New Fine Woodworking magazin almost made me ill

Page 1 of 5
I just got the new Tools and Shop edition of Fine Woodworking. After browsing through quickly, it looks like there is some good stuff once again.
However, the picture of the burned down shop in the middle of the magazine almost made me physically ill. I had to sit down and put the magazine aside for a few minutes.
I guess the article succeeded at making me think more about shop safety. I have made this request before, but never found a good answer, so maybe I will ask again: I have a detached shop about 100 feet from my house. I have been looking for some sort of a remote transmitting smoke alarm for the shop that would sound int he house if I ever did have a shop fire. I am sure this is something that a lot of woodworkers could use. Does any know of anything like this that is affordable?
Thanks for any advice,
Joe in Denver my woodworkin website: http://www.the-wildings.com/shop /

It shook me up too. Not quite that badly, but that photo was pretty grim. And scary. My shop is in the basement. Under my 13YO son's bedroom. I really, really, REALLY don't want a fire in the shop. We have a heat detector there already, wired into the monitored alarm system, but that article has me thinking about sprinklers. I'd *much* rather deal with water damage to the tools, than fire damage to the tools *and* the house, and the danger to my family.

No doubt it's affordable, but is it practical? I mean, how much damage is going to happen before you can even get there?
Speaking of affordable... did you see that the article described fitting a 900 square foot shop with a sprinkler system for about $100 and a day's work? Sounds like a winner to me. Like I said, I'll take water damage over fire, any day.
You say you'll take water damage over fire damage any day, but I remember the hassles a relative of mine went through when trying to build a house just outside a municipality. They wanted him to get a sprinkler system installed because he was too far away from the fire stations. His insurance company was giving him flack about having a sprinkler system installed, because of the rate of false alarms, and water damage caused when that happened. Actually, they weren't so much giving him flack as soaking him (tee-hee) on the premiums. I think in the end he signed a waiver with the city to cover their butts, and life went on. But it dragged on for over a year, got in the paper, etc.
So I guess the idea of a sprinkler system is a good one, but it may be financially more expensive to deal with. I doubt in particular if your insurance company would cover ANY of your costs if you DIY. And if you consider how often your smoke detector goes off in your house when there's not actually a fire, and imagine repairing/refurbishing your tools on that frequency, you may want to reconsider. Then again, maybe your wife doesn't cook like mine...
Clint
wrote:

again.
magazine
aside
And
there
for
sound
work?
any

doesn't
Who is the redneck comedian who says that his wife is a terrible cook? But she has improved since whe figured out that the smoke alarm is not a timer.
wrote

there's
that
timer.
I remember now. It is Ron "tater salad" White.
Jeff Foxworthy?
wrote

there's
that
timer.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Some other comedian said "My wife treats me like a god. She serves me burnt offerings three times a day."
-- Mark
Mark Jerde writes:

I'm pretty sure I heard Rodney Dangerfield come up with that one, years ago.
Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx
both my insurance company and the fire service i subscribe to gives me a discount for having sprinklers installed. they don't use electronics to trigger, and it actually takes a lot of heat for them to go off. iirc, 175F at the ceiling. it cost me about $3k for about 3.5k sqft of protection when i was building my new house.

False alarm with a sprinkler? AFAIK the (often) red sprinkler caps break after becoming too hot. If there is no fire I'd be surprised if they become too hot. There is no detector like in a alarm system, and it's all mechanical.
--
mare

In article <1gne8e0.mejyly1z10008N%mare*Remove*All*0f*This*I*Hate*Spammers*@mac.inv alid.com>, mare
We had a sprinkler head let go at the printer I worked for a decade ago. After the fact, I wished I'd had the foresight to run into the room and drop off the POS color printer we were using that the boss wouldn't let me replace.
I haven't received the FWW issue yet, but I don't have a smoke detector in the basement shop, though there is one in the basement. Will pick one up when I go out in a couple of hours.
Hope the sawdust doesn't keep setting it off...
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:59:49 -0600, Dave Balderstone

They don't buy new toys for you until you break the ones you have. Modern sprinkler systems have a flow alarm which notifies (someone) when water is flowing in the sprinkler supply line. Apparently the risk of sprinklers going of is still well lower than the risk of an un-controlled fire, because most if not all insurance companies give discounts if you have sprinklers.

Get an ionizing one, rather than an optical one. Look for "contains Amerecium 241" and the NRC exemption stickers on the box. Optical smoke detectors will "see" the dust and think it's smoke; ionizing ones are much less likely to trigger falsely for that reason.
Dave Hinz

Thanks for the advice. As it turns out I wasn't able to get to the store tonight... The boy's swab came back pos for strep throat, so I had to pick up the prescription from the doc and the antibiotics from the pharmacy instead. He's been off school for two days and has to be off tomorrow as well.
Ah, well... I've booked tomorrow off and we'll cruise over to the Co-op and pick up the right detector for the shop. It'll be a good safety lesson for him.
Then, maybe we'll make a wooden dinosaur (no, I'm not talking about the old-timers here... they're not my type), I picked up a book of dino patterns on sale a while back, and his eye's perked up when I showed it to him today.
As JT sez, life is good...
<snip>

I had a smoke detector in the shop, set up about 10 ft away from the table saw. When the cut wasn't perfect, and the kerf burned a bit, it would go off, particularly with maple.
But that wasn't a false alarm - it was really burning.
Patriarch
Clint wrote:

Clint, in my opinion there is a lot of mis-information or urban myth in what you have said above. There are many types of sprinkler systems and one that is properly designed and installed will seldom if ever go off by itself. Most cases of accidental discharge are caused by human failings such as bumping a discharge head or damaging components such as the piping, or failing to properly maintain the system. The last stats regarding true accidental discharges I can recall was something to the effect of only 1 head failure per 17 million installed.
NFPA 13 and it's accompanying sub-standards outline the requirements for sprinkler systems installations. Worth a look if you can get your hands on a copy - maybe the local library.
Waldo
Some of the sprinkler systems I'm familiar with used a small vial in the sprinkler head the ruptured under heat and release the water. This system sounds pretty fool proof as far as false alarms unless it routinely gets up to a hundred and whatever in your shop. Are these things still considered worthwhile?
bob g.
Clint wrote:

Well, they're still selling them, and IIRC that's the type that was pictured in the article in FWW. My biggest concern with those would be protecting the glass vials from physical damage -- maybe a welded wire cage?

pictured
the
I have seen sprinkler heads protected by a wire cage, so they are available. Greg
Things must get more violent in your shop than mine. The light bulbs hang out at that same level. Can't remember ever breaking one of them.
bob g.
Doug Miller wrote:

Yup. Make sure whatever you buy is NFPA-13 compliant.