New Power tool line from a name you know

Page 2 of 2
On 9/25/13 10:55 AM, Swingman wrote:

Well it worked, you son of a !!!!! :-p
--

-MIKE-

Something from the 7610 series? I have one of roughly the same vintage that is still the 1st router I reach for unless I need something with a lot more hp. It's a nice, compact unit, good quality and performance. I'm a hobbyist, not a professionial, but even so, 40 +/- years old and never even had to replace the switch or brushes. I've bought plenty of "premium" name tools since then that have not held up so well.

I have a 14V PC cordless. I liked it but don't use it anymore mainly because it's too heavy for overhead use and I have better now (the batteries went kaput and they were too expensive to replace). I wouldn't buy any of the new garbage. OTOH, the PC690 and PC7518 (have a motor in a lift) are still reasonable routers.

I really like my Bosch drills and drivers (have eight ;-). I didn't really like the older Makitas. I've gone through way too many batteries on them.
The following caught my attention in the article referenced herein.
"There's a sizeable gap in price and performance between DeWalt and Porter- Cable. This new line of power tools seems intended to fill that gap by appe aling to budget-conscious pros who want something better than Porter-Cable but may not need or be able to afford DeWalt."
When did Porter Cable stop being a professional carpenter brand? Porter Ca ble was all Norm Abram used on the New Yankee Workshop. I think he qualifi es as a pro carpenter-woodworker. I think of the following brands as pro t ools. Bosch, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Makita. Hilti, Metabo, and some of the other European brands are a bit different.

Pro grade does not mean quality. PC quality has been slipping since the late 90's.
On 9/24/2013 11:34 PM, Leon wrote:

Quite true, B&D trashed the company.
But then again B&D is total trash.
--
Jeff

'Bout the same time "professional" carpenters started becoming extinct, and getting boob jobs for TV. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

The line below, copied from the announcement, tells me there won't be much quality in the tools.

On 9/26/2013 9:26 AM, snipped-for-privacy@wind.net wrote:

Agreed, the first retailer offering the tools is not my first source for buying top quality tools. Obviously the product is aimed at the "WallMart shopper" category of shopper.