need advice on hand sharpened Disston saw on ebay

I'm thinking about bidding on this saw:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%0670448957&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
Any idea what it's worth or how much time goes into sharpening a saw like this one?
Just how difficult is it to do a decent sharpening job?
Thanks in advance

Google loves you, brother: http://www.medalliontools.com/HandsawSharpeningService.html but the prices will vary by quite a bit, based on area, skill and demand. Here's a guy who specializes in sharpening Japanese saws: http://www.daikudojo.org/Links/mark_grable_saw_sharpening_service.html
The amount of work involved...? http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/primer/sharp.html

Define decent. A guy that knows what he's doing will _improve_ on the factory sharpening job. The seller from that auction has 100% positive feedback, says he sharpened it himself and that he stands behind his work. What are you questioning about the seller or auction?

Just finished reading vintage saw's guide to filing. The whole process sounds like a lot of very tedious work. Thanks for the links!
In article

Like many things it depends on whether you keep on top of it! Good steel, do it regularly, it's a few strokes of the file per tooth. Wait till the saw has got blunt and it can take a while.
Also like many things, I heard that pre-war Distons - very good, post war not so good.

IANAE, but my observations based on my limited efforts to date.
Rip is much easier to sharpen than crosscut, IMO. I don't do much handsaw ripping except when cutting dovetails.
Circle Saw in Houston will machine sharpen your crosscut or rip saw for $3 or $4. It comes back to you sharp and with the amount of set you specify. Allow a week for the service. They engrave your name on the blade unless you tape lots of notes on it telling them NOT to engrave the saw.
(as I type this, NCIS is on and Gibbs is sharpening a handsaw with a saw vise mounted on what looks like one of Morris Dovey's tripod sawhorses and some sort of file holder/guide I did not recognize.).
Finding the right files can be a PIA. The internet ended up being my friend..
Put a handle on the file before you use it (should go without saying, but sometimes I get in a hurry and then poke a hole in my hand).
Store your sharpening files in soda straws.
Get a cheap saw at yard sales to practice on. Use it for a scraper later.

I have one D23 purchased new in 1983. It has been a good saw, and cut a lot of wood over the years. Maybe not as good as the older ones, but still a good saw..
Maybe Josh or Luigi will wade in on the topic. They have a lot more experience than I do.
Regards, Roy
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:25:15 -0700, tonyfranciozi wrote:

ViewItem&item%0670448957&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
Not one of Disston's best, but not a bad saw. Take a look at:
http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/d23page.html
The 10 ppi is a fairly rough cutting saw, not a finishing saw.
As far as sharpening, it requires a moderate amount of practice and the proper files.
I wouldn't go over $15 including the shipping for a saw I'd never seen. And $10 without shipping will buy you a good old Disston, or Atkins, or Simonds, etc. if you're willing to invest some time going to estate sales.
Me, I'm partial to the Atkins "Silver Steel" line, but they are difficult to find.

OTOH, it might be worth the $12.58 (current bid plus shipping) just to cut it up and make scrapers.
Just a thought.
-Zz
A cross cut uses a tooth set - one that bends each for the kerf. On a rip saw the teeth are in-line. Little or no kerf added.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 7/27/2010 6:51 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:25:15 -0700 (PDT), tonyfranciozi

If you flatten and reset all teeth, then sharpen, your first one might take you a couple hours. The second would take you less than an hour, and the third about half an hour, once you develop the feel for it and get into the groove. It's a Zen thing.

Not all that difficult...if you have the patience.
-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

To get some idea of what is involved, Tony might like to look at http://tinyurl.com/35no6kj
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Well, it sold just a bit ago for $15.99. Did you, or someone else on the group buy it? Curious, as opposed to trollish, minds want to know.
Regards, Roy
P.S. - No whacked out psychos off their meds need to respond to this thread. Just be on your way. (hands making schooshing motions)
tonyfranciozi wrote:

------------------------------------- You can buy a new one locally for maybe $5 more than shipping charges.
Why bother?
Lew
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 23:10:41 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Why buy a James Swan slick when you could have a brand new 4-pc Harbor Freight chisel -set- for only $5, Lew?
-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard