he has witnessed you break the law and does not know you from Adam.

Check this out from Saturday's Oregonian:
<http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/1117 879628162450.xml&coll=7>
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:38:13 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"

Self checkout technology is still too 'buggy' to be reliably useful, most of the time the cashier has to help out anyway. It tends to aggrivate customers (most of whom will refuse to use it again and want a real cashier afterwards), though I find it extremely useful when I only need one small pipe fitting or pack of saw blades and the lines are full of people with fifty boards or stacks of tile.
I find it interesting that the local Home Depot has self-checkout lines and always has at least five registers open on most days, while Lowes has no self-checkout lines and almost never has more than one register + service desk open even during Christmas rush. Seems that Home Depot is making enough with them to keep over twice as many real cashiers working.
--
http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
What is BORGs?

(a) a weak pun on the like-named aliens from Star Trek:The Next Generation, that 'assimilated' everything.
And travelled around in big, boxy, spacecraft
(b) an acronym for <B>ig <O>range <R>etail <G>iant -- originally referring to Home Depot, subsequently generalized to mean any of the big-box superstores. The 'Blue BORG' is Lowes, the "Red BORG" is Menards, for example.

It's not that uncommon for the bar-code scanner to double read on an item, especially if it's a non-flat shape which doesn't get picked up on the first swipe. _Usually_ the sales clerk will notice the double beep and correct it (did you check & see if there was a credit for 1 unit further down the receipt). When it's noisy, tho, they can miss it. It's pretty much up to you to keep an eye on the register, and make sure you don't get double charged.
John

Don't take this the wrong way but what's going on here is you not paying attention to your receipts. Double scanning is quite common - sometimes it *IS* intentional but most times the scanner burps or the checker hesitates during the sweep.
Maybe a lesson learned?
Chances are you'll be able to recover your overcharges.
Vic
Not to long ago, I checked out at the lumber aisle with some plywood and some small items. I told the cashier about the items on the bottom of the cart, she bent over with the handheld scanner to scan the small items. A couple of weeks later some of the items were surplus and I went to return them. When I located the cash register receipt with the plywood on it, I found that the items that I wanted to return were not on the receipt. She apparently didn't scan them.

hesitates

So you simply gave them back, right?
--
Regards,