Need opinions on garage cabinet project...

I told myself I'd get organized this year, so I'm making some MDF-carcass cabinets with face frames, doors and 1/4-ply backs: approx. 79"Hx47"Wx16"D. I plan on hanging them (kinda like kitchen cabinets) on the wall...to keep them 6" off the garage floor...on three rows of 1"x2" strips (screwed to studs): top, middle and bottom.
I'm a little concerned about the weight of these things. Does this "hanging plan" sound workable? Thanks a lot, guys.

That is going to be a lot of weight on that wall. Considering that they will only be 6" off of the floor I would certainly build a 6" tall base to set them on and then attach at the top to the walls to prevent tipping.
tom wrote:

For only 6" off the floor you may as well use legs or a base of some kind.
However, if you really want to hang them, consider using a pair of french cleats (top and bottom) that can be built into the cabinet for more strength.
Chris
"tom" wrote in message

79"Hx47"Wx16"D.
"hanging
You plan would be quite workable with plywood, but dicey with mdf ... AAMOF, I wouldn't even try.
If mdf is your final choice, you really want to consider placing the boxes on a 6" base, let the floor take the weight, and let the hanger strips fasten them to the wall.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/27/07

I also would recommend plywood or even OSB since you are adding face frames. 6" off the floor suggests they will also serve as the base for a counter or workbench. Don't know what your reasoning is for the 6" but if its water but bricks under the cabinets with plastic between the bricks and cabinets to keep the water out. I wouldn't hang them to use as a base for a workbench.