Need Library Suggestions

What are good books to consider for additions to a Woodworking library?

So far I have:

  1. Measure Twice, Cut Once by Jim Tolpin
  2. Band Saw Handbook by Mark Duginske

I need general Woodworking books, and information on gluing and sharpening as well as other Woodworking information.

philly45

Reply to
philly45

Philly: Just about anything you like from the Taunton Press (publishers of Fine Woodworking) will satisfy.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

1) The Complete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee 2) Sparpening with Waterstones by Ian Kirby 3) 200 Original Shop Aids & Jigs for Woodworkers by Rosario Capotosto 4) Ingenious Jigs & Shop Accessories from Fine Woodworking 5) The Router Handbook by Patrick Spielman 6) The Lathe Book A Complete Guide by Ernie Conover 7) The Tablesaw Book by Kelly Mehler 8) Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking Vol 1 & 2 by Tage Frid 9) Wood Carving - The Beginners Guide by William Wheeler & Charles H. Hayward 10) Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner 11) Shop Savvy by Roy Moungovan 12) Cabinet Making & Millwork by John L. Feirer 13) Practical Electrical Wiring by Herbert P. Richter & W. Creighton Schwan 14) The Woodworkers Shop by Percy W. Blandford 15) How to be your own Architect by Goddard and Wolverton 16) The Woodworking Series by Nick Engler

others on my "to buy" list include

Dust Collection Bandsaw ...and on and on.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I forget the title and author, but something like "Fixing and Avoiding Woodworking Mistakes" by some Polish-sounding guy with too many Z's and W's in his name. Nclewzrycy? Something like that. Google, I looked it up and mentioned it within the past six months.

Reply to
Silvan

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:59:06 GMT, "philly45" brought forth from the murky depths:

What type of woodworking do you do/want to do? Books have been written for nearly every style, technique, and machine.

General reference books: =======================

"The Workbench Book" by Scott Landis

"Cabinetmaking and Millwork" by John Feirer

"Encyclopedia of Furniture Making" by Earnest Joyce

"Practical Design: Solutions and Practices" Taunton Books

"Dovetail a Drawer" video by Frank Klausz

-

Neanderthal library selections: ==============================

Anything by Roy Underhill. His "Woodwright's Shop" series comprise the Neanderbible.

Anything by Eric Sloane. Some reminiscing + woodworking info.

"Old Ways of Working Wood" by Alex Bealer

"Practical Carriage Building" by M.T.Richardson

- Woodcarving library selections: ==============================

"Essential Woodcarving Techniques" by David Onians

"Architectural Carving: Techniques for Power & Hand Tools" by Mike Burton

- Wood Finishing library selections: =================================

"Hand Applied Finishes" by Jeff Jewitt

-

See Groggy's site for more book referrals:

Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry,

I will be initially building shelving, counter tops, and bookcases. Once I master those I will try drawer assembly and possibly box assembly.

Philly45

Reply to
philly45

Sandor Nagyszalanczy?

As far as the original question, folks have covered it pretty well, but I'm not sure anyone mentioned Tage Frid. He covers a lot of ground in his two-volume set _Teaches Woodworking_. Among more recent books, Taunton published a couple of good general interest books last year (or was it earlier this year?): _The Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery_ by Gary Rogowski and _The Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction_ by Andy Rae.

Another book I have on my list is _Woodworking: The Right Technique: Three Practical Ways to Do Every Job-And How to Choose the One That's Right for You_ by Bob Moran. It's supposed to have Neander and Normite approaches to the same job. (So at least 1/3 of it will be useful. :-)

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

I've gone one up on Jim Tolpin. I seem to use the 'measure three times, cut twice' philosophy.

I read a book recently called "Tools of the Trade" by Jeff Taylor. Very very good. It was shades of Tom Watson (or vice versa). Not much, uh, technical information, but an outstanding read. He tells stories of everything from Yankee Screwdrivers to a 3" slick. After all, most of us aren't in this for 'production.' It's a journey, rather than a destination.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

Check the local library, they might have something for you to borrow and see if you want it.

I find many good woodworking books over there, from the furniture makers encyclopedia to Norm Abrams books to books about collections of good projects from the editors of woodworking magazines.

Hasan

Reply to
Hasmonean Tazmanian