Compton Garage project

Hi Can anyone advise - i have an old Compton garage (concrete panels all slott ed together, old concrete/asbestos roof, popular in the '80's!). The roof h as all but fallen in so about to start a project to replace the roof (Compt on Spares quoted £2.5k for new roof!!!), and wondering about cutting i n to the walls to put big garden doors in to turn it in to a garden room.

Has anyone experience of this kind of project? Any advice or ideas would be greatly received.

Thank you!

Reply to
iamdorisday

No direct experience, but because the panels contain rebar you might find it best to try to remove a whole number of panels. Obviously, taking anything out reduces the overall structural integrity but if you are starting by taking the roof off then there is scope for putting in "lintels".

Reply to
newshound

I have a Marley of a similar style. The panels have steel re-inforcing rods in the concrete, so I wouldn't think of cutting in to them. I suspect the integrity of the garage requires all the panels to be there. Also the height at the sides isn't reallly adequate for a door

Reply to
charles

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk pretended :

I built my original 24' x 12' panel garage, later modified I it to remove the middle section of the rear wall to add a workshop extension to the rear, then replaced the entire asbestos roof.

You have to keep in mind, that the panels are balanced on a 2" wide edge, relying on its neighbours to stabilise it, the roof beams and other panels at right angles to it - those panels can be really heavy, maybe 2cwt each. The panels are concrete, steel reinforced and really difficult (impossible) to cut, so think in terms of removing entire panels.

The best solution I found for the replacement roof, was the angular corrugated steel sheet.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield